Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Charskulls, Turkey Bone Warhammer. More awesome then you think!  (Read 3286 times)

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"This is a turkey bone war hammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with turkey bone and menaces with spikes of turkey bone.

Pretty lame, I bet you're thinking. But its not the description that makes this artifact so amazing, its how it was made...

I decided to embark on a glacier. Now, Im not a pro at DF, and I usually farm above ground; so this time, I had to farm below ground. Well, I put off irrigation for a while, because I came with large food stocks. I thought it wouldn't be a problem for a while.

Boy, was I stupid.

A immigration wave came flooding in like a boatmurdered tidal wave, consuming all my food like rats. Starvation came out; I rushed to set up a way to irrigate underground, but by time I was flooding an area, it was too late; the entire fortress was begining to tantrum, and hunt for vermin. I already butchered my turkey hens, it was the last acutal meal many had. I could only wait till the next immigration wave. I watched as a childs parents died before he did; a bit of tears shed for the virtual boy.

Then, something happened.

A fey mood struck the child, not too much later. He claimed a craftsdwarfs Shop. the only thing that occured to me was I was going to get some crappy amulet or something. I was wrong. The child churned out an artifact weapon, made completely of turkey bone; the last food anyone had had; a sort of unwritten memorial to the day the fortress starved. It took a while for me to realize how awesome this was, I was merely thinking "Wow, what a crappy artifact". But its meaning, its legacy, so deep with so few words.

Unfortunately, the child died... But his little hands have crafted what will protect many generations ahead. He watches over the wielder of Charskulls, and with that, the entire Fortress.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Charskulls, Turkey Bone Warhammer. More awesome then you think!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »

Make a tomb for him (Just put a coffin in a room, and forbid all corpses until he's in there), and put the hammer in there with him. If you want to use it, use it.

But remember to put the hammer in there for when your fortress is falling. Seal the tomb so no goblins take it  ;D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:42:53 pm »

Now watch as the bone hammer is deflected by the -troll leather hat-

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:46:41 pm »

Now watch as the bone hammer is deflected by the -troll leather hat-
You obviously haven't applied enough magma.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:52:12 pm »

Absurdly ineffective weapons are never completely useless. Give it to your sheriff/captain of the guard if it doesn't kill anything. Enjoy the beating.  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:57:05 pm »

wouldn't it be extremely effective seeing as its an ARTIFACT weapon? Doesn't it get like a 100x damage modifer?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 01:07:22 pm »

Nope, it does get a bonus but it's not THAT good. Artifact weapons made from rubbish materials are still pretty rubbish.

I've never seen a chiled make weapons before though, normally they only make crafts because they don't have any other skills. So congratulations on that, at least.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:20 pm »

A reminder for the future: if you dig down to the caverns, there will be no need to irrigate - all you need to do is place your farm plots and start planting. You can even gather some cave shrubs while you wait for the harvest - the purple ones bear plump helmets to provide immediate nourishment to your workers, while the red/white/gray* ones will give your brewers something to work with.

(* some gray shrubs bear brewable pig tails, while others yield quarry bushes that have to be further processed before they will be of any use)
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »

Artifact weapons get like a 3x to-hit modifier.  So, they're more accurate.  Unfortunately, an accurate BB gun is still far from lethal, when you could give someone a proper rifle.

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »

how could you run out of food when you had turkeys? they churn out eggs like crazy... a few turkeys can feed a whole fortress, you only have to stonecraft some nextboxes and then cook the eggs. Booze is another matter though :( is it possible to get a fortress running only by them drinking mead and water? no farming at all would be pretty cool.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 03:20:38 pm »

Not a large fort.  Mead isn't produced quickly enough.  And a glacier doesn't have water.  If it did, irrigation would be easy.

Also, next time you embark on a glacier (and you know you will) turn max pop to 0 in the d_init.  You get two waves of migrants, and no more, totaling 15-16 dwarves after migrants.  At that number, food isn't such a big concern, and you won't have to worry about feeding and housing 200 dwarves as the default pop cap is.  A glacier fort will never survive that sort of migration without SERIOUS effort.  A well-established glacier can, but not a new one.

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 05:03:02 pm »

Artifact weapons get like a 3x to-hit modifier.  So, they're more accurate.  Unfortunately, an accurate BB gun is still far from lethal, when you could give someone a proper rifle.

then you miss thong on head, have never played fallout...

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:19 pm »

This is what I think makes Dwarf Fortress so good. Even when things look their worst, an excellent story or event pops up and makes you want to save this little tale from its end.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »

Not a large fort.  Mead isn't produced quickly enough.  And a glacier doesn't have water.  If it did, irrigation would be easy.

Also, next time you embark on a glacier (and you know you will) turn max pop to 0 in the d_init.  You get two waves of migrants, and no more, totaling 15-16 dwarves after migrants.  At that number, food isn't such a big concern, and you won't have to worry about feeding and housing 200 dwarves as the default pop cap is.  A glacier fort will never survive that sort of migration without SERIOUS effort.  A well-established glacier can, but not a new one.

But it isn't as FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 06:34:04 pm »

I like my Fun balanced.  200 dwarf rush into an area with zero natural resource, is not fun.  That's just death on a delay.  30 dwarf rush on your one overworked hen, laying eggs as fast as it can, is more of a challenge.
Pages: [1] 2