Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!  (Read 2003 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!
« on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:43 am »

After several dwarfs were mauled to death by a crocodile and my miner went berserk, my fort has entered a tantrum spiral!

How do I stop this before more dwarfs die?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: TANTRUM SPIRAL INBOOOUUUUND!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:16:42 am »

Popcorn.  Oh wait, stop it?  Segregate the angry from the others, stop work and let everyone idle together in the royal dining hall, rig up a mist generator very quickly if you have a river nearby, let everyone kill a goblin prisoner, allow pet adoptions or assign war dogs (which will help take down anyone who berzerks as well)...  There's not much you can do -during- a tantrum spiral, but before-hand it really helps if you build a secondary meeting area, with a water reservoir above it.  During trouble, get everyone there, and unplug the reservoir.  Let the mist sooth them and the water safely wash out under the area and into a river or off the map.  Refill reservoir at leisure, but enjoy the happiness spike.  Remember you can't dig the squares on the edge of the map, but you can smooth and make the fortifications, making them valid drainage for waterworks.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:19:09 am »

Everybodies angry, I only have cavern water (I refuse to do any waterworks with cavern water because of how dangerous it is) and I cannot create anything as the dwarfs just keep on spazing the fuck out.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:22:46 am »

Don't forget to bury the corpses. It makes them extra unhappy if the dead friends start rotting.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 03:23:11 am »

This is how tantrums take you out, yes...  Best bet is to cancel all existing work orders and let everyone idle in the dining hall, probably.  They'll socialize, which gives them happy thoughts.  May still be too late, you can't always stop a tantrum spiral.  That's what DF is though.  Losing is Fun.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 03:32:29 am »

This is how tantrums take you out, yes...  Best bet is to cancel all existing work orders and let everyone idle in the dining hall, probably.  They'll socialize, which gives them happy thoughts.  May still be too late, you can't always stop a tantrum spiral.  That's what DF is though.  Losing is Fun.
Free the dining hall. You can try making a 1x1 meeting area (dwarves don't punch each other just because they're crowded, right?) and putting some high quality statues around it as well as an animal cage (put one of each critter in it), along with other artifact furniture you might have around. Hopefully the angry ones will make/talk with friends, get comforted by creatures in the cage and notice the completely sublime tastefully arranged stuff around them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:36:04 am by Syrup Roast »
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:44:33 am »

Too late. The fortress fell because of Urist McSerialkillers.

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:52:11 am »

LOL, I just made a post expalining my fort and my fort fell in the exact same way read it if you want:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83961.0
"From the Dark Abyss, I come. From the Very Pits of Hell, I come. The Lord of Chaos, the Dark Demon only seen in nightmares shall rise"

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 03:54:44 am »

I did before you posted. It's good to see that someone else had died from a tantrum spiral recently.

The berserk dwarfs are probably the most dangerous things.

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 04:04:01 am »

Ah yes, It was annoying to lose it all but I am happy with what I have achieved :), Time to start again :P
"From the Dark Abyss, I come. From the Very Pits of Hell, I come. The Lord of Chaos, the Dark Demon only seen in nightmares shall rise"

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 04:11:14 am »

How much dwarfs did you have before the spiral?

I had about 60. It was a shame that the fort died because that was the highest amount of dwarfs I had ever had.

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 04:13:15 am »

I shall edit my post to let everyone know, but to be exact I had 89 dwarves when the spiral started and when I abandoned (after a short amount of time) around 50 lol :)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 04:16:46 am »

Avenge your fallen fortress by destroying everything vaguely Crocodile-shaped in your future endeavours!
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 04:22:58 am »

Avenge your fallen fortress by destroying everything vaguely Crocodile-shaped in your future endeavours!
Yeah!

Hey there, humans that remind me of CROCODILES!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 04:27:31 am »

What I do against tantrum spirals : Seasonal autosave, and savescum.

Yeah!

Hey there, humans that remind me of CROCODILES!

D'you want cave crocodile men ?

Pages: [1] 2 3