Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold Quest tips  (Read 1346 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Kobold Quest tips
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:01:39 pm »

I'll start.

1. Don't try to defend the whole cave. You will lose.
2. Use pits as a backup/secondary defense. They are rarely in places where you need them, and unless you're lucky and clever they will probably not be walked on.
3. Fill pits wih at least one creature, but more than three or four is probably not worth the effort.
4. Send someone out to collect cave critters evey now and then.
5. Kobolds, from untrained to warlords, WILL die when adjacent to adventurers unless the adventurer is killed or the kobold runs. Try running towards a pit or an armed comrade.
6. ALWAYS arm ALL of your kobolds.
7. Don't get so distracted with what one kobold is doing that several others get killed. All the bugs in the cave won't save your little furry guys from distraction.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Quest tips
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:51 pm »

Wrong subforum, bro.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:50:50 pm »

Actually, this is the correct forum.  Note this forum is not called "LCS", but rather "Curses".

Kobold Quest is in fact Toady's other major Curses system game.

WWI Medic and Star Zoo would also be appropriate to discuss here.

Happy Posting!

EDIT: Actually, WWI Medic does not use the Curses Library, as far as I can tell.  So technically, it should be discussed in the "Other Games" section of the forum.  But Kobold Quest can be discussed in either forum.  Here is an old discussion thread in the other section, but I'd advise against necroing that thread.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:47:22 pm »

Allow me to take a third view!

Technically speaking, Kobold Quest uses OpenGL to simulate ASCII graphics rather than using Curses. As I understand, it was originally created in order to have an open source game that uses a similar engine to Dwarf Fortress, in order to allow the community to supplement Toady's knowledge of cross-platform development, and make it possible to port Dwarf Fortress to Mac.

With that being said, this difference and history is pedantic. "Here we discuss our ASCII games."

Kobold Quest is an ASCII game.

Here we discuss it.