Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: and now what...  (Read 1273 times)

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
and now what...
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

I have a queen, I have crafted for more than 25M, I have killed hundreds of gobelins, I have survived to about 10 sieges... Should I abandon my fortress and restart a new one or are there any other things I could do?

Funny fact: one of my dwarves has crafted a 1.7M adamantine mug, and some of my dwarves crafted items with an image representing this legendary mug

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: and now what...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »

Fortresses end when you're ready for them to end. If you can stand up to more-or-less any siege, have completed any megaprojects you want to complete, and have conquered the circus, either think up more megaprojects to try or end the fort. Alternatively, make a megaproject that will end the fort; drop everyone and everything into the SMR, make a device to quickly flood your whole fort with magma, something like that.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:16:43 pm »

Well I have completed a 3-z levels hall with columns, Moria style, I have built a big tower. I would like to fight some dragons and colossus but none of them came :(

By the circus do you mean the Hell? I haven't been able to kill any demon...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »

I do mean Hell by "circus;" it's a common euphemism, with various other things associated with the deepest depths using terms related to carnivals and the like. For instance, demons are usually called "clowns."

If you've not killed any of them, why not seek them out? I had a 30-strong force of experienced dwarves in full layered masterwork steel armor with masterwork adamantine battle axes, and my army got owned. I had to seal off the hellgate, construct a field of spike traps, and let the demons run over repeating spikes to take at least the majority of them out, and I even lost a couple dozen of the traps due to flame demons melting the mechanisms or spikes when they died. The demon force is a challenging opponent, and creating an outpost in the deepest pits of Hell shows one is a skilled player.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:44:37 pm »

what kind of spike did you use for that? adamantine spikes?

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »

You may try a stupid dwarf trick or a megaproject...

Why not flood the world with magma? Lol poor elves standing on the trade depot.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »

Steel spikes with marble mechanisms. Demons made of flame are very hot, at 25000 degrees Urist, but that wouldn't be enough to melt adamantine or raw adamantine. Anything but those materials, though, are vulnerable, and marble isn't even magma-safe, so I'd lose the mechanism and a couple of actual spikes whenever a flame demon was struck.

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:31:16 pm »

Steel spikes with marble mechanisms. Demons made of flame are very hot, at 25000 degrees Urist, but that wouldn't be enough to melt adamantine or raw adamantine. Anything but those materials, though, are vulnerable, and marble isn't even magma-safe, so I'd lose the mechanism and a couple of actual spikes whenever a flame demon was struck.
interesting...
and what are the mechanisms for? when I put spikes (b-T-S), it seems not to require any mechanism...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »

You need to hook them up to a lever to make then actually hurt anything that's not falling on them.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 06:56:48 pm »

Spike traps don't actually attack enemies that walk over them. They only actually poke creatures that fall on them or that are standing on top of them when the spike turns "off." The up side of that, though, is that they spike anything standing on top of them when they come out of the floor, including things that are immune to traps otherwise like demons. As such, you've got to link them to a lever or pressure plate. Levers are more efficient since you can just set them to be pulled on repeat and they'll spike at the maximum possible rate. Regardless, that takes mechanisms.

Demons aren't actually any more resistant to damage than other creatures of the same material, though their abnormally-high natural skills allows them to parry or dodge more often than, say, a rutherer. They also don't seem to bleed much and are immune to lots of things like forgotten beasts are, so they're more difficult to take out, but enough spike hits will cripple or kill them eventually. My own spike field was 30x3 tiles, each trap with 10 spikes, and most of the clowns died before making all the way through (though more got through later on as the spirits of flame and flame wraiths took out traps).

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 07:05:29 pm »

That's what mooded Lignite spears are for. :D Then they turn other clowns into !!CLOWNS!! which is awesome. (When it works.)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 01:24:57 am »

Oh, woe to the experienced player who longs for the challenge of his nooby days. He is evil, for he now seeks challenge in inhospitable and dangerous areas of the world where death and pain is most likely, and self-destruction even for amusement is evil.

No one else will get this, because I doubt anyone else played rubies of eventide. Curse you philosophical NPC's!
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 04:07:53 am »

They only actually poke creatures that fall on them or that are standing on top of them when the spike turns "off." The up side of that, though, is that they spike anything standing on top of them when they come out of the floor, including things that are immune to traps otherwise like demons. As such, you've got to link them to a lever or pressure plate.
So if i get it well: I should link my spike tiles to one single lever (is it possible?) and keep on activate/de-activate it while keeping the clowns busy, is that correct?
when the spike turns "off."
do you mean when the spike turns on?

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:41:10 am »

They only actually poke creatures that fall on them or that are standing on top of them when the spike turns "off." The up side of that, though, is that they spike anything standing on top of them when they come out of the floor, including things that are immune to traps otherwise like demons. As such, you've got to link them to a lever or pressure plate.
So if i get it well: I should link my spike tiles to one single lever (is it possible?) and keep on activate/de-activate it while keeping the clowns busy, is that correct?

Yes, you can and should link them all to one lever.

Not sure, but I believe a spike is 'up' when it is 'off' and 'retracted' when it is 'on'. Link it up to a lever and pull it twice and that'll show you for sure.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

San_A333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:07:27 pm »

actually it depends on how the lever was initially triggered when linked to the trap

Yes, you can and should link them all to one lever.

Not sure, but I believe a spike is 'up' when it is 'off' and 'retracted' when it is 'on'. Link it up to a lever and pull it twice and that'll show you for sure.
Pages: [1] 2