Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eugenic Reality  (Read 2399 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenic Reality
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2011, 09:52:22 am »

hair length is certainly a racial trait.  look at different dog breeds.  moreover though, i think those files also abstractly represent cultural preferences.  The difficulty youre going to have with what you are trying to do, is that those same percentages will be applied to pesants and soldiers alike.  you might have different trends as far as how strong the population is, but there is no selection process going on.  the stronger ones wont become soldiers instead of cheesemakers, and the weaker ones wont be eaten by their betters, or whatever is supposed to happen there.

maybe some of those weaker ones will be weeded out through conflict and frequent beast attacks or something, but it seems unlikely unless you also drastically increase cave frequencies or something.  unfortuneatly, i dont think the eugenic mechanisms work in world gen.  I think you can only breed for traits during actual fortress gameplay, and the rest is just random generation.  Otherwise I think we would be seeing much less natural variance.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:56:54 am by puke »
Pages: 1 [2]