Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Attack Passes Right Through! (??)  (Read 1711 times)

Hreidmar

• Bay Watcher
  • "Boom" goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
The Attack Passes Right Through! (??)
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:13:59 pm »

So apparently I picked up a gold coin from somewhere, but when I tried to brain a dismembered bandit with it it seems to have turned into thin air!

"You strike The Maceman in the head with your Anthath Gulgud Oxut Omsalmo gold coin, but the attack passes right through!"
"The Maceman has bled to death"

So, do I have a cursed spirit-coin or did I bitch-slap the poor guy's soul as it was exiting his body?

First post, btw :)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Attack Passes Right Through! (??)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:15:57 pm »

Did the maceman's head have any existing wounds in it? Or maybe it only hit him in the hair, or something equally silly. It might have to do, one way or another, with a gold coin being a very small object.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Hreidmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 09:25:20 pm »

Did the maceman's head have any existing wounds in it? Or maybe it only hit him in the hair, or something equally silly. It might have to do, one way or another, with a gold coin being a very small object.

No, actually. I scanned through the combat log and it seems his head was about the one thing I hadn't managed to main horribly yet. I'll try smacking some more bandits in various locations with the same coin and return with results.

Update: Yup. In dealing with lions, bandits, peasants, and all the other creatures I've run into, coins are either just sort of counted out in the calculations due to their size, or maybe Toady is making some subtle point about the impotence of wealth in the face of true crisis. Either way, it seems that those of us who look forward to beating human lords to death with their own money in the next update may be disappointed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:31:53 pm by Hreidmar »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:08:44 pm »

What happens if you try to attack body parts that can't have hair on them? Or if you attack body parts with or without clothes?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:37:25 pm »

Yup, coins aren't awesome super-stacked killing weapons anymore, if they ever were in the first place.

Use rocks instead, especially sharp ones.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Hreidmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:08:03 am »

What happens if you try to attack body parts that can't have hair on them? Or if you attack body parts with or without clothes?

Same deal, unfortunately. But they work pretty awesomely when you throw 'em, though.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:06:33 pm »

The "passes right through" message is the result of you attacking an enemy after it has already died. Usually it is impossible to actually initiate an attack against an opponent that is already dead, but sometimes you still can, and this is the result.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Tyius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:47:29 pm »

Can confirm same message on living enemies.  Coins just don't seem to hit people.
The murders are for their own good. I regret none of them. All were sound decisions made to balance the scales in favor of prosperity.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:29 am »

It means that the maceman was composed of neutrino- asubstance that has no matterial tags.  :P

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »

Can confirm same message on living enemies.  Coins just don't seem to hit people.
Indeed. I've tried throwing coins on several occasions, but they all passed through harmlessly. It's quite weird.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 09:43:10 am »

im assuming (as sort of posted earlier) that this is to stop the old tactic of minting stacks of 500 candy/steel coins and then using them like ninja stars in adventure mode
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 10:29:14 pm »

I highly doubt it's to stop it.  I don't think Toady would intentionally make coins completely ethereal.  It's probably a bug related to materiels and interacting with the code for coin creation, since those actually seem to be a special case(they are defined in entity definitions instead of item definitions where most everything not completely hardcoded is). 

They probably don't get their materiel applied properly and thus act like they don't exist.  My theory is that the civ lacks access to gold, silver, or copper or whatever the coin is made of. Still makes the coin since it is basically hardcoded to obey the entity raw, but chokes someplace around where it applies the materiel to the coin when it notices the civ doesn't actually have access to the materiel it needs.

The bleeding to death after was probably just a coincidence.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 10:53:51 pm »

It's more likely due to the coins not being large enough for them to measure one "unit" of thickness (the game rounds them to zero or something). The same effect can be (used to be? It might be fixed by now for creatures) witnessed if you take a tiny (vermin-size) creature and try to attack it - its tissues aren't thick enough for the game to consider them corporeal, so all attacks pass through (the same thing happens in the case of tissueless creatures).

Hreidmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2011, 07:27:11 am »

I highly doubt it's to stop it.  I don't think Toady would intentionally make coins completely ethereal.  It's probably a bug related to materiels and interacting with the code for coin creation, since those actually seem to be a special case(they are defined in entity definitions instead of item definitions where most everything not completely hardcoded is). 

They probably don't get their materiel applied properly and thus act like they don't exist.  My theory is that the civ lacks access to gold, silver, or copper or whatever the coin is made of. Still makes the coin since it is basically hardcoded to obey the entity raw, but chokes someplace around where it applies the materiel to the coin when it notices the civ doesn't actually have access to the materiel it needs.

The bleeding to death after was probably just a coincidence.

Yeah, the subsequent death was the result of his extremities all being lopped off. And if your theory is true, we should be able to find a civ who, having access to gold, mints coins which function like they did back in the good old days. But I rather think that the poster right above me is probably correct.

Slightly off topic, does anyone else think that we should be able to use sharp implements to shape coins into literal shurikens? Sort of like what we do with rocks?