Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Boatmurdered in D&D  (Read 8092 times)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boatmurdered in D&D
« on: May 07, 2011, 02:00:35 pm »

I don't know if anyone else did it before, but I plan to play a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

With 7 dwarves.

In Boatmurdered.

I honestly don't know a lot about D&D, but for what I know, this could be very possible. No mages allowed, since wizards don't exist. One doctor, one ambusher, one legendary cheese-maker, and 4 dwarves with random assortment of stupid weapon combination. Each of them very addicted to alcohol, and with an abysmal intelligence score.

Sent to reclaimed Boatmurdered, many will die to Elephants, demons and other Eldritch Abominations.

But I ask you, what else could we meet there? What could happen?

I'll make sure to tell you guys about it when this game starts.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Boatmurdered in D&D
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 02:34:31 pm »

um... have you ever played dnd?
You need more people for that.

Do you want to be a player, or the dungeon master?
You would also have to ban clerics, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerors, bards, and tons of other stuff.

What is it exactly that you want?

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »

um... have you ever played dnd?
You need more people for that.

Do you want to be a player, or the dungeon master?
You would also have to ban clerics, druids, paladins, rangers, sorcerors, bards, and tons of other stuff.

What is it exactly that you want?

I have a friend very knowledgeable about D&D that can take care of the technicalities. A lot of my friends play DF so it wouldn't be hard to gather 7 players and one DM.

Aren't rangers the same as ambushers though? Dwarves can use crossbows, and even bows I believe, if you can find them.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 02:41:28 pm »

No offense, but it's pretty obvious you haven't actually played much D&D. This kind of thing wouldn't really work for it.

D&D is based off of exploring and fighting, two things not exactly in abundance at Boatmurdered. Other than some random combat encounters with elephants, I can't think of much else you could logically do with this.

If you want to run something Boatmurdered though, I'd recommend expanding significantly off of Boatmurdered. You could start with the basic setting, but you'd have to add a lot overall. Read through the DM's guide, and then consider if you want to do it or not. Boatmurdered is awesome, but doesn't really fit into D&D.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:33 pm »

I think boatmurdered would make a great campaign-- race limitation dwarves, classes: rogue, fighter (maybe cleric). Don't make it a reclaim though, seven character, experiencing the fortress' history from beginning to end. 
Make most the party into fortress guard and some into random roguish craftsmen and hunters, even a random ambush can be an adventure for a low level party, and at high levels it could be like stopping epic legendary dwarves from flaming killing rampages.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:08:14 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:59:03 pm »

No offense, but it's pretty obvious you haven't actually played much D&D. This kind of thing wouldn't really work for it.

D&D is based off of exploring and fighting, two things not exactly in abundance at Boatmurdered. Other than some random combat encounters with elephants, I can't think of much else you could logically do with this.

If you want to run something Boatmurdered though, I'd recommend expanding significantly off of Boatmurdered. You could start with the basic setting, but you'd have to add a lot overall. Read through the DM's guide, and then consider if you want to do it or not. Boatmurdered is awesome, but doesn't really fit into D&D.

Actually, DnD is about decisions and encounters.

Exploring falls under decisions, but there are other categories supported, and the relevant here are probably about fortress design, logistics and defense. DnD player groups usually keep their characters moving, and seek out the encounters, but it's no problem at all to turn that mechanic inside out and have the encounters come to them.

In addition, there are several themes in DnD that can be adapted to the Boatmurdered scenario: Characters sometimes have a base of operations. Often that base is merely glossed over, but as a supposed "safe spot" it easily provides motivation for adventure should it get threatened, due to or independent of the characters being there. Continuity is another; create a theme for a set of loosely connected adventures and you have a campaign going. Having all the adventures revolve in and around Boatmurdered is obvious campaign material with very easily established continuity, which is very good since seeing the effects of their toils can be very rewarding for characters. You don't have to make a campaign of it, though; Post-apocalyptic BM is a dungeon, plain and simple, with some design peculiarities that could be as entertaining as the encounters themselves, and can be forgotten after one visit. Pre-apocalyptic, however, provides oh-so-much possibilities.

I should know; some of my most successful DM:ing have been city-building campaigns.

Having said that, I doubt you could recreate the founding and growth of Boatmurdered perfectly in DnD. For one, the players would look quite strangely at any DM that tells them "No, you can't dig stairs"! However, the general themes and spirit of BM would probably translate just fine. Elephants! Misery! Insanity! Not necessarily in that order!

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 05:04:30 pm »

Supposing Boatmurdered is cleared without the party being wiped, we could also move on to other legendary fortresses.

As I stated above, I've never even played D&D, only read about it.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 05:09:21 pm »

D&D would actually be cool if they made a campaign that did away with all the fighter/rogue/ninja crap and enforced classes like "Soapmaker", "Glassblower" and "Milkmaid"

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:18:33 pm »

Doing a fort in D&D is hard.  Doing a DF Adventure in D&D is easy.

Duhwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »

Adventure mode basically is DnD anyway.

