Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eugenic Reality  (Read 2398 times)

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eugenic Reality
« on: May 03, 2011, 11:37:15 am »

It seems odd that a world as dangerous as Dwarf Fortress would have so many critters who are just so completely impotent, that is, most critters start off with such horrible stats like borderline retardation(extremely low linguistic, analytical, social ability, memory, intuition, etc.) and physical disabilities(extremely low strength, agility, etc.). I would wish to make Dwarf Fortress more in line with our reality where, considering the heroics of various DF civs, the populace of those civs would be much more formidable to start off with. So, I've already edited my creature_standard and just as one example I have boosted(I think) Dwarven strength, [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:0:1000:1100:1200:1600:2500:5000]. Now, with these numbers, I am assuming it means that all Dwarves have a chance to be profusely weak, but due to the large jump towards the median, most Dwarves will be genned with average strength and a smaller few will be proper heroes from the start(1600-2500) and even less will be natural-born demigods(5000). Considering the 1000 gap between the lowest to lower range and the 2500 gap between the higher and highest range, there should be more impotent Dwarves than the demigod born Dwarves. Correct me if I am mistaken about how these numbers work.

[Edit] Oh, one more thing. How do I get my Dwarves to have a set of features that are only possible, such as only brown or black hair for my Dwarves?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 11:45:06 am by TooBad »

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Eugenic Reality
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »

[Edit] Oh, one more thing. How do I get my Dwarves to have a set of features that are only possible, such as only brown or black hair for my Dwarves?

You go into the creature_standard file and look for the following under the dwarf entry:

Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:HAIR]
[PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:CHEEK_WHISKERS]
[PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:CHIN_WHISKERS]
[PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:MOUSTACHE]
[PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:SIDEBURNS]
[PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYEBROW]
[PLUS_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYELASH]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:AMBER:1:AUBURN:1:BLACK:1:BROWN:1:BUFF:1:BURNT_SIENNA:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CHARCOAL:1:CHESTNUT:1:CHOCOLATE:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_CHESTNUT:1:DARK_TAN:1:ECRU:1:FLAX:1:GOLD:1:GOLDEN_YELLOW:1:GOLDENROD:1:LIGHT_BROWN:1:MAHOGANY:1:OCHRE:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PUMPKIN:1:RAW_UMBER:1:RUSSET:1:SAFFRON:1:SEPIA:1:TAN:1:TAUPE_DARK:1:TAUPE_GRAY:1:TAUPE_MEDIUM:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]

thus if you only wanted black and brown... the line starting [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER becomes:

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1:BROWN:1]
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:06:48 am »

Correct me if I am mistaken about how these numbers work.

No corrections? I must be on the right track then.

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:26:28 am »

No corrections? I must be on the right track then.

I put some information on this on the wiki a while back. Basically,

[PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:0:1000:1100:1200:1600:2500:5000]

means a sixth of your dwarves will be between 0 and 1000, a sixth between 1000 and 1100, etc. And each sixth is distributed evenly within that range. So your mean strength at that setting is 1650, while the mean normally is 1266.66... but in a much smaller band.
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 03:22:39 am »

TooBad, check out the NATURAL_SKILL things I've put to the Genesis mod's animals and beasts.
And TOUGHSTANDARD_MATERIALS making stronger skin,leather,bones,muscles,tendons for tough cave creatures.

I too have been dissatisfied with Toady's SPEED and TRAPAVOID choices on animals. (really, 20-ton dragon in a wooden cage. Toady knew this and made ALL procedurally generated FBs TrapAvoid.)

For example Dread Troll:
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:4]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:3]
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:4]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:6]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:4] ok kick
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:2]
[NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:5]
Polar bear:
[NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:8]
[NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:4]
[NATURAL_SKILL:WRESTLING:6]
[NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:1]
[NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:7]
[NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:4]
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:26:00 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 05:14:06 pm »

Thanks for the information guys. My Dwarves are being steadily galvanized in adamantium.

