Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few newbie questions about the GMS/Caverns/fun monsters  (Read 1768 times)

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few newbie questions about the GMS/Caverns/fun monsters
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:02:10 am »

I haven't built a whole lot of roads in my time, but in my experience, roads made from freshly-mined rocks will appear "furrowed", while roads made from rock blocks will appear identical to smoothed cavern floor. The color of the road could very well be based on the majority stone type, but I haven't tried it myself. Interestingly, objects placed on a road will blink, likely because of the road's status as a sorta-constructed object. I find this slightly annoying, and since I really don't care about conserving stone, my non-value-centric roads will be made from constructed floors.

There are a few ways to move magma, but a pumpstack is by far the simplest. Lag is only really a problem if you have the thing running constantly; as mentioned, there is an improved design that minimizes temperature recalculation, and thus lag. I've never had a pumpstack be small enough to be powered by windmills (I play on deep maps), so I always use water reactors, which is another topic entirely...

Magma is the traditional way of dealing with your troubles. However, it can be a bit hazardous if not carefully planned. Rather than simply walling off the caverns, I'd recommend a combination of cage and weapon traps along a narrow hallway leading to your fortress. This lets you harvest whatever critters wander where they shouldn't, and a strategically placed drawbridge will prevent anything nastier from getting through.

Read the wiki, if you haven't/aren't doing so right now. It's really quite awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 12:10:15 am »

I find windmills very fun myself.  Even with my average depth of 80, that would need 60 windmills, as each windmill produces 20 power (never seen one with 40) but it takes 7 for the gear assembly and 2 for the axle that will link it to the next windmill.  That's 14 power per windmill, and with a depth of 80, that's 800 power needed, for 57 windmills for full power.  60 to account for some additional power loss in axles.  Stacking them 3 deep, you can get 2x10x3 windmills (2 rows, each 10 long, with 3 atop each other) which is a fairly small footprint, especially since I do above-ground forts and it doesn't look like a random windmill farm in the middle of nowhere.  Since I've realized I never properly abuse the underground, I've started shallower worlds.  I wish there were more uses for power :P

Vandersleld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 12:20:39 am »

Well jeez.

Pump-waterwheel combo produces about 70 power. 80-level 6-wide stack uses 4800 power. Add 200 for axles and whatnot. That's about 70 waterwheels, which will fit across a sub-map tile if you double them up.

Too bad it didn't work. T_T Even without the pumpstack, the generator killed the framerate. It would have helped to add some control hatches BEFORE I tried to fill it...

Remember, kids! Responsible power system use saves fortresses!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:37 am »

Windmills don't use flowing water :3

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:36 am »

They do, however, use wind, which you have a chance of not having.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 01:29:02 am »

Point, but, the presence or absence of wind doesn't change your lag.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 01:52:57 am »

Even without the pumpstack, the generator killed the framerate. It would have helped to add some control hatches BEFORE I tried to fill it...
Silverfires? :P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: 1 [2]