Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First .. Giant .. a let down :(  (Read 972 times)

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First .. Giant .. a let down :(
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:08:21 pm »

I was really hoping to test my weapon traps after I got this message about this great and terrible Giant!

So, I was letting him walk right up to my door. Also, I had channeled out in front of my inner gate, so that any (non-flying) building destroyers wouldn't smash it.

And .. this happened.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and .. this

and .. this

and .. this

.. What a let down! The masses of War Dogs are easily destroying him.. >,<

Anyone else saddened by this? :(

EDIT: Added Spoiler tags for readability. Also, is that the best way to handle extremely large images? :P Thanks!
EDIT2: Fixed spoiler tags.. >,<
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:10:31 pm by The1nk »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: First .. Giant .. a let down :(
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:53:18 pm »

War dogs are wrestlers.  They attack weakly, but in groups they overwhelm and subdue the opponent, and slowly gnaw at them.  A dozen war dogs following a single axedwarf can do a LOT of damage against 1-2 enemies.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:14:31 pm »

War dogs are wrestlers.  They attack weakly, but in groups they overwhelm and subdue the opponent, and slowly gnaw at them.  A dozen war dogs following a single axedwarf can do a LOT of damage against 1-2 enemies.
To summarize,

ZERG RUSH!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:48:58 pm »

Yup. In DF, numbers mean a lot; just because your single axedwarf is legendary in every fighting skill doesn't mean he'll have it easy against, say, five ogres. They'll have a hell of a time hitting him, but the dwarf will be stuck on the defense.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:37:22 pm »

Large creatures in general are pretty disappointing in DF unless they have some extra weapon like freezing extract that kills a creature if it gets covered in it. You'd think giant beasts with great strength and girth would have some kind of advantage over even a large group of lesser creatures, but you would be wrong in DF.

Although, come to think of it, it's not really a let down if you've got War Bunnies.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »

Large creatures in general are pretty disappointing in DF unless they have some extra weapon like freezing extract that kills a creature if it gets covered in it. You'd think giant beasts with great strength and girth would have some kind of advantage over even a large group of lesser creatures, but you would be wrong in DF.

Although, come to think of it, it's not really a let down if you've got War Bunnies.
NEE.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:25:03 pm »

The three determining factors in DF combat are size, numbers, and speed. With more speed, you can get more hits in. With more numbers, you can get more hits in, but from different creatures. With size, you can block charges, which are really annoying when they knock you down = decreasing your speed = you die.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 11:27:23 pm »

The three determining factors in DF combat are size, numbers, and speed. With more speed, you can get more hits in. With more numbers, you can get more hits in, but from different creatures. With size, you can block charges, which are really annoying when they knock you down = decreasing your speed = you die.
Dwarves add a special fourth variable.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 11:33:15 pm »

I thought you were going to say martial trances (luck)
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 11:36:03 pm »

Which kills them, too.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 02:42:37 am »

Yeah, giants are incredibly nonthreatening, especially that they arrive well after the goblin ambushes when you have a military or an impressive array of traps.

Open up hell. See if it is a let down.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:28:48 am »

On the subject of zerg rushes, I've seen rabbits kill a dragon in arena mode. They simply overwhelmed it in a tide of fluffiness until it couldn't move any more and gave up. Enough small creatures can overpower and kill a single creature of ANY size if it can get tired/over-exerted.

re giants, if you have some strong soldiers get one of them to engage it in single combat. That makes it more interesting! And honorable. :) I've got two soldiers now with solo semimegabeast kills to their name and a third caged giant I'm not sure what to do with.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 03:52:08 am »

Thus, a Bronze Colossus, which has [NO_EXERT] should be able to kill- Nevermind...