Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Shadowrun mod development (discuss, share, borrow)  (Read 8809 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: I need people with Shadowrun rulebooks/knowledge
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:07:45 pm »

Megacorporate Fortress: Stories of Greed and Greed.

Depot becomes Loading Dock.  Diplomats become Salesmen.  Crafts become Export goods.  Research facilities.

And milita becomes security.

SINless "citizens" are executed or forced into labor as necessary.

Possible megaprojects include building a skyscraper, paving all the town's roads, making a stripmine for exportation (with "criminals" forced to work for you), and generally pissing off the Amerinds by cutting down all their trees.

Bonus Points: Tribal organizations, Smuggler rings, and Nation States as possible "Fortress" types

Adventure mode criminals could be called Runners, and only Mr Johnson has the tags that would make him a quest giver.  Tho adventure mode would work WAY better with Nightclubs (tavern alternate name)

Goblinization is a somewhat rare occurance in the age of 2050, but it doesn't have to be like that.  To ensure some metahumans in your fortress, you could model all the different races as castes.  Since they're all homo sapiens somethingelseis, they would work pretty good as rare castes and maybe a separate creature type for the ones who run their own nations other than humans (elf caste, but also an elf creature)

If you're playing as a Humanis Policlub member, you can then just execute the "freaks" that are born to your pure race of hillbillies.

Or at least, that's how it could work.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:19:53 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »

Aright...I only have an old 2nd edition rulebook, but the info should be the same.

(Meta)Humanity
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Selected Paranatural Beings
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-Patterson's Guide, Heavily Abridged. Supplement knowledge with a standard mythology handbook.

Also, post the mod when finished please. It seems awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 03:29:46 am »

Deon, I am very curious what you are going to do with this.  I loved Shadowrun but just do not see how it could fit into a DF world.  Are you just going to make a somewhat regular DF game with all the races / creatures from Shadowrun or do you have something else in mind?  I just don't see how you can turn digging holes in the ground and setting up defenses into Shadow run.

Can Urist McHacker really steel the plans for a new hover forge from the Elfhaswood Megacorp fighting his way through Black IC while his Physical Adept friend Urist McSteelDwarf fights off hordes from the Goblin Security company with his machine gun and the gear on the Panzer assault vehicle they stole before making a daring high speed getaway.....
I am just rebuilding the universe. The moment I saw the Shadowrun setting with its metahumans I thought that it would greatly fit into DF with its caste system.

We will have to wait until the next release to get the true HMHVV, but a base mod is needed because the most important thing in TC is to build the main "basement", everything else is a subject of tweaking and doesn't take too much time.

So yeah, I wanted to do it a long time ago, and now when I start getting some free time I've decided "screw it, let's make it".

It should totally shine once we get city quests in DF (the next release too), with catacombs and "city quests". Those will be like shadowruns :).

@Jeoshua: That's a lot of useful info condensed in one place! Thank you very much :).
As for the good news, I've found a few books amongst my friends and "pirated" some more, so now I have the full Shadowrun bestiary and most of culture/environment rulebooks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:31:31 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 05:36:56 am »

Oh my god. I've just found the "Parazoology" book... Man, so many mutant/magical creature variants! A ton of horse hybrids, dangerous fish and other critters... AND ELEPHANTS WITH FACE TENTACLES! Darn, illithid elephants! :D

I am so going to have fun with it.

Btw I plan to have "mundane" critters in normal biomes and mutant/magical in evil/good biomes. I guess it's a sane decision, right?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 12:22:48 pm »

Yeah Shadowrun treats magic-high areas as most science fiction would treat radiation.  Giant deformed beasts of all stripes roam the shattered lands of the former US.

Can you tell I love the setting XD

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 12:33:26 pm »

AFAIK it's not just US, I've got a full book on european critters too :). And yeah, I'm done with terrestrial mundane critters. I will need to add poisons and syndromes to them, but other then that I am on avians now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »

This might be another one of those TCs that I end up trying to shoehorn back into Vanilla.  I see no reason for the SR critters not to fit into the vanilla DF feel... after all most of them are culled from Earthdawn, which was a pure fantasy world.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »

Yeah, they are all as much mutants as magical creatures, so this mod helps Genesis a lot by its development :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

Whoa, wait, a Shadowrun mod? This just made my day. I may have to dig out my old source books... mothballed since 1998  :-*
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowrun mod development (discuss, share, borrow)
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

It's great to see that more people are interested, it motivates me a lot! Hello, Fleeb :).

I've updated the creature files in the first post, now I just need to finish snakes and it should be a solid framework for mundane areas.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

Sounds cool - I used to be obsessive over the (pen and paper) game, and have a lot of books as well as general setting-knowledge, if there's anything you want to know/want an opinion on.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 06:05:26 pm »

Went back and played the Xbox 360 canon. Now I've borrowed a friend's Shadowrun books and I'm hooked.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 06:11:26 pm »

Went back and played the Xbox 360 canon. Now I've borrowed a friend's Shadowrun books and I'm hooked.
Xbox 360...canon?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 06:24:29 pm »

Xbox 360...canon?

LIES! The XBox game cannot be considered cannon, or even fannon, since it was a FPS not an RPG.  The only similarities between the ACTUAL Shadowrun and the XBox abortion was visual.  Nothing more.

The same is not true for the old SNES and Genesis games.  Although they were sorely lacking anything deep or edgy, they were RPG/Adventures and did expose some of the world of Shadowrun.  In a way they could be considered Canon-Lite.  Back in the day, FASA cared about their copyrights and intellectual property.  Today... well today they've gone out of business and sold the rights to Microsoft.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:27:13 pm by Jeoshua »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »

Who cares, if the guy has a nostalgia, let him have it :).

I've only played the Genesis Shadowrun a month or two ago, so it was a new experience to me.

Sounds cool - I used to be obsessive over the (pen and paper) game, and have a lot of books as well as general setting-knowledge, if there's anything you want to know/want an opinion on.
Right now I miss info on naga and centaurs. I don't know proper naga physiology nor culture, and I have trouble finding proper info on centaur culture.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5