Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Millenium Fortress  (Read 21332 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Millenium Fortress
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2011, 09:54:06 am »

Can the Cheat Engine create a 32 Ghz processor out of thin air?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2011, 11:14:22 am »

I think what tetra meant was that you should alter the flow of time so, that 1 year = 10 steps or something.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2011, 11:29:05 am »

I think what tetra meant was that you should alter the flow of time so, that 1 year = 10 steps or something.

That would be besides the point. If I wanted to do that, I could just use the cheat engine to change the date to 10,000,000 and say I ran it for ten million years...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2011, 11:37:45 am »

I know. It would be very undwarfy. No reason to do so.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2011, 01:39:02 am »

Badger, badger, badger, badger... MUSHROOMS! MUSHROOMS! Badger, badger, badger, badger...

Yeah, that's basically the 1k fort so far.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:15 pm »

So did this ever finish, or did it die like the thread did?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Ankareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:27 am »

Well, I'm doing a similar fort, I want to make it survive for a thousand year but without any of the time compression thing the OP did. Right now i'm at my 8th year on vanilla DF with only these modification to the raws: I gave [SPEED:0] to my dwarves (but probably i'll remove that) and I gave [CAN_TALK] and [CAN_LEARN] tags to cats. I'm using perfect spot v2 embark.

While nothing really awesome happened, probably the superfast dwarves and the huge amount of gold make my fort really appealing to goblins: in second year I got a siege of like 4 pages of invaders...

So, here it started the journey of Chastewomen, homeland of The Ageless Book of Lust. Strike The Earth!

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 07:00:57 am »

I hope you intend to provide new dwarfpower through all those chaste yet lustful dwarven women.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:12 am »

When I first opened this thread, I thought it was about building and living in the Millenium Falcon in DF.

"Great Urist, don't get cocky!"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:39:45 am by Corneria »
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »

hm.. im trying to make it so the dorfs are truly wiped out.. where exactly do i set it for them to only get to 2 years old? ;)

sweet jesus, i try everything to make sure every last one of these bastards are dead, and then i just get flooded with migrants upon migrants upon migrants..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:11:36 pm by zehive »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2011, 01:33:44 am »

I've just tested this and it doesn't seem possible in this version.

First problem: Ghosts.
I gave the dwarves and all traders the [CANNOT_UNDEAD] tag and ghosts still came up and wrecked everything.

Second Problem: Farming. Do children who grow up harvesting have the farmer skill enabled when they grow up? If they don't then it's not automatic.
I suppose one could give dwarves a natural skill of farming but I don't know if that starts them with the skill enabled.

Third Problem: Water. Some stupid dwarves will just refuse to drink it. I gave them plenty of areas to drink from yet some still died from thirst. I tried giving them buckets so they force feed each other like ants but that didn't work. They just left full buckets all over the place.

Fourth Problem: Strange Moods. In the brief time I had my fortress I had a failed mood which caused a tantrum spiral after the guy beserked and killed a few people.
Strange moods are linked to wealth, dug out space and population I believe so as long as you have enough resources to makes 2-3 without fail there shouldn't be a problem.

Fifth Problem: Diplomats. Turned off all annoucments, which worked. However couldn't turn off the "diplomat left unhappy" box that comes up. Which pauses the game.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2011, 02:05:12 am »

I'm pretty sure strange moods are no longer linked to dug out space-- long-term fort, stable structure, and I've got four pages of artifacts.

You'd think that it wouldn't matter, you could just lock the mooders in to die-- but it seems like the average age till mood is something like eight.  Not going to be able to make a stable millenium fort without dealing with moods.

I'd recommend, rather than having it pause and locking them into their deaths, to get set up with a good stockpile of mood items before just walking away from it.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2011, 02:27:11 am »

The problem is you pretty much have to have every item in the game. Because you know some idiot will request rose gold or turtle shell.

Acutally an idea just hit me. If you really wanna try to get it to be automatic you could make a one way path using ramps that go into the workshop rooms.
Any silly dwarf that goes into a strange mood will path into the workshop area only to be stuck. Of course the problem here is having dwarfs path to the corpse and putting it in refuse and getting stuck themselves.
You could stop them doing that via the orders screen but it wouldn't stop people falling dead in the dining room and stinking up the place,
oh well that doesn't work.

Suppose you could chain up an animal in the room so it kills the beserk dwarf. Acutally the animals would just die or old age or breed too much. Maybe you could mod a dog's raw to be immortal?

The only way one could do is have a lever hooked up to a repeating lava or drowning trap inside the room. Apparently zerking dwarves will pull any levers they come across. I doubt this would be 100% though and it would take way too long to set up. :/

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2011, 02:51:09 am »

Not quite that bad.  They won't want rose gold, because they'll never get a metal mood-- specific needs seem only for the primary material (and for me, only for metalworking moods, although I've had a few kids die when I couldn't figure out what the hell they wanted).

But eventually, yeah, somebody is going to want something you don't have and go berserk-- you probably won't have military to deal with it, and if you do, it might be a military dwarf that berserks.  Can't make it completely a sit-and-watch affair.  Closest I could imagine coming to that would be a cage trap outside your craftsdwarf workshop, a large number of empty cages, and a large animal stockpile.

Can you avoid the problems with diplomats by embarking only on locations without trade, maybe via embark anywhere?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2011, 03:21:16 am »

I'm not sure about zerking dorfs but enimies that have seen your traps know where they are, so cage traps may or may not work here. If it is true that they cannot then a simple weapon trap should sort them out considering they'd just starve in cages anyway.

Dwarves with no skills in anything default to the crafting skills when they get a strange mood. This might also include metalcrafting but I can't be sure on that, never had it happen.

Even if you embark on a location with no outside trade you'll always get your home civ coming to trade who will bring along their own diplomat so thats out too.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6