-Party: Check

-Race/skills: Check

-Weaponry: Check

-Monsters: Check

-Quests: Check

-Everythings random: Check

-Ect: Check

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 05:32:45 pm »

Perhaps the word "reclaiming" has been misused in my first post. I only meant "reclaim" story-wise. A bunch of dwarves sent to investigate on what happened and stuff happens to them. I do not intend on running a Fortress in D&D, the game wasn't really made for that.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 06:00:36 pm »

I imagine something like a dnd game set in boatmurdered as a city, from which the party doesn't ever leave, for some reason. Assume the chasm as it was is more like a 3-d cavern with an underdark connection.  Classes like soapmaker would probably work as skills or something, and give plot hooks to whoever is developing the story.
 It could totally work:
i.e. elephant attack, followed by quest to resolve tantrum spiral and help someone or other bury their dead before they decay, while there is a goblin ambush in progress. everyone levels up, gets a new axe or whatever, like any other dnd game.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 06:32:17 pm »

I haven't actually read the Boatmurdered saga, so I can't give you any specifics, but turning a DF fort into a DND campaign shouldn't be a problem at all. With Boatmurdered's history already laid out, you've got the story background for the campaign, which simplifies things a lot, as you've got a timeline and major events such as sieges, megabeast attacks and so on, as well as story fluff (families, artifact crafting, births and deaths, nobles ordering people to get battered to death and so on) to make the setting feel more alive. It could also problematize it though, if your player group already knows the story of Boatmurdered, as any major events would be predictable (even though a replay of a historic event probably would end up different due to player choices and dice rolls), which would make the story stale.

First of all though, throw away any idea of transferring DF professions into DND classes. While you on some level can equate an ambusher to a rogue/ranger and a hammerdwarf to a warrior and thus make the conversion simple for those classes, there's a lot far more ambiguous or simply uninteresting ones, such as lyemaker, plant gatherer and cook and so on. What I'd do instead of building the character up around the DF professions, is that I'd premake / let the players make their dwarves, then figure out what DF profession their character likely would fall under based on their class, stats, personality, preferred gamestyle and personal desire - for instance, if you've got a guy who rolls a dwarf rogue with high social skills (CHA) and trap know-how, you could say he fills the job of a mechanic and bartender in the fort. This can (and should) have impact on what happens to that character during the actual roleplaying, but for what's actually put on the player's character sheet, the fact that this dwarf is a mechanic and cook in DF-terms is completely irrelevant.

Basically, let the players build characters as what they like using the standard DND character creation (without wizards etc. if you want to stay true to the DF setting, of course)  then see if they'd fit into some DF profession niche which can be used as roleplaying tool by the DM and players throughout the campaign.

Deciding the setting should be the first step for the DM in planning the actual campaign. I'd think I would either run a party of dwarves during a "random" year of Boatmurdered's settled story, or have the party be explorers finding the abandoned for many years after its glory days.

If you'd go for a story during the fort's life, your campaign will be somewhat atypical to standard DND, as it usually revolves around exploration and combat more than social interaction and city dynamics. That being said though, there's always plenty to do in settled situations - detective work (who let those burning puppies out!), general mischief (let's put this goblin corpse in the town well!), subterfuge missions (The baron's a prick - let's kill him and take his place!), cave exploration (okay, there's a candycane down below. Go take a look, lads.) or any other scenario that could take place in a living dwarven fort.

For a post-fort exploration type of campaign, you'd be more back to the basics of DND, with dungeon-crawling and monsters galore. Thanks to DF's detailed storykeeping and the probably existing Boatmurdered maps, most of the work is already done for you - the dungeon layout is mapped, although you should modify it to make the fort more or less linear (depending on what you prefer - linear dungeons are easier to plan out when it comes to events, while nonlinear dungeons means the sequence of events can be shuffled, which the DM can use to vary the outcomes). Think old fort - caveins causing rubble to block passageways, or entire dormitories and storagerooms filled with magma or water, and yet other rooms overtaken by cavern denizens, the offspring of ealier tamed creatures, overgrown, muddied underground jungles and maybe even a clown or two.

I feel either choice would have a ton of possiblities, as long as you keep it creative and fun. I'd advice you against simply doing a rendition of Boatmurdered events played by your player characters, though.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:04 pm »

I've never played DnD either, but it seems that the easiest option is to have the game set after the fall of boatmurdered.

The players have to explore the ruins for items and cavern creature encounters, gather resources, build defenses and use them to defend the fort from skeletal elephants and vengeful goblins, with the final boss creature being the fearsome Urist McRip-Your-Face-Off-With-A-Sock.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:03 pm »

I suggest that the players are dwarves trapped in some locked room after the fort was abandoned.(yeah retcon) They need to get out. They fight through berserk dwarves on fire, cats, dogs then realize they went the wrong way when they get attacked by imps. Explore other parts of the fort, occasionally return to the_only_safe_place to rest. Maybe find someone who kept their life and sanity and help them with something for stuff/advice. Finally get to the front gate only to find out that they cannot get out that way, because of ....something (is there a trope for a situation when you can see the exit, but cannot use it and have to look for a different one?). So they have to get out through some catacombs with undead dwarves or something. Or find the lost legendary escape tunnel of StarkRavingMad. In the end they get a final boss fight. Elephants of course.

Definitely not a bad setting.
Pages: [1] 2 3