Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Nameless Adventure (DF-style ASCII illustrations)  (Read 2465 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
The Nameless Adventure (DF-style ASCII illustrations)
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:15 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Male Voice) "Oh... hey, it's you again. How are you? I'm fine. It's been a while since we've talked, why don't we catch up?"

A young man lays soundly asleep in a bed in a grey, sterile room. A meager glance of the area reveals some chairs, a table, and some kind of containers. Everything but the bed appears to be made metal. On the Northern wall is a small displacement that could appear to be a door of some kind. On each side of the bed is a counter, with some possible personal belongings on them.

Rays of light pour from a luminous sphere on the ceiling and onto the man's crisp brown hair. The sheets of the bed are entangled and rough, and there is no pillow. You can hear the sound of something or some things banging on metal from a muffled distance.

"Clang-clong-clang-clong-cling!"

What should this man do?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:40:37 pm by Duelmaster409 »
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: The Nameless Adventure (DF-style ASCII illustrations)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:39:38 pm »

Get up from the bed, and check his pockets.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:04 pm »

This man cannot currently get up from the bed, let alone check his pockets, because he is unconscious.

Your view of the room begins to mysteriously fade to white.

(Male Voice) "*yawn*... How... How long are we going to stay on this road?"
(Female Voice) "Ten miles until the next intersection. This baby don't go offroad..."

Your name is Kayle Veiagon, and now's not a really good time. You need to concentrate on the road, even though there's no traffic and probably has not been for decades. You're in the dead middle of nowhere in the main continent, and you need to regroup with Delta squad ASAP before 7:00 PM falls and the crawlers wake up for the daily feast. You don't want to be anywhere near here when the time comes, not unless you want to be on the menu.

There are three people in the car with you, and you don't know their names. How could you, you just saved them like a total badass from imminent doom back there at the gas station? You can't get enough of how much of a badass you are. It's part of your job to be a badass on a daily basis.

... You just noticed... You have waay too little gas. This could be a problem; there's not enough gas to get to the regroup point. The gas station back 6 miles could probably have some leftover gas, but if it doesn't, you'd be stranded. You also don't know if you could even make it there before the gas ran out. What now?

Marklar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 02:15:50 pm »

Drive as close to the regroup point as you can, then RUN FOR IT!
I sense a political conspiracy...Rewriting the story of leader's demise at the hand of goblins to treacherous regicide by fellow dwarfs: "et tu, Urist?"

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 02:28:24 pm »

Pull over!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 04:06:58 pm »

Obey Traffic laws and stop driving in the middle of the road
It's FEF, not FEOF

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:36:35 pm »

Drive as close to the regroup point as you can, then RUN FOR IT!
Obey Traffic laws and stop driving in the middle of the road

These.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:23:28 pm »

Wow, hey, you're driving on the middle of the road! Let's be reasonable here!

There, that's better.

(Male Voice #1) "I heard these parts were haunted once."
(Male Voice #2) "Haha, yeah, me too! Y'know, I heard that one time, some migrants passed by here and got torn to shreds by some mysterious monster. Hehe."

You decide to keep going. If you get to the regroup point fast enough before the gas is all gone you should be close enough to get there by foot.

Further along the road, you spot some bodies. One of them is a crawler. The passengers are mostly unphased, they've probably seen tons of blood and gore in their days, much like you have. Your thoughts drift back to how badass you are again.

Pedal to the metal! If you're going with this plan you've got to go fast!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 06:31:34 pm »

Check what time it is.

Think about the past few weeks.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »

You take your eyes off the road to look at the surrounding landscape.

This is what you see from your West window. The sun is not going to be up there for very long. There are some rolling plains and very high mountains further off to the distance.

To kill some time, you decide to go reflect on how you got to this situation in the first place. Let's start from the top.

It was three years ago, the year 2008. This year will be engraved forever in history as the beginning of the global undoing. It was this year that the peoples of Earth were struck by a mass amnesia, which was followed by an age of mass hysteria and panic. To this day the remaining survivors don't know what caused this total amnesia. The events that followed the "Age of Panic", however, were far more horrifying than anyone would ever expect.

Monsters. The living dead. The walking tormentors. The eternal damned. There were many names for the atrocities that haunt the world today. Some call them zombies, whatever that means. Anyone not of this world would find it very difficult to understand the physical properties of these horrors. Some are fast, some are slow, some are enormous. The smartest of the survivors have determined there are various classes of these monsters. The most common were dubbed "crawlers" because of their slow movement. There are other classes much more dangerous, smarter, faster, stronger than crawlers. They are mercifully uncommon mutations of the generic monsters.

Fast-forwarding to the present, you banded together with a group of a couple-hundred survivors, working to survive. Your group has no name, but faraway settlements call you the "Tangos". Your job under this group is to pilot one of few available automobiles and search for unaffiliated survivors to absorb into the group.

So here you are, doing your job, trying to get these survivors back to the regroup point to be probably towed back to a safe location to stay for the night. Man, if you can't get back with the car the guys are gonna chew you out soooo bad!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:43:37 pm by Duelmaster409 »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:46:55 pm »

OK, keep going until you find a couple of corpses/a gas station. Search them for gas and such. Hey, maybe there might be something.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:29 am »

And ask for their names too.

powpow

• Bay Watcher
  • (UTC+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:46 pm »

what in the car? any weapons,tools maps of the surrounding area??

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 11:15:59 pm »

(Quick question, what program do you use to draw in ASCII?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:55:20 pm »

Haha, I had just typed up a really good update and I accidentally pressed refresh, and lost all the info. I guess I've learned my lesson!

Anyway, I use a game platform called BYOND to draw the ASCII. It's a bit involved, because I have to define the tiles manually, ie grass and whatnot. I ripped the ASCII from Dwarf Fortress and I'm just placing down tiles and taking screenshots.
Pages: [1] 2