Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Advanced Placement Courses  (Read 4406 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Placement Courses
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 09:55:17 pm »

...Yeah, I'm going up the road hopefully for nuclear engineering or some other form of engineering, it's a good school but it's still new.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 04:05:49 am »

Dammit forums. I feel bad about myself again. And I was second place in my big high school for number of AP tests.

European History (10)
United States History (11)

English  (12)
Calculus (I don't remember if it was AB or BC)
Physics
Microeconomy
US Government

I think that I can still claim most overpreparred for my current job, though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 11:38:38 am »

AP courses are great.  So are CLEP (College Level Examination Program) tests.  My biggest regret about college is not taking a buttload of these my freshman year.  They are pretty darn easy and they let you replace an entire introduction level course with just one test.  I'm not advising you to skip over all the intro level courses.  They're good for easing yourself into the shock of the college environment.  But CLEP tests are pretty cheap and give you lots of flexibility to explore your college options.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 11:56:51 am »

It's ancient history now, but I took

World History (5)
US History (5)
English (4)
AB Calculus  (5)
AB Calculus (5)

Don't think they had half the courses you guys are listing back then. Didn't take any AP science courses, cause I opted out of that track in high school so I could focus on our video/film program (back when I thought I wanted to be a filmmaker).

Nice thing was that since I went into a social science/humanities degree, and the all-campus prereq's only called for 6 hrs of math, I never had to take another math course again. I finally took a statistics class in grad school, just to bolster my research skills.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 12:06:44 pm »

Statistics is a course that I would recommend for everyone even if they aren't planning to take any other math courses.  Great stuff to understand.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 12:26:10 pm »

Chinese 5
Stats 5
CompSci 5
Physics B 5

This year I have
Chemistry
Calculus BC
US History
Biology

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »

My school doesn't offer AP, but I went to a nearby school and took the Japanese one about a month ago. If we're just counting college credits earned while in high school though, I have that in spades.

Japanese 101 (5)
Pre-Calculus 1 (5)
Pre-Calculus 2 (5)
Calculus 1 (5)
Calculus 2 (5)
Physics 101 (5)
Physics 111 (5)
Interpersonal Communications 227 (5)
Money Management 114 (5)
Health 101 (3)
Western Civ 117 (5)
Western Civ 118 (5)
English 101 (5)
English 102 (5)
Psychology 101 (5)
Cross-Training (2)
Astronomy 101 (5)
Geography 230 (5)
Intercultural Communications 227 (5)
Electronics Courses Total (21)

106 credits so far out of the 90 I need for my AA. I decided to not finish this year so that I could stay enrolled next year and get in more prerequisites for a future degree. I only have one Humanities class to take next year before I technically qualify for my AA. I'll also be continuing with such classes as Physics 201, Physics 211, Calculus 3, and Statistics.

I get bored, okay?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 01:34:45 pm »

Try to get into Harvard.  They might actually let you in.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 01:44:54 pm »

I took Composition and got a 5 in it.

That's it.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 01:52:00 pm »

Try to get into Harvard.  They might actually let you in.
I haven't actually heard anything from Harvard, but I hear a bunch of the Ivy League schools have programs for paying tuition for kids from low income families like myself. I'll probably apply there just to find out if I would be accepted, but right now I'm considering west coast schools like Berkeley, Stanford, or University of Washington. The east coast is very far from home, and I would know next to nobody when I got there. I have a friend that's in about the same place, though, so we might see if we both get in and end up going to the same school.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 01:53:39 pm »

Oh, don't go to fucking Stanford.  God.  That town has the worst atmosphere.

Ugh, listening about the college acceptance process is making me annoyed.  Good luck with your interviews and don't act weird.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 01:56:50 pm »

I didn't take any AP courses, despite being totally qualified and smarter than many of the academic overachievers I knew...

My sophomore year I was still at that terrible school where my social problems and hatred for the education system and establishment in general were hitting their climax, and there was no academic value to be found there anyway even if I hadn't had such problems.

My junior year was spent starting over at a new school and coping with the social dysfunction and hatred that the last place had loaded on me.

My senior year I was getting better and could have done more for myself... but I suddenly found myself caring for a close friend (as in literally living with me and my family) in the midst of an epic two-year long emotional breakdown, who hit my life like a freight train and took all of my time and energy.  All of it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 02:01:59 pm »

I didn't take any AP courses, despite being totally qualified and smarter than many of the academic overachievers I knew...

My sophomore year I was still at that terrible school where my social problems and hatred for the education system and establishment in general were hitting their climax, and there was no academic value to be found there anyway even if I hadn't had such problems.

My junior year was spent starting over at a new school and coping with the social dysfunction and hatred that the last place had loaded on me.

My senior year I was getting better and could have done more for myself... but I suddenly found myself caring for a close friend (as in literally living with me and my family) in the midst of an epic two-year long emotional breakdown, who hit my life like a freight train and took all of my time and energy.  All of it.

You know where it is at.  Well done.

(Non-sarcastically)

I'm scared I'm not going to be accepted into good universities for grad school because I spent two years being (very) emotionally abused by a couple of people, to the point where I apparently almost went insane.  It dropped me from the A and B range to B and C; and then, this past semester, I've been dismantling the hurtful misogynist stereotypes that had also been damaging me as a person.

But I don't think colleges care about that much.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 02:06:28 pm »

Yea i just took Chemistry and Pschology for the lulz, bomb the classes but got 5 on the exams O_o

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 02:09:22 pm »

But I don't think colleges care about that much.

Yeah.  I've discovered that as well.  Of course, it doesn't help when you can't even adequately explain the context of your life without betraying someone.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4