Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Nobles  (Read 2120 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 04:27:11 am »

I use 5x5 bedrooms
5x5 is excessive, really. My dwarves live on 4 tiles (1 bed, 1-2 cabinets, engraved walls), and they like it.

Anyway, perhaps you should give your duchess a 10x10 room in your special case.

The main issue is indeed that you are still stuck in the motherly "I want my dwarves to be happy and well" stage. While that is fine, really, I am sure that it will pass in a while. ;)
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 05:02:45 am »

You get over that when you run a suicide fort.  Make a fort for shits and giggles, using few walls, fewer traps, and a lot more melee soldiers.  Only use copper.  You'll start drafting your favorite mason and dropping a -kitten leather helmet- on your farmer as you try and hold out until the next migrant wave.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2011, 05:19:00 am »

I got over it when I was using an extremely dangerous technique for extending an obsidian tower from the ocean's surface downwards to the bottom of the sea. It involved magma, channeling, and two dwarves: One for the lever, one with a pick. Sometimes, the dwarf with the pick got too friendly with the magma. Sometimes, the dwarf with the pick fell into the 14 z-level deep sea. In any case, I stopped savescumming after each death, after a while, and only savescummed if the ocean's pressure would flood my construction.

I haven't been back to the motherly "every dwarf shall be happy" stage since then.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2011, 06:48:39 am »

I use 5x5 bedrooms
5x5 is excessive, really. My dwarves live on 4 tiles (1 bed, 1-2 cabinets, engraved walls), and they like it.
If we're going to out-hardass; in almost all my forts my common Dwarfs have 3x3 rooms with only a bed and a door. And I only add cabinets if they have clothes on the floor. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2011, 07:48:40 am »

Assign her her own personal war dog!  She may enjoy the pet enough to be content.  And if not, well... war dog.
??? Never thought of that one!

Usually my nobles' rooms come furnished with a table, chair, bed, cabinet, chest, armour stand, weapon rack and a floor hatch.  I prefer to use water though as it leaves less mess.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 09:37:16 am »

I thought any berserk Dwarf wouldn't have much trouble with a single war dog. So, assign a dozen! :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 11:01:42 am »

Well, I usually give a lot of my citizens war dogs (or War Giant Leopards, if available), so a berzerk dwarf will have to deal with a rather impressive force when it breaks into the dining hall.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 11:47:04 am »

Smart. I think I'll dismantle my danger room (because it's kind of ridiculous) and assign more folk war dogs as well. And I have a few black bears tromping about.  :-\

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »

I use 5x5 bedrooms
If we're going to out-hardass; in almost all my forts my common Dwarfs have 3x3 rooms with only a bed and a door. And I only add cabinets if they have clothes on the floor. :P
I'm going to out-hardass you. No dwarves get rooms unless they need them; I have a communal dorm instead.

As for nobles? They are damn annoying. Magma-proof furniture and a *floodgate* for them.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 01:18:05 pm »

I've yet to determine if nether-cap is magma safe, and thus appropriate noble bedding.  It's unique among trees in that it has a fixed temperature somewhere below common cave ambiance, and since the temperature is fixed it's theoretically magma-proof, but I've not seen anyone actually attempt this.  There have been reports of nether-cap pumps that have sustained magma flow, but then again there's reports of using an iron corkscrew and pipe, and a copper block, and having a pump that survived for a while before suddenly being destroyed.

Either way, I'm starting to go in favor of public dorms.  Much easier than individual rooms, and with a good dining room they won't care much for their lack of proper bedding.  Or else they won't live long enough to care.  It's just those damned nobles...  They get a hole in the wall.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 01:25:03 pm »

I've yet to determine if nether-cap is magma safe, and thus appropriate noble bedding.  It's unique among trees in that it has a fixed temperature somewhere below common cave ambiance, and since the temperature is fixed it's theoretically magma-proof, but I've not seen anyone actually attempt this.  There have been reports of nether-cap pumps that have sustained magma flow, but then again there's reports of using an iron corkscrew and pipe, and a copper block, and having a pump that survived for a while before suddenly being destroyed.

Either way, I'm starting to go in favor of public dorms.  Much easier than individual rooms, and with a good dining room they won't care much for their lack of proper bedding.  Or else they won't live long enough to care.  It's just those damned nobles...  They get a hole in the wall.
They are fixed at 0 degrees Celsius. I'm wondering if it could freeze a river so we can dam it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 01:32:32 pm »

We know that this at least, is impossible.  Any construction is rendered inert, and has no influence on temperature.  You cannot freeze booze by putting it into nether-cap barrels, because objects only really receive temperature, they don't enforce it.  Fire, magma, location, and weather seem to be the only things that will change a temperature, with weather changing by biome and time of year.  Note this does mean, you could design a poisonous substance which is tailored to your biome, remaining liquid the entire year, but turning into a fine poisonous mist during spring when the elves arrive...  Or channel magma under a floor to warm the area atop the floor.
Pages: 1 2 [3]