Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you build or mine out your rooms?  (Read 3341 times)

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you build or mine out your rooms?
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:07 pm »

Reason I'm asking this is: I recently stuck on adventure mode again and noticed that most of the rooms (so to speak), tend to be "built" up, rather than mined out.

As in, it's like minning a whole Z-level and then if you were to have a dinning hall, you would build the wall and then convert it into a dinning room. I've noticed it too with the carvens in fortress mode.

So, I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong by minning out rooms from the rocks.

I'm not really asking for what is "right". But I would like to get some insight on what others do.

Also, those of you who do mine out rooms, do you mine around the rest of the stone so it's like a room within a mined area or do you leave the rest of the walls?

For example:   

wwwww
wwwww
wwRww
wwRww

w = w, R = Room

Or do you just have it like:
CCCCC
CCCCC
CwRwC
CwRwC

C = clear/mined land, w = wall, R = room
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:21:25 pm by dmurray »

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you build or mine out your rooms?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

It all depends on what your aiming for in a fort. But mining is much quicker. It can lead to having annoying (for me anyway) veins of random metal ruining your otherwise perfectly laid out housing estate though.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:57:41 pm »

I usually mine out my rooms and have the walls made from natural stone, since you cannot engrave constructed walls. However, if I end up with some soil-layer intrusions into my nice stone walls, I will mine them out and construct smooth walls out of stone blocks to keep it consistent. I really hate it when my smoothed walls are interrupted by unsmoothed soil.

I will also mine out and re-wall areas that are too strikingly different in color from the rest of the area, but only sporadically and generally in higher-traffic or more important parts of the fortress.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:04:07 pm »

I'm fond of above-ground forts, so mine are practically always built.  Or cast obsidian...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:11:05 pm »

I'm fond of above-ground forts, so mine are practically always built.  Or cast obsidian...
Underlined: Human.

Bolded: Dwarf  8)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »

You try building above ground, with fortress defense mod.  You're on average, always under siege by 2-3 factions, some of which may or may not have ranged weapons and all of which cause job cancel spam.  Where your miner will casually stroll through the underground, your masons will fight for their lives to plant every brick in the very small 500 stone's worth floorspace.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:19:00 pm »

I carefully designate rooms below ground and dig them out of natural stone. Sometimes I make a mistake or want to remodel a room after it has been dug, in which I'll use constructed walls or floors to remodel the room.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:38:36 pm »

I mine out individual rooms. Once a block of rooms is complete, I will go back and mine out any gems/ore left behind. Then I go back and fill in the holes using stone blocks that match the host rock. Only then do I smooth and engrave.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

For workshops I just mine out a 5x5 for each one. Usually in blocks of 6. With the barracks, bedrooms and dining rooms mined out, smoothed and engraved to help keep the fort happy.  If theres decent gems or ore Ill mine them out and replace those bits with walls.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 07:13:26 pm »

I don't really mind the veins of metal in the midst of my bedrooms. That makes the bedrooms higher value and those get assigned to my miners. They're the real backbone of the fort, and since I have to keep them happy so they keep working and don't kill other dwarfs, they always get the highest value rooms.

And if the nobles don't like that, they can suck copious amounts of Magma. Actually, they can suck copious amounts of Magma anyway. There are no accidents in my forts. We go X number of days without a noble dying. :D

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:14:52 pm »

It all depends on what your aiming for in a fort. But mining is much quicker. It can lead to having annoying (for me anyway) veins of random metal ruining your otherwise perfectly laid out housing estate though.
I find the ore veins pretty >.> (and room value is good too.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:20:16 pm »

I was thinking of building a whole human based settlement aboveground. We capture humans, build a massive magma-powered temple, then sacrifice them to armok as assistants to the gods.

Back to the point, I always dig my fortress, except for the occasional castle and keep on ground level.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 09:11:11 pm »

I was thinking of building a whole human based settlement aboveground. We capture humans, build a massive magma-powered temple, then sacrifice them to armok as assistants to the gods.

Back to the point, I always dig my fortress, except for the occasional castle and keep on ground level.
You could add [PET] to humans, and then dump them down there. They'll need food and a lake that has a channel into it.

Aatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »

I tend to build out rooms and then smooth them, Eventually I tend to get annoyed with my legendary miners leaving so much stone in my hallways that I have to assign burrows to stop them from mining out rooms instead of mining ore.

I also hate building on the surface, it takes too much time to assign the building of all those walls...

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »

I tend to build out rooms and then smooth them, Eventually I tend to get annoyed with my legendary miners leaving so much stone in my hallways that I have to assign burrows to stop them from mining out rooms instead of mining ore.

I also hate building on the surface, it takes too much time to assign the building of all those walls...

Yeah, sometimes I wish building walls could be accomplished by the same kind of tools that is used to (D)esignate.
Pages: [1] 2