Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tables should not despawn  (Read 1551 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Tables should not despawn
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:47:22 pm »

In the continuing effort to make recruiting less tedious to get closer to what you want....I propose tables no longer despawn after you visit them. They simply always have a higher chance of having people present, and of having more people present, every time you visit.

It makes sense to me since people come, people go, but the tables stay and get new occupants. Plus, not having to spend 20+ minutes at a time trying to recruit something other than hippies and dropouts, more reliably, would be a big help.

Further things you could do is reduce the chance people will occupy a table to 0% once a hostile action is taken at a site.

Also maybe add benches to parks to serve the same function, only they always spawn in the same places.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Tables should not despawn
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 11:43:57 am »

Good idea!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 02:55:57 am »

On a related note, tables (if present where combat occurs) should reduce to-hit for ranged weapons because they allow covering behind them. Not much, as the tables don't block bullets, just the line of sight.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 03:18:23 am »

On a related note, tables (if present where combat occurs) should reduce to-hit for ranged weapons because they allow covering behind them. Not much, as the tables don't block bullets, just the line of sight.

This would have to be communicated to the player somehow.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:35:55 am »

Some special message whenever the table "blocks" the attack?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:44:38 am »

Some special message whenever the table "blocks" the attack?

Something like that would work. "Brunelli hits the table instead of the target."

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 04:54:21 am »

^ But then we'd hit the wall of realism - most handguns are powerful enough to shoot through standard tables!

Vonnegut hits the adamantium table instead of the target.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 01:42:37 pm »

I was trying to be clever by avoiding any claim that the table blocks the hit, just saying that you hit the table and not the target. Not clever enough, it seems. :)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 09:31:35 pm »

Or the table could absorb one attack and then despawn, leaving only the occupants. Like "Brunelli hits the table instead of his target. The table collapses/explodes/falls over!"
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 10:38:03 pm »

make it clear that thay moved around, i.e."Brunelli dives under the table! X miss him!"
does any one think that have some items listed as cover and read out for dodges, so it feels more like every one is moveing a round in fights.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:54:20 am »

The dodge skill really should have a more visible effect in combat, rather than feeding you generic miss effects. "Bob dives for cover!" "Susan dodges like Neo from The Matrix!" "Steve ducks at the last moment!"

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:35:23 am »

As a tiny Easter egg, extremely good martial arts could give a minuscule chance of...

Vonnegut catches the bullet in midair!

Or with swords...

Vonnegut slashes the offending projectile in half!

EDIT: Back to the point. Making tables not despawn is just a matter of commenting a few lines as far as I can see. Based on quick testing, it seems to work just fine;

* Tables will not despawn - they'll have people around them when it's safe and under them when there's an alarm
* Benches and computers won't despawn before alarm - after alarm they never have NPCs so I see no problem in making them despawn then.

MORE EDIT: Forgot to mention, because my sitemaps.txt won't load I can't be sure whether benches work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:00:51 am by Kay12 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:50:32 pm »

Can the game differentiate between what kind of NPC is under the table (in the closet, heh.) It would be odd to see like the Police Gang Squad all hiding under a park bench.

Other than that, awesome sauce. People hiding instead of straight evacuating is a nice touch.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:07:33 pm »

Vonnegut slashes the offending projectile in half!

Vonnegut is hit twice for double damage!

Lol, they did this on an episode of mythbusters... They proved that a samurai sword could and would chop a lead bullet in half (albeit it damages the sword too), but all that happens is that you get 2 holes in the target instead of 1...

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 12:12:20 am »

Can the game differentiate between what kind of NPC is under the table (in the closet, heh.) It would be odd to see like the Police Gang Squad all hiding under a park bench.

Other than that, awesome sauce. People hiding instead of straight evacuating is a nice touch.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to, for example, do the following;
If there's alarm and you run into a table, a random number god is consulted and there could be a 1/3 chance of the game generating a security/police force specific to the site "fortified" there, and 2/3 chance of being normal NPCs. When it's evac-mode tables could either be always empty, have a x% chance of being empty vs occupied, or always be occupied.

About hiding under the table, just in case someone thought otherwise; that already was there, I just made them not despawn. It is a nice touch though!
Pages: [1] 2