Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thoughts/things you've done/had that seemed abnormally cruel?  (Read 3533 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts/things you've done/had that seemed abnormally cruel?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 09:26:08 pm »

Mermaid Farming has all of this topped.

*waits for Sphalerite to claim his prize*

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 12:56:38 am »

Pretty much everything we do, ever.
Seriously, though, the most evil thing I ever did was build a 10z tower to throw prisoners off of. Most, if not all, will die from the fall. The few survivors will be pelted with bolts. Any survivors of THAT are brutally assaulted in hand-to-hand combat. With blunt sticks.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 01:02:43 am »

Crossposting for suggestions:

Something I'd thought of for a generation capsule fort I'd been working on in theory was to just have multiple layers, the starting seven start on the lowest, most well equipped layer, and each wave of immigrants has to slowly percolate downward, ensuring that only useful dwarves are introduced into the main population. males and Females would have separate quarters to prevent marriage and babies, and the doors to the next lowest level only unlock every 5 years. That's enough time to conventionally train them as a militia, or to get them to a useful specialization at a respectable level, ensuring the lowest areas are lavishly furnished. I need to think of a good way to thin the herd though, cull the weak and only allow the strong to survive. Once they get to the middle (of three) areas I can't think of a way to do so nicely, aside from just looking for all the weak and stupid ones who survived the first level and changing their burrow to the magma chamber.

Eugenics,  Needless Cruelty, Class Struggle, Sounds dwarfy to me.

Any ideas for what I should implement in it?

So apparently my fortress design became a dystopian Empire at some point.

I plan to Have the doors connect to the pitfall Embarkation Zone from the first level to the second and have each level below the first staffed with A top notch Medicae. Any who die of infection or injury are buried in a minimalistic fashion. Those who survive are left in the care of the medicae until they heal enough to resume work and hone their skills further, possibly picking up a second trade. Once any who remain weak, stupid, or sickly have been Welcomed into the Death Trap Rehabilitation Center  The 5-year clock will chime and the newly minted Citizens shall gain entry into the fortress.

Screening will not stop there, however, they will be constantly monitored, and those who create civil unrest or cannot get along will be Rehabilitated. Citizen-Helpers who mandate idiotic things will be Dealt With. Naturally the populace will be Happy, and all children will Perfect, Always.

Anything else I can inflict on these Hopeless Productive citizens?

Does this count?
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 01:57:48 am »

Mermaid farming?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 02:09:24 am »

Mermaid farming?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25967.0 That.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 02:12:02 am »

My most cruel thing I probably did was kill every migrant that came to my fort.

Sometimes by impaling, other times by burning.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:35 am »

Hmm, apparently Sphalerite didn't do the mermaid farm, but DID do the sea serpent farm.  Either way, the entire 25 page Mermaid Farming thread should be required reading for every player.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 04:31:57 pm »

Hmm, apparently Sphalerite didn't do the mermaid farm, but DID do the sea serpent farm.  Either way, the entire 25 page Mermaid Farming thread should be required reading for every player.
Agreed.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:55:31 pm »

Agreed.
As should the whole story of Boatmurdered, obviously.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »

My last big fort, Largebusts, started having FPS/user boredom issues, so I set up a dump zpone under a drawbridge and set the lever to repeat.

when the hoped for spiral o doom didn't occur, I abandoned the fort.  But normally, I am nice to my dwarves and critters.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 10:34:27 pm »

The only really cruel thing I did in any of my forts was in my last successful one.  I built a 10z level tower, put spikes at the base, dropped prisoners/things I didn't like off the top down onto the spikes.  The top of the tower was also a bridge I used to catapult dwarves I didn't like and watch them splatter across the map.  It saw frequent use.

I also chuckled maliciously everytime I saw something get impaled or tossed.

Well either that or my "Trial by Fire" I put every useless migrant to by throwing them into the military and have them try to kill cave critters with their bare hands.  If the critter died, free food, if the migrant died, free socks.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 10:35:53 pm »

Sadly, the last wall to be built left a poor peasant trapped in the 1x1 pump outlet, and by the time I noticed, the pump was already activated.  He was Happy, as he was starving, dehydrated, slept in the mud, and soothed by a pleasing waterfall, but never actually drowned.  He died of dehydration a few weeks later, and his ghost hangs out at the aqueduct.

This made an image of the Great Wall of China come to mind, for some reason.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007
Pages: 1 [2]