Now, I have noticed that Dwarves can have some scary personality contradictions making them seem schizophrenic, so I have also gone ahead and tweaked their minds. How do the numbers for the personalities work? Is it then half of my Dwarves are, assuming default, 0-50 and the other half is 50-100?

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »

Now, I have noticed that Dwarves can have some scary personality contradictions making them seem schizophrenic, so I have also gone ahead and tweaked their minds. How do the numbers for the personalities work? Is it then half of my Dwarves are, assuming default, 0-50 and the other half is 50-100?

You know, there are thirty traitsperdorf and you get a verbal evaluation on maybe ten tpd, often fewer but I like round numbers, meaning about twenty tpd are between 40-60. In other words, attrs are six straight lines but traits are... not two straight lines. It's been in the back of my mind to graph out the 27 tpd that normally have the default range, but neither Runesmith nor Dwarf Therapist really give me the tools for that project the same way Runesmith does with attributes.

Luckily for DGC's purposes it doesn't matter, whenever a trait forbids or allows a skill, it seems to do so on the same value as a verbal evaluation change.

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 10:50:10 pm »

Well, that's really neat, but do the personality tags work similarly to attribute tags, where the attributes affected a sixth of your Dwarven population according to number(0:0:0:0:0:0:0) and personalities seem to be half of the population(0:0:0)?

I would also appreciate any help on a problem I seem to be having with Dwarven appearance. These are the hair and skin color options for my Dwarves:

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:AUBURN:1:BROWN:1:BURNT_SIENNA:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CHESTNUT:1:CHOCOLATE:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_CHESTNUT:1:LIGHT_BROWN:1:MAHOGANY:1:OCHRE:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PUMPKIN:1:RAW_UMBER:1:RUSSET:1:SEPIA:1:TAUPE_DARK:1:TAUPE_MEDIUM:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:DARK_PEACH:1:PALE_PINK:1:PEACH:1:PINK:1]

yet, when I tested an embark to see my Dwarves' appearances, I had some Dwarves with black hair and all had tan skin. More about hair, let's take the curly type as an example: [TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:CURLY:0:70:90:100:110:130:200], do the numbers merely change the length of hair a Dwarf starts with, and if all numbers are set to zero, will no Dwarf have curly hair? If not, how do I make it so?

Finally I need help to change the ranges of facial features, nose shape, chin shape, head size, etc. Where do I even find these in creature standard, or are the ranges for the facial possibilities at default, thus they are not stated in the file and if so what are those tokens I need to change to get only a set of certain facial features?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 11:50:52 pm by TooBad »

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 12:20:51 am »

Well, that's really neat, but do the personality tags work similarly to attribute tags, where the attributes affected a sixth of your Dwarven population according to number(0:0:0:0:0:0:0) and personalities seem to be half of the population(0:0:0)?

Oh. Uh, short answer, almost certainly "yes". But I haven't done the original research to prove it, and I'm very nearly certain that any analogy between attributes and traits is misleading.

You know, if I gen a world at 0:19:39 for one trait... hrm.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 12:48:23 am »

More about hair, let's take the curly type as an example: [TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:CURLY:0:70:90:100:110:130:200], do the numbers merely change the length of hair a Dwarf starts with, and if all numbers are set to zero, will no Dwarf have curly hair? If not, how do I make it so?

Finally I need help to change the ranges of facial features, nose shape, chin shape, head size, etc. Where do I even find these in creature standard, or are the ranges for the facial possibilities at default, thus they are not stated in the file and if so what are those tokens I need to change to get only a set of certain facial features?

If you don't want curly hair at all (using you example) you would remove the entire line. How's is the distribution? Dunno. I would suspect flat and level values randomly selected between (greasy having the same chance as curly to be chosen by the 'random' chooser).

