Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject: The Eyrie Updated 5/9/11  (Read 1478 times)

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Megaproject: The Eyrie Updated 5/9/11
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:19:07 am »

Edit: Current update screenshot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've been wanting to build a megaproject based off the Eyrie since I completed Winterfell. I found a pretty awesome embark for it (which was really hard to do since I needed a really tall mountain right by really flat plains). I plan to do the gates of the moon, all of the way castles, and the Eyrie. Here is what I am starting with;

Here is an artists rendition of the Eyrie;
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:21:34 pm by Halnoth »
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: The Eyrie
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:36:45 am »

Save a copy of the world, and then start carving away at the mountains until you get singular pillars.  I'm sure you already thought of this, but saving the world first would certainly help.

Also, I've discovered that using DFHack, you can name any material as OBSIDIAN (which won't change its in-game name) and DFHack will let you place it as if it were obsidian.  You can also remove the [LAVA] token from obsidian and place it on anything else, to make it appear at the mixture of water and magma.  Using either of these methods, you could turn those sheer cliff walls a nice solid brown instead of the mottled blue/yellow/pink/brown/gray that it will actually be.  It's a little hax, but if you're going for color...

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 02:51:29 am »

Reminds me a lot of Neuschwanstein Castle, perched on a cliff.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:10:57 am »

Save a copy of the world, and then start carving away at the mountains until you get singular pillars.  I'm sure you already thought of this, but saving the world first would certainly help.

Also, I've discovered that using DFHack, you can name any material as OBSIDIAN (which won't change its in-game name) and DFHack will let you place it as if it were obsidian.  You can also remove the [LAVA] token from obsidian and place it on anything else, to make it appear at the mixture of water and magma.  Using either of these methods, you could turn those sheer cliff walls a nice solid brown instead of the mottled blue/yellow/pink/brown/gray that it will actually be.  It's a little hax, but if you're going for color...

Ya I have already modified the obsidian for this world to be soil so I can place soil anywhere I like. There will be extensive terraforming for this project as I need to create the path up to the eyri as well as the cliff face. I was pretty happy with this embark actually since it doesn't require too much terraforming of the surrounding area (the mountains etc).
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject: The Eyrie Updated 5/9/11
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 10:19:46 pm »

Got the path up the mountain and all the terraforming done. Foundations laid for the gates of the moon, stone, and snow. The Eyrie will be at the very top. Nevermind that purple thing (its the gaurds hall), its supposed to be blue but overseer shows nethercap as purple for some reason and I can't edit overseers color files. It will look better when I start posting stonesense screenshots.