Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Starting Dwarf Skills  (Read 6537 times)

ProtDock

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Dave! yognaut.
    • View Profile
Starting Dwarf Skills
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:02 pm »

Hi i've been playing dwarf fortress for a while now, and starting to get a hang of it, BUT i find myself playing a world for a bit, then trying a new starting dwarf skill set. soo if anyone could give me any ideas on any skill sets, for example a set of dwarfs that i could leave running in the background and they can still keep themselves fed etc. thanks alot :)

ProtDock
Dun Test Tha Souff Wess

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Dwarf Skills
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »

For real background dwarves?  Hunting is pretty fair, depending on your location.  Groundhogs are easy prey; Skeletal Giant Eagles, less so.  Farming is pretty awesome as well.

I generally embark with a miner, a woodcutter+carpenter, a metalsmith+metalcrafter (if I have any dwarves who like platinum), an armorsmith+weaponsmith (if anyone likes steel or bronze or especially special blue stuff), a herbalist+planter, a mason+engraver (especially if they like obsidian), and then usually a soldier and doctor or something like that.  I mainly tailor those based on their likes, because if a dwarf likes platinum, he'll make higher quality platinum statues and goblets, which makes more valuable dining rooms and trade goods.  Same with masterwork quality steel armor.  Obsidian I will always have a lot of, due to casting.

The herbalist+farmer is very important though.  A level 5 herbalist will get a good number of plants from every bush, so I often don't embark with any food, and just harvest some on the spot, and then plant some strawberries.  They grow year-round and have a good value.  My embark points get spent on iron ore and flux, or tin, copper, and bismuth ore, which gets turned into equipment for soldiers.  My first migrants become my manager/broker/stockkeepper and the rest become soldiers.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 08:57:08 pm »

No haulers?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:59:11 pm »

Everyone hauls.  I usually don't have that much to haul initially, and by the time I do have stuff worth hauling, my off-duty soldiers do a lot of it.  It's not the most streamlined embark, but it does very well for an embark.  It's what you do in year 2 that seems to make the biggest difference.  Failure to farm or build a wall by year 2 is pretty much always lethal.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »

I used to make sure I had a wide selection of skills on my starting dwarves, and obsessed about trying to use all 10 skill points each dwarf has available.

Then I got lazy one time, and embarked with two lv 5 Miners and the rest totally untrained. I noticed almost no difference in the process of establishing my fortress.

Now, I start with one 5 Axedwarf 5 Armor User dwarf, two 5 Miner dwarfs, and that's it. The rest of them do whatever is necessary well enough to get by until I get some migrants, and it's inevitable that either the starters will get enough skill to be worthwhile by the time I need it, or a migrant will show up with the skill I want.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:39:08 pm »

Everyone hauls.  I usually don't have that much to haul initially, and by the time I do have stuff worth hauling, my off-duty soldiers do a lot of it.  It's not the most streamlined embark, but it does very well for an embark.  It's what you do in year 2 that seems to make the biggest difference.  Failure to farm or build a wall by year 2 is pretty much always lethal.

Oh yes, wall! I found out that the FUN way. After grazing entered I find it a bit harder to define my first inner wall layout, but indeed, get that impenetrable enclosure thrown up by summer 2 latest, and line the door with traps.

Also, I found out about the farmer-herbalist thing fairly quick. Self-sustaining food production is pretty important, enough to warrant some skill point invested.

Ill try your embark advice next time, didn't really care for the "likes..." description before tbh.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:40:41 pm by Immacolata »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:00 pm »

Likes only give a small boost, especially to room value.  If your baron likes steel, you can put in one steel statue and they'll perceive it as 1.5x more expensive, or something.  The exact numbers are unknown.  If they're working with something they like, there's a higher chance of higher quality.  My level 5 metalsmith can produce a set of 2 masterwork and 1 exceptional mugs within the first year, which is more than enough to buy out the first and second dwarven caravans and buy out much of the elven seeds and exotic animals.  I've been attempting to breed giant badgers, with the hopes that they can push back sieges for me.  Buy more platinum from the caravans, and you can go like this very very easily.

