Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you build or mine out your rooms?  (Read 3339 times)

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Do you build or mine out your rooms?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »

I tend to build out rooms and then smooth them, Eventually I tend to get annoyed with my legendary miners leaving so much stone in my hallways that I have to assign burrows to stop them from mining out rooms instead of mining ore.

I also hate building on the surface, it takes too much time to assign the building of all those walls...

Were you aware that you can make a wall up to 10 squares long in a straight line using either u/m or h/k? You still need to do at least one designation per direction, but a normal room takes 4 wall commands rather than (for a 3x3 room with one-thick walls) 13?

It's still a lot, but it is a lot fewer.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 05:33:51 am »

I tend to build out rooms and then smooth them, Eventually I tend to get annoyed with my legendary miners leaving so much stone in my hallways that I have to assign burrows to stop them from mining out rooms instead of mining ore.

I also hate building on the surface, it takes too much time to assign the building of all those walls...

Were you aware that you can make a wall up to 10 squares long in a straight line using either u/m or h/k? You still need to do at least one designation per direction, but a normal room takes 4 wall commands rather than (for a 3x3 room with one-thick walls) 13?

It's still a lot, but it is a lot fewer.

2 actually.

You can designate a solid block of rooms, and then remove the tiles you don't want with q.  Ok, you might not count mass-removal with 'q' as one command, but its a lot easier than designating new wall strips for small rooms.  (Becomes impractical for larger rooms).

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 05:41:49 am »

Mined. Usually like this

wwwww
wcccw
dcBcw
wcccw
wwwww

So just a three-tile room with a bed and a door. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:40:59 am »

I mine out rooms and I always make sure I'm down far enough to be in a stone layer. This is entirely because I'm completely OCD about EVERYTHING being engraved.I also leave ore and gems where they are if mining them isn't part of the design. The higher value room is nice and what's more badass than half your room being made of sapphires that have been engraved with such skill it makes a grown dwarf cry...lava
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:34 am »

2 actually.

You can designate a solid block of rooms, and then remove the tiles you don't want with q.  Ok, you might not count mass-removal with 'q' as one command, but its a lot easier than designating new wall strips for small rooms.  (Becomes impractical for larger rooms).

Oh, hey. Even better! I don't usually make whole rooms, I am usually just repairing holes in my walls where some valuable stone intersected my constructions, so I hadn't thought of trying that.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 09:57:53 am »

Mined, unless I'm feeling insane and building an above-ground area (which I sometimes do, to stuff nobles into.)
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 09:33:44 pm »

I mine out the walls for the commoners' bedrooms, but I build the nobles' and legendaries' walls out of silver.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 10:14:27 pm »

I mine out individual rooms. Once a block of rooms is complete, I will go back and mine out any gems/ore left behind. Then I go back and fill in the holes using stone blocks that match the host rock. Only then do I smooth and engrave.
Wait ... you are able to smooth a wall constructed of rough blocks?!  ???
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 01:34:58 am »

Mined, smoothed, and possibly engraved.

The only time I will construct a room's wall is if there is a mineral vein running through those tiles, in which case I will dig out the ore, then place a constructed wall in that tile.  (Ideally using rock blocks, but I'm generally not picky unless it's a noble room.)
Pages: 1 [2]