Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts/things you've done/had that seemed abnormally cruel?  (Read 3542 times)

dmurray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just thinking to myself, about a week after I learned of this game (about a month now); my first question after learning that in adventure mode of how to gouge one's eyes out was the following (albiet slightly paraphrased):
Is there a way to purposely harm your own dwarves in Fortress Mode, I don't just mean like letting them fall or get crushed or something; but I mean to choose what injuries to inflict on them. I was thinking something like having an area designated for some casual dwarven experiments, like seeing how many fingers I can chop off untill the dwarf is unable to hold something.

In the end, I was not happy. I was unable to fully complete my "lay here, the other dwarves will be in to massacre you slowly" experiment for science.

So, what moments have you had that made you think something like "I really am glad this is just a game"?

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts/things you've done/had that seemed abnormally cruel?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:49:14 am »

When I laughed hard enough to wake my parents when a mangled goblin crawled for his life from the maw of my fortress.

Wondering how to safely get swords made out of my greatest warrior's obsidianised bodies (I still wonder how to do that).

Other stuff, most likely. Just really tired, didn't sleep last night.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:53:44 am »

the cat genocide.

i even PROMISED to myself i wouldnt go into that when i first started, and then the catsplosion started.

In the end, i had a room with spear traps i would throw the kittens in

thats a "thank god its a game, and an ASCII one as well!"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:01:53 am »

DF: Where is your god now?

My cruelest/kindest (not sure how my dwarves would take it) act was creating a device to annually flood my hospital with magma. I took enough precautions that the only things I needed to replace after the cleansing were beds (besides, who would use a bed covered in pus and forgotten beast blood?) and the cripples with constant pain and necrosis were no longer my problem.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:13:22 am »

Deliberately pulling the lever to pour a volcano down the central stairs and destroy the last twenty dorfs left alive in the entire world.
Systematically butchering every last non-pet non-dog in the fortress.
Cheerily forcing goblins to hurl themselves off a bridge, fifty z-levels down, onto steel spikes, and measuring how badly each one gibbed.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:17:32 am »

If we have the ability to controllably hurt our own dwarves, some of us would try to make them better...

- fat melted off for speed and, strangely, heat resistance
- sensory nerves damaged for immunity to pain
- most of the face removed (non-essential, can't be properly protected, causes avoidable blood loss in combat)
- eyes only for those who need them

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:23 am »

- most of the face removed (non-essential, can't be properly protected, causes avoidable blood loss in combat)
You'd better not hurt the beard.  >:(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:49:02 am »

I was building an aqueduct, and this involved a short 2 high pumpstack at the river with a windmill atop it.  The ground level pump had walls around it to make a 1x1 area to catch the water that the one above it would take.  Sadly, the last wall to be built left a poor peasant trapped in the 1x1 pump outlet, and by the time I noticed, the pump was already activated.  He was Happy, as he was starving, dehydrated, slept in the mud, and soothed by a pleasing waterfall, but never actually drowned.  He died of dehydration a few weeks later, and his ghost hangs out at the aqueduct.

I'm usually pretty easy on my dwarves, except for the few times I'll try and jar them out of the hospital forcefully.  I did try the Elf Tree though.  That is, a semi-megaproject of a tree, made entirely from wood, with caged elves hanging off it as the fruit and berries.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:45 pm »

Enrolling useless migrants into doomed squads, stationing them on the catapult bridge on top of my execution tower, and crushing those who weren't sent to the hospital/dead underneath it.
Did it twice, then I abandoned the project. Felt even worse when I noticed one of these enrollee had the time to get a spouse. :(
Today, when I really feel the need to decrease the demographics, I only make suicidal squads: unexperienced dorfs with whatever unused armor/weapons they can get their small, hairy hands on; then sending them towards whatever huge menace when I need to buy time. This way, they have a chance to stay alive and even fare well if no such menace shows up, or if they turn out to have hidden talents.

Now, I got no pity for goblin forces, as they routinely use mass destruction weapons (whips) and dare bring demonic leaders with the worst possible syndromes along. As for the wildlife... fuck, only some species of vermins don't actively want me dead. I will chase llamas around the map with recruits and air Benny Hill's theme song along if I need to. But I feel uneasy killing off dwarfs for the sole reason they exist. I wait until they give me a reason to do so to punish them in a disproportionately manner. Oh, nobles.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »

Build a fort with the intent to get as big a body count as possible. The starting seven were the starting three and a half (annoying cripple). Ghosts littered the fortress, so I did what any sociopathic dwarf would do. I built a dining hall in the most homicidal ghost concentrated areas and also occasionally used it as a prisoner staging area. I reached a body count of about 50(dwarves, prisoners not counted) with around 5 living before I got bored and attempted to drown/starve them. It took years, those filthy bums.
All the homeless children were used as bait for the FBs, and the growing insane asylum/colloseum.
I'm glad I wasn't in there with them.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »

This mornin' I was locking my 10-dwarf melee squad in a danger room. I then see one of my soldiers is a mother, and she has three babies on her (I removed MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE from the dwarf raw).

I sigh, think "why the hell must one of the exposed dwarves must have babies" and then "oh well. it'll strengthen her"

And ordered the lever to be pulled on repeat.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »

I only recruit mothers into my fortress military.

Those babies can be a great meatshield.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 06:18:44 pm »

I only recruit mothers into my fortress military.

Those babies can be a great meatshield.
I think that should be in "Your most dwarven defenses".

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »

I have the floor my 12+ z-level death pit in my dining room - for entertainment, deadening dwarf emotions to prevent tantrums down the line (especially with pets during 'splosion) and as my butcher/kitchen adjoins the dining hall, less animal hauling :D
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 09:06:53 pm »

I made a 10+ level dodge trap just so I could harvest the splattered organs and bones of invaders.
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: [1] 2