Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There's a hole in the ground, and the marksdwarves flail all around all around..  (Read 614 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

..and the green grass grows all around. Ah, songs from my childhood.

anyways!

So I made a room for my marksdwarves to train in. Armour rack/weapon rack, some beds for dream-training. I put up some archery targets at the end of the long hall... then channeled infront of it to conserve ammunition.

Once all of this was complete, I decided to designate the archery targets to get them training, so I could move on to bigger and better things. However.. the 'archery room' range thing indicator won't go over the channeled area. It just explands down the archery range line and that won't work. How do I fix this?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Rooms may only designate over floorspace, a channel is empty space.  Even if you could, they won't fire at a target they cannot walk to.  You can place channels on either side of the target, and a hatch in front of it set to a repeating lever.  Someone actually figured out the exact size and placement needed to make a catch-all-ammo range using a gobbo as bait and doors to block the bolt before it hit.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well the channel still had the ramps, I didn't clear those. I mean the targets were made *after* I channeled, so they could obviously walk there. And that's a shame.. oh well. I guess I'll just have to mass produce bone bolts to make up for the losses. Anyone got any tips on how to make a goblin decay faster?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Regen a world, and set ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE in entity_default.txt  I catch, butcher, and arm my soldiers with my fallen foes.  Elf Leather Backpacks holding Goblin Tallow Roast and Prepared Kobold Liver.

Also, leave them outside and try to separate the limbs from the body before-hand.  Very high drops and axes will do nicely.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The following is my general plan for an archery range:

Code: [Select]
#######     ######
#______     ____>#
#_X++++ ... ++++++
#______     ____>#
#######     ######

The "..." is enough space to get it up to the maximum range length, if I can fit it into the rest of the fortress's local plan.

In reality, I actually set up a set of them, with Wall / [Channel / RangeFloor / ...several times repeated] Channel / Wall, as a top to bottom cross-section based upon that example.

You lose arrows that hit the target (or, of course, a neighbouring target), but that is all.  All the rest hit a wall (end or sides) and fall down to the level below and are re-usable.  Once they're hitting their own target from maximum range and losing significant training ammunition that way, it's probably Ok to move them back to learning none-ranged military skills anyway...

On Z-1, in the channels, I de-ramp (and de-clutter), just for aesthetic purposes.  I might also have cleared out the walls under the range's floors in whole or in part (e.g., leaving in aesthetic pillars, if there's no stone-type, ores or gems I want in those particular tiles).

I'll set up training-bolt storage under there, either so the bolts drop straight into them (for training dwarfs to wander along to restock from, without worrying anyone else about the moving of too many items) or more or less under the firing-end stairwells so that other dwarfs with appropriate hauage enabled can shift them there and giving the training dwarfs a much shorter trip to restock.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't bother with archery ranges, they're not worth it.

Instead make a burrows that covers all of the caverns. Order them to defend that burrow. They will hunt down all of the wildlife in the caverns, which will:

1) Train your soldiers.
2) Provide large amounts of meat/leather/bones.
3) Sanitize the caverns.
4) Render caverns perfectly safe once all wildlife has been hunted to extinction.

Or just stick them on the battlements. They can learn to shoot on the job. Many marksdwarves can dish out fearsome amounts of damage. Individually they may be weak, but large numbers of them will slaughter anything. Including even a BC.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm fairly certain ranges don't ever work if there is a pit in the middle, even with ramps. I think they are rather useful myself, and only replaced by a collosus for consistent expert marksdwarf training.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

Also, leave them outside and try to separate the limbs from the body before-hand.  Very high drops and axes will do nicely.
If you break them to bits by chopping or dropping, you don't even need to change your ethics and regen. Your dwarfs will happily harvest and eat pieces dismembered off of bodies they would not butcher intact.
Soaplent green is goblins!