Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well caravan, that wasn't expected...  (Read 1953 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Well caravan, that wasn't expected...
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »

I got to my first caravan of this fort. They come jolly, and I load all my goods. Look what they have for me today, and there isn't any cloth!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:I

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Well caravan, that wasn't expected...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:42:17 pm »

Food and wood are special.  No matter what you've requested, if you have a lot stock of food or logs, you will get food and logs.  Building a fort out of wood and having no stray logs, means you have no logs and will get some with the next caravan.  Cloth as well, you can prevent the elves from bringing you cloth by keeping a lot of it sitting around.

You seemed to be lacking food, so the mountainhomes helped you out.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »

Food and wood are special.  No matter what you've requested, if you have a lot stock of food or logs, you will get food and logs.  Building a fort out of wood and having no stray logs, means you have no logs and will get some with the next caravan.  Cloth as well, you can prevent the elves from bringing you cloth by keeping a lot of it sitting around.

You seemed to be lacking food, so the mountainhomes helped you out.
I have thousands of plump helmets, and hundreds of logs. I don't have any cloth at all.

...What the fuck just happened?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 04:53:34 pm »

You probably mass ordered meat and maybe wood and booze from a caravan. Food actually does weigh something, and there are so many types of food that when you mass order food at max priority, you get four of each default quantity of each food and booze you ordered. So that's a lot of food. With the caravan maxed out in terms of weight, they won't bring much else. But face it, you won't have to worry about food (and maybe drink) for a while.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:56:10 pm »

You probably mass ordered meat and maybe wood and booze from a caravan. Food actually does weigh something, and there are so many types of food that when you mass order food at max priority, you get four of each default quantity of each food and booze you ordered. So that's a lot of food. With the caravan maxed out in terms of weight, they won't bring much else. But face it, you won't have to worry about food (and maybe drink) for a while.
This is the first fall. I didn't order anything  :'(

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:36:16 pm »

This is the first fall. I didn't order anything  :'(

The mountainhomes had a good harvest combined with a massive industrial megaproject accident, resulting in hundreds fewer dwarves, and an excess of food, so they are shipping it out to all of the outposts.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:48:30 pm »

Y-You're not, playing in the same world as me, are you...?  Armok help you if I'm your mountainhome...

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »

What the fuck? ^ above ^ is weird. He's so weird for being so weird that he thinks he's a mountain.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »

What the fuck? ^ above ^ is weird. He's so weird for being so weird that he thinks he's a mountain.
Um ... Girlinhat ...
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:04:59 pm »

Other areas I would have corrected him.  It surprises me how often people fail to recognize the gender listed in my name.  But here, I would let the issue slide.  We are all dwarves here, we all sport the same beard.  (Except some beards are longer than others... just sayin'.)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:07 pm »

Y-You're not, playing in the same world as me, are you...?  Armok help you if I'm your mountainhome...
Oh shit. Well, time for more magma.

On a lighter note, you have an epic avatar.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:03:30 pm »

Other areas I would have corrected him.  It surprises me how often people fail to recognize the gender listed in my name.  But here, I would let the issue slide.  We are all dwarves here, we all sport the same beard.  (Except some beards are longer than others... just sayin'.)
Count me in that. I thought girlin was one word.

In any case, it's weird how caravans don't count processed food(biscuits&roasts) as part of the current food in the fort.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:01:15 pm »

In any case, it's weird how caravans don't count processed food(biscuits&roasts) as part of the current food in the fort.
I have thousands of plump helmets.

WHY THE HELL DID THEY BRING FOOD?  :'(

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:47 pm »

I have thousands of plump helmets.

WHY THE HELL DID THEY BRING FOOD?  :'(
I think they count meat and plants as different stuff as well.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:43:16 am »

This is sort of evading the issue, but why do you want cloth so early anyways?
I haven't had to make new clothes...ever, so far. Actually I find that the only things I ever want are weapons, armor and metal.
Pages: [1] 2