Bonus points if you invest in a jewel setter who likes diamonds.  You can very easily produce hundreds of thousands of dwarfbucks a year by buying one bar (or ore) of platinum and a full list of jewels, and spend the year forging goblets and then encrusting them.  If you're using a display case mod, all the better!

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 12:12:21 am »

I like to always make sure that I have a future army commander with 5 points in some weapon skill, and 5 points in Organizer, so that his training sessions don't take forever to happen.

I am also fond of having at least one of the dorfs (usually my mason) have 5 ranks in architechture.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:47 am »

Bonus points if you invest in a jewel setter who likes diamonds.  You can very easily produce hundreds of thousands of dwarfbucks a year by buying one bar (or ore) of platinum and a full list of jewels, and spend the year forging goblets and then encrusting them.  If you're using a display case mod, all the better!
Does item preference affect how often crafters make masterworks using said items?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 12:22:37 am »

Yes, in a similar fashion.  Anyone who like addy must be trained into a smith!  If they like steel and shields, train them too!  I once got a mason who liked obsidian and statues.  My casting room couldn't cast obsidian fast enough to supply his overwhelming statue-lust!

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:54 am »

I'm just gonna post what I use. It gets the job done.

Miner
Miner
Carpenter+Mason
Grower+Brewer
Mechanic
Herbalist/Axe/Nothing (is also an unskilled wood cutter)

5 skills in each

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 01:23:00 am »

Don't put mining too high. Mining is one of the easiest skills to train. Bring a novice stonecrafter/skilled or + bone carver. Bone stuff is good enough to sell to the 1st caravan, and stonecrafting goes up pretty fast when you spam pots.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:30:26 am »

I generally get 2 miners, a carpenter, a mason, a farmer, a brewer and a bookkeeper/manager/leader-of-all.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 01:31:58 am »

I use:

three miners at lvl5
two woodcutters at lvl2
two masons at lvl3 or 4
manager (organizer, consoler, pacifier) 1 each for 3 total
broker/CMD (JOI-appraiser-diagnostician) 1 each for 3 total, generally make this dorf bookkeeper too
grower at lvl5
brewer at lvl3 or 4
carpenter at lvl3 or 4
mechanic at lvl3 or 4
cook at lvl3 or 4
bonecarver at lvl3 or 4
thresher at lvl3 or 4

that's about 55 pts, so the last 15 depending on dwarvenly talents:
2nd carpenter?
2nd brewer?
2nd mechanic?
2nd cook?
furnace operator?
stone crafter?

yes, my lack of forgeworkers or military dwarves can present a problem. but you can survive the first year on traps alone, and after the big wave of the second spring I generally have enough dwarves to do whatever needs doing.

Don't put mining too high. Mining is one of the easiest skills to train. Bring a novice stonecrafter/skilled or + bone carver. Bone stuff is good enough to sell to the 1st caravan, and stonecrafting goes up pretty fast when you spam pots.
I disagree, the higher your miner's skill, the more likely a stone will drop when the miner digs, and you want as many as possible when you hit that hematite vein...
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32:39 am »

I think about what skills are involved in a particular industry, and try to have the skills required for a few industries that cover basic needs (food and booze), defence (weapons, armour, traps) and trade goods. For example you can produce quarry bush roasts as a trade good and main source of food, which requires a grower, thresher and cook, add a brewer for obligatory booze, and a armorsmith, weaponsmith and mechanic. You'll also usually want a miner too. That's already more than seven jobs, so you usually need to double up on skills on most dwarves, and you might want some other useful skills. I pair up skills that are used a lot with skills that are used occasionally. You might not be be using weaponsmithing, armorsmithing or mechanics all that often, so you could have say,

Miner/Stonecrafter
Cook/Weaponsmith
Brewer/Armoursmith
Grower/Mechanic
Thresher/Metalsmith
---then maybe a pair of soldiers to get the military started.

Pages: [1] 2