Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: copper...  (Read 4173 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
copper...
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:37:48 am »

So my current fort has only copper(I havent breatched the caverns yet so...). How good is copper. I also have that silver/copper ore stuff but not too much.

(Also, I am using cinnambar and coaline to make most structures. Its red!)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: copper...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:39:57 am »

So my current fort has only copper(I havent breatched the caverns yet so...). How good is copper. I also have that silver/copper ore stuff but not too much.

Copper's pretty bad, but better than silver for armour.

I'd suggest making copper picks for a miner military. Close off your fortress and train on cavern creatures.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:52 am »

It's not as bad as many people think. Mostly you're dealing with goblins, and mostly they have copper, silver or iron weapons. Blunt weapons of all types, as well as arrows and bolts, aren't greatly affected by even steel armour, while copper and silver edged weapons are quite easily deflected. Only really noticeable difference is with iron edged weapons, and that only comes up here and there.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:05:24 am »

So are copper warhammers a good idea?

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:09:55 am »

No, definitely use silver for warhammers since you've got it. Silver makes about the best warhammers available without moods.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:18:02 am »

so what should I make with th copper?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:19:21 am »

The one thing I hate about Copper. ITS NEVER FOUND NEAR CASSIRITE (tin ore). There is like OVER 9000! Units of Copper at my site right now and that useless nickle ore, no damn tin!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 04:25:36 am »

Build spears, make weapon traps.  Harvest iron goblinite, make steel weapons and armor, fit your military.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:32:13 am »

if your civ has access to iron ore, you can request a minimum 16 units of steel per year (4 steel + 4 pig iron + 4 iron + 4 flux + 4 steel anvils).
With enough flux, you can also request the ores themselves and smelt them into more steel.
This is enough to make steel picks or axes or swords for 16-dwarf military, or weapons + helmets for 8-dwarf military.
If your civ has no iron ore, it still can magically make steel and pig iron, and some type flux can commonly be requested. Iron can then be acquired from humanite or goblinite.

Also, you can import tin, bismuth, cassiterite and bismuthnite if your civ has them. Smelting bismuth bronze yields huge amount of bars. 4 tin + 4bismuth +4cassiterite +4 bismuthinite from caravan is 64 bars of bismuth bronze, and then add 4 bars bismuth bronze and 4 bars of regular bronze from the caravan. - 72 bars is enough to armour an entire squad.
Bronze, it's not that bad against goblins' weapons.

After all, if you are not in some sort of challenge, nothing actually prevents you from safely cutting some excess blue stuff if you know what i mean. you only need 5 rock per soldier in a minimal setup (with steel breastplate, shield and weapon)
edit: miscalculation
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:34:37 am by nanomage »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:58 am »

8 makes a full set of armor and weapon.  Helm, breastplate, mail shirt, gauntlets, greaves, high boots, shield, and weapon.  This should not be extremely difficult.  Less if you cut corners, like if everyone is better with shields, the armor can lack.  Steel shield and bronze breasplate, for instance.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:58:44 am »

what about copper arrows?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:18 am »

Copper warhammers, maces AND shields are in fact better than iron ones.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 04:59:41 am »

i always make copper bolts. i dont like wasting precious steel on bolts when copper does the same job well. (so many bolts get fired anyway lol)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:12:27 am »

copper bolts maybe marginally worse than silver or steel or bronze ones, but it's negligible anyway - all metal bolts are roughly the same againts goblin-quality armor.
howerever, i don't see the point in making copper bolts if you can make silver ones with tetrahedrite.

You can also mod billon to be forged into bolts - after all, if silver and copper can, why can't their alloy?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 05:15:29 am »

on the matter of metals- My metalcrafter forged an artifact silver spear. What does this mean?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4