Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Shadowrun mod development (discuss, share, borrow)  (Read 8799 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Shadowrun mod development (discuss, share, borrow)
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:25:31 am »

I need all the info you can provide on the metahumans and awakened animals.

I am working on mundane animals now, and there's no trouble here, but I lack some rulebooks so my main knowledge comes from "Running Wild" (4th ed) and "Paranormal animals of North America" and "Paranormal animals of Europe".

Also I need all possible info on Naga since I cannot google a lot of useful stuff about them...

That's what I've got so far (because even though you know that I take mods seriously and your help won't vanish, still I don't want to make empty sounds :P).

Terrestrial mundane creatures:
creature_sr_terr_canine
creature_sr_terr_herbivore
creature_sr_terr_megafauna
creature_sr_terr_predator_apex
creature_sr_terr_predator_small
creature_sr_terr_primate
creature_sr_terr_rodent
creature_sr_terr_vermin

All animals come with sounds and gender-related "genesis bodyparts" heh.
These files are by no means complete, but they have the key animals to populate the world.

I am working on "terrestrial:snake" files now. Next will come aerial, then aquatic. It will probably take a day or two. I also want to make this mod to look organized as good as possible, for others to take what they want easily.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 01:00:08 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: I need people with Shadowrun rulebooks/knowledge
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:51:19 am »

I have read one Shadowrun novel and I got the Shadowrun Xbox game (fast elves with phase-through-walls spell dominate), but that amounts to very little knowledge.

The first priority should go to making creatures exist, then size and speed and natural skills. Hair colours and vocalazations last.

Speed is very important in DF. Maybe make toughstandard_materials in three toughness levels, trivial to do but might be nice in combat/bullet-resistance. So normal(human, kitten) flesh, beast(D&D troll, dinosaurs) flesh, magic flesh, supermagic flesh (toughness 0,1,2,3)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:58:39 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:00:26 am »

I plan to go deeper than standard/toughstandard materials for the second release (after the initial ones with all the creatures' framework and main entities).

Basically with creature-specific or creature type-specific materials.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:30:13 am »

Use 4chan /rs/ if you know what I mean. Can't say anything more I think.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:43:00 am »

There's a nice collection of the 4th Edition Shadowrun Rulebooks floating around on TPB, if you aren't averse to piracy. I'd link to it, but...well, something tells me that's a bad idea.

Otherwise, I do have legit copies of the rulebooks, Deon, and if you need a statblock or something like that, just shoot me a PM and I'll throw the relevant stuff your way.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:36 am »

I live in Seattle.

I do not think any of the designers of the game have ever been here.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 01:37:38 pm »

Shadowrun was always one of my favorite RPG worlds.  Fun for the whole family... if your family likes oppressive megacorporations, people either being a cog in the machine or totally denied, and magical beasts that will kill you with a look.

I've personally already modded my races to have life-cycles similar to the metahumans from SR (and thereby Earthdawn).  Trolls that live 500 years always seemed a bit daft to me.  They have regenerative powers, that has to burn them up something fierce, right?

Anyways, you might try looking up Earthdawn as well.  That's the old world part of the setting, set before modern history.  All the metas are there, and much better fleshed out.  4th ed SR went off the deep end into Augmented Reality and Bioware, and really didn't focus much on the things that one could do in a game like DF
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Selenite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:19 pm »

Oh...Shadowrun! Such a fun game, I remember playing it on the SNES.
I still play it on emulators.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »

...I've got the first edition core rulebook...so...completely incompatible with anything from Running Wild more than likely...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »

Why? We don't use Shadowrun rules, I am mostly interested in critters/races/cultures, everything else gets my own rules :).

I'm almost done with mundane terrestrial creatures.

Then I will fill the aquatic and aerial niche (should be less work).

I also try to implement the ADOM naming mechanic (so creatures named by their types, not first letters). So all reptiles are R (alligators, komodo dragons, monitor lizards), all hooved animals are U (ungulates), all rodents are r etc. I have a trouble with kangaroo (I guess I will leave it 'K'), and megafauna creatures are all M (giraffes, elephants, rhinos, hippos) which stands both for "mega" and "mammal".

