Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18295 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2011, 08:27:21 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2011, 08:32:55 am »

Psn is only just now back online?!! Holy macaroni, I've been out of the loop for a while, but that's crazy.
So it's been down all this time from that hacking a while ago? Jeez.
...I haven't had my Ps3 in ages, so hopefully my details weren't at risk. :P At least it came up before I get my Ps3 set up again.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2011, 08:36:32 am »

Apparently it was pretty much rebuilt from scratch.  I only read that on a third party site, so I may be misinformed though.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2011, 09:08:11 am »

Apparently it was pretty much rebuilt from scratch.  I only read that on a third party site, so I may be misinformed though.
Are you joking? Can you imagine Sony employees flying around the globe, dismantling routers and servers and installing new ones? I can't :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2011, 09:13:23 am »

Them's dedicated, them Sony folks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2011, 09:17:46 am »

Are you joking? Can you imagine Sony employees flying around the globe, dismantling routers and servers and installing new ones? I can't :P.

I assumed it was referring to the software side of things...

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2011, 09:20:30 am »

It's been on for a while, and even before that you were able to access stuff like Netflix.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:28 am »

$1 billion?

Assuming the case is won and there are 102 million people whose names are attached the lawsuit, they'll each get... a little less than $10.

Woohoo.
Lawsuits aren't always about compensation - sometimes they're about showing that a company is wrong and sending messages to other companies that they can't do that.  For instance, in quite a lot of British cases the compensation is given straight to charity by the person suing.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2011, 11:14:37 am »

I assumed it was referring to the software side of things...

Yes they built an entirely new network at a different hosting location. They talked about it in the press release.

When it comes to wide scale compromises like that, it is the equivalent of "nuke it from orbit". It is the only way to be sure AND it is faster than hand fixing hundreds of machines.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2011, 02:08:15 pm »

Maybe this time they'll keep Apache updated.

Did you guys see the Welcome Back package? Thoughts?

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2011, 03:03:17 pm »

Well, they have contracted 3 security companies so far to work with them. I imagine their network will be more sane in the future and hopefully have a plan to deal with compromises.

It is funny too, because these companies exist for a reason. It is cheaper to hire them, than to have a month's worth of downtime and untold data loss. Why do these CEOs make millions of dollars in salary when they are not competent enough to analyze risk?

I still maintain they had it coming due to their treatment of customers, and will continue to get attacked. The very least, they should be boycotted. I mean, Microsoft is a shitty corporation but they don't hate you personally(they just hate their competition).

Nothing will ever change though. The difference between consumers and a toilet seat is that a toilet seat won't follow you around when you shit on it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:06:30 pm by devek »
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »

I still maintain they had it coming due to their treatment of customers, and will continue to get attacked.
That is bullshit. The hackers that did this don't care the least about Sony's customers, or else they wouldn't have stolen their credit card data...

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »

I still maintain they had it coming due to their treatment of customers, and will continue to get attacked.
That is bullshit. The hackers that did this don't care the least about Sony's customers, or else they wouldn't have stolen their credit card data...
He's quite right. He's not saying that the attack was something caused by Sony's recent asshattery. The hackers are, in this case, thieves, pure and simple. Customers aside, Sony itself definitely had it coming.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »

He's quite right. He's not saying that the attack was something caused by Sony's recent asshattery. The hackers are, in this case, thieves, pure and simple. Customers aside, Sony itself definitely had it coming.

Pretty much this. Although, reports put two groups at fault: Anonymous on its DDOS, which provided the cover for another group (so far unknown) to sneak in and wreck the place. I'd go so far to say that I support Anon for hitting a company in the balls and the wallet, but it did have some unforeseen consequences. It is nice to see that, when legal means fail, there is a way to still hurt a major asshat of a company like Sony.

Also, quietly laughing to myself that it will likely take at least until May 31st 'til they get their network fully functional again. I just want to see how long until it goes down again, and what they're going to offer to people to keep on the Sony bandwagon, rather than getting a 360, Wii, or even getting a gaming computer. This is probably a million dollars or more a day that they're losing, not to mention their consumer confidence (and the lack of interest by twelve year olds who want to scream into their mic while fragging someone in Call of Duty: Sequel 9) and a good portion of future business from publishers and developers.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2011, 06:35:15 pm »

The question is... Will they recover?
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15