Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Chasm...?  (Read 665 times)

FurryYunSeong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Chasm...?
« on: May 06, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »

Early in my recent fort, I got a "You've found a deep pit."  message.  I searched the wiki and found that this is tied to the discovery of the bottomless chasm.  Then they say DF2010 doesn't have bottomless chasms. 

It is in fact very deep, but the whole lack of a chasm in DF2010 is based on the chasms not being bottomless, or simply not even displaying that message?
"An Ambush!  Curse th- HNNNNNGGG!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The Chasm...?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 01:55:48 pm »

Deep Pits in DF2010 usually lead from one cavern to another.  For instance, I had one in the second layer, which went straight down through the third layer, and into the magma sea.  I -believe- that the third layer was walled off around the pit, and that it had a sudden border of stone that kept the pit and third cavern separate.  This became utterly hilarious, when I had all the cavern layers blockaded, and then a stone dragonfly or some shit flew DOWN the pit, INTO the magma sea, THROUGH my forges as I was expanding my industry, and proceeded to rip new anuses into my collected legendary citizens.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »

Better to have forged and gotten killed by a stone dragonfly flying up through the forge lost, than never to have forged at all.
<sage nod>
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 02:22:49 pm »

I am a dwarf.  'Tis better to have my hand ripped off my a giant stone dragonfly and then slammed against my neck so hard my head was lopped off.  It's the way we'd all want to go...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 02:27:31 pm »

I am a dwarf.  'Tis better to have my hand ripped off my a giant stone dragonfly and then slammed against my neck so hard my head was lopped off.  It's the way we'd all want to go...
There was magma involved so I can live deal with that.

FurryYunSeong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:53 pm »

Currently this huge abyss has kept a forgotten beast wandering happily, and two others that rampaged all the way up and ravaged a few dwarves.

So, technically, the pit does and does not exist.  You can get the message, but it's not bottomless.

It's been a learning experience in wall/floor/ceiling usage...
"An Ambush!  Curse th- HNNNNNGGG!"