The Numbers do link to amount of the appearance modifier. All zeros might lead to the curly option being synonymous with say perfectly straight. Or at least not being a valued descriptor "Urist has completely uncurly hair" Is that because he's bald? Has straight hair? A Mohawk?

Lessee, Curly 100% means curly. 125% would be some variant of "very curly" or "extremely curly"

As for the appearance bits... after "   These body modifiers give individual dwarves different characteristics." and before MAXAGE.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_tokens
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 01:23:50 am »

You know, if I gen a world at 0:19:39 for one trait... hrm.

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:AUBURN:1:BROWN:1:BURNT_SIENNA:1:BURNT_UMBER:1:CHESTNUT:1:CHOCOLATE:1:CINNAMON:1:COPPER:1:DARK_BROWN:1:DARK_CHESTNUT:1:LIGHT_BROWN:1:MAHOGANY:1:OCHRE:1:PALE_BROWN:1:PALE_CHESTNUT:1:PUMPKIN:1:RAW_UMBER:1:RUSSET:1:SEPIA:1:TAUPE_DARK:1:TAUPE_MEDIUM:1:TAUPE_PALE:1:TAUPE_SANDY:1]

[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:DARK_PEACH:1:PALE_PINK:1:PEACH:1:PINK:1]

These are my hair color and skin color choices respectively. I should not get any Dwarves with black hair or tan skin, yet they appeared in embark. Those pieces of code are in the exact spot they should be, so what typo error may I have done wrong within those codes?

More malfunctions, [PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION:0:24:50], yet I have a Dwarf who is at least 61, often feels discouraged, and attribute malfunctions, [MENT_ATT_RANGE:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:950:1100:1250:1499:1749:1999:2300], yet I have a Dwarf with meager kinesthetic sense, at least 750 or lower. There seem to be some other traits/attributes that are not following my code. I have only modified the numbers within these ranges, nothing more added or deleted from other parts of creature standard.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:37:49 am by TooBad »

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 01:48:37 am »

Utilities like Runesmith and Dwarf Therapist can give you exact values for some of these things. Might help a bit with troubleshooting.

For attributes, I'm not 100% certain, but I feel like the descriptors ("unbelievably strong" vs "unfathomably weak" etc) are based on the ranges you set. If your strength numbers are 1:2:3:4:5:6:7, a dwarf with a strength of 7 would be reported as unbelievably strong because compared to other dwarves, he is. Compared to a dragon of course, he's quite weak. The wiki notes this at the top about attributes:
The attribute values given in the tables correspond to default racial averages for dwarves only. Modded dwarves or any other creature will report the same phrases, but the underlying numbers may be very different.

As far as dwarves showing up with incorrect hair/skin colors, just to be sure, you modified the default raws and then generated an entirely new world before embarking on that new world, correct? You're not modifying a specific save's raws instead of the default by accident (I've been guilty of this...)?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:54:22 am by Kweri »

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:12 am »

Utilities like Runesmith and Dwarf Therapist can give you exact values for some of these things. Might help a bit with troubleshooting.

As far as dwarves showing up with incorrect hair/skin colors, just to be sure, you modified the default raws and then generated an entirely new world before embarking on that new world, correct? You're not modifying a specific save's raws instead of the default by accident (I've been guilty of this...)?

Aw, man. I realized in a pocket world it all works. I am going to have to lose a wonderful world.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 01:55:43 am »

Edited my post above about attribute ranges and descriptions while you were responding, it seems! Don't want you to miss it because no new posts were reported.

TooBad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 02:32:02 am »

Well, after some short thought, I've decided to just delete all appearance modifiers besides facial and head hair lengths and colors and skin colors. They are simplest to get right and hair length is certainly not a racial trait, and the imagination is a large portion of the game of DF. So, leaving my mind to do what the game cannot describe works just fine.Thanks to all you dudes for the help. My Dwarves now have the fervor of a Roman warrior to strike the earth and beyond.
Pages: [1] 2