Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!  (Read 2002 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 04:29:55 am »

Oh right, I noticed something different. In older versions I had a bunch of autosaves at all times. How do I turn that back on? :P I'd hate to lose my fort due to some crash.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 04:31:56 am »

DF\Data\init\init.txt (or maybe it's d_init.txt, either way...) change the autosave to SEASONAL or whatever floats your boat.  As if boats float.  Dwarves only make boats out of stone, and those most certainly do not float.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 04:32:38 am »

Prevention is the best cure. Smooth and engrave meeting halls/dining rooms. Display artifacts in busy traffic areas. If its an option mist generators are also great.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 04:40:17 am »

DF\Data\init\init.txt (or maybe it's d_init.txt, either way...) change the autosave to SEASONAL or whatever floats your boat.  As if boats float.  Dwarves only make boats out of stone, and those most certainly do not float.

Thanks.

Also, I do think stone boats can work. :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 04:41:59 am »

Also (and this can be quite critical) keep a very close eye on your miners, woodcutters and probably hunters too. And especially your military. If anyone looks like they're getting unhappy, remove them from duty, because you do NOT want a berserk dwarf running around with a +steel axe+ or anything like that.

In my fort's early days we had a large tantrum spiral due to dead babies and then a cave-in which killed nearly all the miners. The population went from 72 to 8. And most of those kills were down to two berserk woodcutters with copper axes, who are still getting engraved in about every available surface on my fortress...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 04:43:16 am »

If you suddenly find yourself in a middle of tantrum spiral, the best you can do is to separate happiest and friendless dwarves at shelters - with a load of food and booze, lock them there and wait for the inevitable.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 04:46:09 am »

Fan-fucking-tastic. I can't reclaim because everyone gets slaughtered by cavern beasts after entering the fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 04:48:05 am »

Start elsewhere? I hardly ever try to reclaim. I did that once, but that was too depressing. I expect more or less to only find the area as it was before I fucked up. Instead I saw all my failures but my victims were missing which just made me feel bad. :(

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »

Start elsewhere? I hardly ever try to reclaim. I did that once, but that was too depressing. I expect more or less to only find the area as it was before I fucked up. Instead I saw all my failures but my victims were missing which just made me feel bad. :(

You sir are the first person I have seen here on these forums to show any kind of compassion towards your dwarves... EVAR

But for future spirals: Separate happy dwarves in happy shelter, bury the dead, build lot's of statues, engrave lot's of walls, make more happiness inducing things... The usual

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 02:50:42 pm »

Yeah, richly appointed stasis chambers are the best bet, for extra security you can rig up an obsidian caster next to the door to prevent a berserker or buildingn destroyer from getting in. Just make sure the refugees have a pick.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »

Thanks.

Also, I do think stone boats can work. :o
Dwarves like metal. Humans can make metal boats, so we can make better ones!

THAT ARE MAGMA POWERED!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 03:46:50 pm »

Stone boats can work.  In theory.  But these are dwarves.  They won't work.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »

Why abandon with 50 crazed dwarves?  They can very much be recuperated and the sruvivors, few though there might be, will be hardened and unfazed by further tragedy.  Tantrum spirals are usually where the real protagonists of my forts appear--e.g. the chief medical dwarf with lots of blood on her hands, the last surviving miner/mason/craftdwarf, who only made it because he was dumb enough to accidentally wall himself in on the battlement seconds before everyone else topside died to a tantruming militia.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »

Why abandon with 50 crazed dwarves?  They can very much be recuperated and the sruvivors, few though there might be, will be hardened and unfazed by further tragedy.  Tantrum spirals are usually where the real protagonists of my forts appear--e.g. the chief medical dwarf with lots of blood on her hands, the last surviving miner/mason/craftdwarf, who only made it because he was dumb enough to accidentally wall himself in on the battlement seconds before everyone else topside died to a tantruming militia.
Oh my god, I know why dwarves wall themselves in.

It's a survival mechanism!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 11:51:19 pm »

Stone boats can work.  In theory.  But these are dwarves.  They won't work.
Oh. I know what to make when I find next underground sea.
Dwarven Stone Submarine! It has to be made out of natural rock, so it won't be destroyed after launching, that's why I need underground sea. Or above ground, but cast it out of obsidian.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.
Pages: 1 [2] 3