Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18297 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2011, 06:00:19 am »

Wow Sony really got raped here. I'm just glad I don't use their services.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2011, 06:24:23 am »

Yeah. This makes me glad I use a PC first, and a 360 second, and don't use a PS3 at all.

Is every PS3 game disabled, or is it just multiplayer games? Are achievements disabled? I'm wondering how people who bought Portal 2 on the PS3 are feeling now. Well, they should have a free copy on the PC too, if they have a PC that can run it, so that's a silver lining for them at least.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2011, 07:18:18 am »

This kind of thing makes me glad that I stopped bothering with consoles after the PS2. Does XBox Live still charge a monthly fee? Did Playstation 3 start doing that as well?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 08:30:04 am »

From what I know of when I play MVC over at a friend's place, the games are still playable in singleplayer and in the case of the PSP the local peer2peer.  But online play is pretty much disabled universally.  In the case of MVC3 you have to go through half a dozen error messages to play, and achievements don't seem to work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 09:19:00 am »

Achievements work the same way they always did, when you're offline. If you leave the console disconnected from the network, all games work how you would expect.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 11:15:54 am »

One thing to remember is that this isn't just PSN that's down, this is SOE (all the Sony MMOs). So even PC users get shafted if they play Sony Online games.

Sony's response to this whole thing is memorable. I'm sure their fans will forget all about when they get their little pat on the head (free games and trials), but I won't, and I suspect quite a few others won't either.

Sony: first you hated us for rootkits, now we accidentally your personal data. Here's a free game!

Outdated version of Apache ... they don't even care.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2011, 11:30:20 am »

Sony: first you hated us for rootkits, now we accidentally your personal data. Here's a free game!
...Yet, despite being free, it was still the most expensive game you've ever bought.  :P

Outdated version of Apache ... they don't even care.
*headdesk*
They're using Apache... And they don't update it?
It wouldn't even cost them that much to update it. The damn thing's free, and would probably be a couple of hours work.
Compare that to the amount of money they're going to loose over this scandal. It's... Crazy.
How anyone can buy another Sony game, or console after this is just beyond me.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:51 am »

I'm not going to screw myself out of fun just to make a 'point' that won't change things one way or the other.
But if Sony doesn't change - and they're being very reluctant to do so - then you're effectively just handing them the entire contents of your bank account, for just one game.
Seriously, are a few measly games that important to you?
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2011, 12:05:04 pm »

Games: more important than my personal security or the security of my family. Amirite?

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2011, 12:13:26 pm »

As a longstanding but distanced customer of SOE products and services I wish only to declare-

-F***ing called it.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:16 pm »

Heeeeeeey kiiiids, guess what time it is?!

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/05/07/the-1-billion-class-action-lawsuit-against-sony/

$1 billion?

Assuming the case is won and there are 102 million people whose names are attached the lawsuit, they'll each get... a little less than $10.

Woohoo.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2011, 12:43:54 pm »

Games: more important than my personal security or the security of my family. Amirite?
Basically what I was going for.

First of all, just one game? I wouldn't buy a console for one game. That's just silly.
Think I misread something. Could've swore there was no plural.
Yeah, sorry for the confusing context, I meant that you'd be getting conned per game, so I used a singular the first time around.

Secondly, prepaid PSN cards. None of my personal info has to go anywhere near Sony for me to buy their online wares.

Thirdly, I don't have to buy anything online. Their online services/multiplayer are free, and majority of their games are sold in stores.

So yeah, not much to lose, and that's only if this happens again. I'm not saying it won't, just that
Fair enough I guess. But this isn't the first time something like this has happened, so I'm trying to actively advise people avoid them simply because from their track record, it's now only a matter of time.
In fact, I worry that they're just testing the waters to see how utterly negligent they can be before the law steps in.

Just remember, it may have been leaked credit card numbers this time, but it could be counterfeit PSN cards next time.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2011, 12:49:39 pm »

Just remember, it may have been leaked credit card numbers this time, but it could be counterfeit PSN cards next time.

in that case wouldn't the only one being badly harmed be Sony?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2011, 02:43:44 pm »

Heeeeeeey kiiiids, guess what time it is?!

http://www.mobilemag.com/2011/05/07/the-1-billion-class-action-lawsuit-against-sony/

$1 billion?

Assuming the case is won and there are 102 million people whose names are attached the lawsuit, they'll each get... a little less than $10.

Woohoo.
So? The lawyer company that filled it gets at least 100 million, assuming a very low 10% commission.

That's how america works. :P

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2011, 04:48:17 pm »

in that case wouldn't the only one being badly harmed be Sony?
Assuming that Sony uses a numeric or alpha numeric code and no holographic or optical stuff, then the only people to be harmed would be the ones to by cards only to take them home and find out someone else has already used it. The same thing happens alot on Steam, with Half-Life 1 copies.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15