The planned races for now are:

1) Tribals (playable) - with humans as the most frequent caste and metahumans as castes.
 All castes get only 10% learning speed of mining btw, because I want players to build aboveground structures too (and I will incorporate concrete and sawmill, so it will be easier). Try to find some dwarves with 50% mining learning skill if you can :). Orcs will be better fighters and worse crafters, and trolls will be slow-learning individuals with great physical attributes.
2) Amerindians, which more or less play the role of elves and are powerful warriors (with shapeshifter caste).
3) Corporations, which will be able to trade you weapons and probably some technology plans (I plan to incorporate "invention" mechanic which will go into Genesis too).
4) Elven, orcish etc. tribes which won't trade with your fort, but will appear in worldgen and adventure mode (their main role though is to stop "central" races from occupying the whole wilderness with their cottages and towns).
5) Enemies, mostly HMHVV victims. Probably as separate races (goblins, harvesters, ghouls, vampires).
6) Naga if I can find any good info on them. Maybe they were too location-specific to be included, but I want them.
7) I may include centaurs, either as a neutral or a hostile entity.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »

Do remember that "goblins" are not as they were in other games.  The reawakening of magic caused a process which has been dubbed "Goblinization" by the powers-that-be.  In which, people morph from humans into the various meta-races at the time of puberty.  The phrase was particularly applied to those becomming Orcs or Trolls, as their transformations were the most dramatic... and traumatic.

Elves were generally spared from the social stigma of Goblinization by virtue of their transformations being mostly internal, and not visual.  Their ears grew at puberty, and otherwise their transformations were very mild.

However, many of those peoples that felt oppressed or marginalized by their transformations did form separate societies, under the assumption that if various groups like the Humanis Policlub were seeking their extinction, that there would be safety in numbers.  Orc Street Gangs are, of course, the lower level of this trend.  Some sourcebooks have Goblinized humanity seeking protection in larger enclaves, trusting their fellow Orcs and Trolls will provide them better protection from those that would do them harm than a corrupt, ineffectual police department, or the equally corrupt tho marginally effective corporate security forces.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:23:39 pm »

I confused goblinization to be a part of HMHVV mutation. Now I see that those were different events. I will read a bit more :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 04:34:32 pm »

HMHVV-related transformation slots very handilly into the Night Creatures.  Remember that one can definitely set [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] and [CONVERTED_SPOUSE] for any modded-in creature type, and the game will accept them handily.  Theirs is a disease which can be passed on to those they attack as well as their children.

Vampires
Werewolves
Wendigo
Oni

All these types and more are the "Night Creatures" of the Shadowrun universe.  Theirs is a demi-magical disease, not truly unlife but a virulent condition.  Generally, the type of HMHVV variant that a creature becomes is dependant somehow on their metahuman type and their culture.  Japanese Orcs become Oni when infected.  Native American humans tend to become Wendigo.  And so on.

It's probably not possible to model that specific of a transformation until we get a more in-depth curse system... namely next release.

Orcs
Trolls
Humans
Elves
Dwarves

These are Metahumans.  Their transformations came as suddenly as HMHVV, but cannot be spread through the transfer of a contaminant.  Their catalyst was the return of magic after the Ghost Dance of 2012.  They breed true, and their offspring are invariably of the type of their mother... presumably metahumanity is carried upon the X chromosome, and is not subject to mixing.

There are "racial purity" groups out there that will fail to see the distinction.  Any kind of modification from the Human type is seen as evil and unclean.  They go to great lengths to see to the purity of the human species, up to an including mass genocide of Metahumans and HMHVV-infectees alike.

Look at them like a KKK that doesn't hate black people, but instead anything not really Humanity Proper.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:41:10 pm by Jeoshua »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »

Tir Tairngire (cheer tahr-In-jeereh), home of the elves.
Salish Shide, Native American Elves
Aztlan, Corporate rebirth of mesoamerica

You should deffinitely make sure you portray the specific nations that some of the metahumans have made.  Humans should be the ones with [DEFAULT_SITE:CITY], and the other metahuman races should have [LIKES_SITE:CITY].  That way there will be metahumans moving into the city in a decent amount of numbers.  The rarer metahuman types should probably just [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY], so their numbers are much fewer but still present.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 05:32:14 pm by Jeoshua »

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »

Deon, I am very curious what you are going to do with this.  I loved Shadowrun but just do not see how it could fit into a DF world.  Are you just going to make a somewhat regular DF game with all the races / creatures from Shadowrun or do you have something else in mind?  I just don't see how you can turn digging holes in the ground and setting up defenses into Shadow run.

Can Urist McHacker really steel the plans for a new hover forge from the Elfhaswood Megacorp fighting his way through Black IC while his Physical Adept friend Urist McSteelDwarf fights off hordes from the Goblin Security company with his machine gun and the gear on the Panzer assault vehicle they stole before making a daring high speed getaway.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5