Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very Disappointing Siege  (Read 2441 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very Disappointing Siege
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »

A goblin siege arrived in the 3rd year of my fortress. I had no significant military, so I closed my gates. A season later, I was ready to end my fortress, so I opened the gates. The goblins didn't move.

Anxious to stir up the goblins, I sent my apprentice hammerdwarf to kill them. (Apprentice: low skill level, armed with a crossbow.) He got killed, and managed to kill a goblin (by shaking its toe around).

Many average worker dwarves went out to collect his clothes; as anticipated, the goblins chased them and they fled back to the fortress. I had stationed my squad of 10 low-skilled marksdwarves on the walls above the gate with a burrow, waiting for the goblins. (Low-skill: they've got crossbows and bolts. That's about it.)

The goblins came in and the marksdwarves decided to run down from the battlements and club them with the crossbows. I expected them to die anyway, so it didn't matter. About a third of my working force was in this brawl as well.

The goblins lost. Every single goblin died. Not one dwarf (other than the hammerdwarf) died. A full siege force lost to under 40 no-skill dwarves and a few hunters. I was disappointed.

Are sieges usually this weak? Also, any suggestions to help destroy my population would be helpful. I'm already working on caving in the main dining hall.

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very Disappointing Siege
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:58:18 pm »

Usually if the siege occurs in the 3rd year (depending on your progress) it's probably not a big siege.  The first few sieges can have only a few groups.  Later sieges can have 100+ goblins mounted on monsters with multiple groups of ogres or trolls.  I think in those situations your fort would not have survived.  How many goblins were there at the siege?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:01:37 pm »

Usually if the siege occurs in the 3rd year (depending on your progress) it's probably not a big siege.  The first few sieges can have only a few groups.  Later sieges can have 100+ goblins mounted on monsters with multiple groups of ogres or trolls.  I think in those situations your fort would not have survived.  How many goblins were there at the siege?
OVER NINE THOUSAND jaberers would have killed them.  :P

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:48 pm »

Goblin count: somewhere around 20. I guess I was wrong about the goblin deaths: most of them must have run off the screen. There are only a few dead goblins on the unit list. There was also one giant cave swallow.

Honestly, the snatchers have been more of a problem in this fort. About five came at the same time once. I've lost one child, three cats, and a dog to those guys.

How soon should it be to the next siege? Magma is too much work, so I might just abandon the fort. Actually, I could easily re-unleash the HFS. Only one wall's in the way.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:49:56 pm »

Goblin count: somewhere around 20. I guess I was wrong about the goblin deaths: most of them must have run off the screen. There are only a few dead goblins on the unit list. There was also one giant cave swallow.

Honestly, the snatchers have been more of a problem in this fort. About five came at the same time once. I've lost one child, three cats, and a dog to those guys.

How soon should it be to the next siege? Magma is too much work, so I might just abandon the fort. Actually, I could easily re-unleash the HFS. Only one wall's in the way.
MAGMA IS NEVER TOO MUCH WORK. YOU MUST BE PURGED!

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »

One word: traps.
Blargh.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:34:13 pm »

This fortress... will not die.

I started immediate tantrums by collapsing the main hall on a few people. My medical dwarf was the first to start, and he somehow had an axe. After that, I notice dark gnomes running in through my gates. To top it off, a few minutes later, a forgotten beast made of salt arrives in the caves. Death assured, right?

The tantrums have continued, off and on. The medical dwarf has killed a couple of dwarves. The dark gnomes ran away as soon as they saw any dwarves. The forgotten beast slowly worked its way up to my fortress. It went down the hall, fought a dog, and then was punched by a random dwarf; half of its body was gone in one blow.

I am really disappointed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

"Salt" refers to "table salt" not "slabs of dried stone in the desert".  So that was expected.

I would say to use this.  You have an immortal fort, make it grand!  But, as soon as you try to make it live, it will die.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

"Salt" refers to "table salt" not "slabs of dried stone in the desert".  So that was expected.

Actually I do think it is more like rock salt. A salt FB would be better made of giant NaCl crystals rather than just powdered salt.

But yeah, most crystalline FB's suck.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 04:12:39 pm »

I'm just letting the fortress run right now. A third of the population has already died. The only production I'm keeping open is coffins. (I'd keep making booze, but nothing is getting done with the farms.) The fortress will either slowly die or survive with some very death-hardened dwarves remaining.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 04:15:59 pm »

There was also one giant cave swallow.

That explains why the siege squad didn't march into your fortress - mounted siegers use the mount's pathfinding to determine where to go, and flying siege mounts are content to hang around in mid-air forever. It's a shame you didn't get an amphibious mount - those ones tend to jump into water and drown their riders.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 04:46:55 pm »

TWO AMBUSHES LATER it's down to seven dwarves. I've given up trying to bury the dead; half of the remaining are suffering from leg/foot wounds. I honestly don't know if the fortress can live on. It's survived a siege, a forgotten beast, a severe tantrum spiral, and two heavy ambushes (not to mention the birdsplosion and dark gnomes. Those have their own topics). The future shall be interesting.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 05:08:19 pm »

Another siege, fully mounted and on the move, arrived, but too late. The remaining dwarves went insane and murdered each other. A brewer, designated chief medical dwarf, rehabilitated two wounded dwarves, giving them crutches. One of them came back to kill her in her sleep. Two more went berserk and slaughtered two of the three remaining. Crundles did the other in.

So ends the tale of Lulledflags.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:35 pm »

There was also one giant cave swallow.

That explains why the siege squad didn't march into your fortress - mounted siegers use the mount's pathfinding to determine where to go, and flying siege mounts are content to hang around in mid-air forever. It's a shame you didn't get an amphibious mount - those ones tend to jump into water and drown their riders.

are voracious cave crawlers amphibious?

i had a siege a few fort backs, where one of the guys came on one, and my dwarf, being, a dwarf, dodged a goblin riding one of those, into one of the various ponds near my fort...and the thing followed him in...and all 3 of them ended up drowning >.>
Pages: [1] 2