Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18298 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2011, 01:03:52 pm »

Unless the CEO can make better decisions than the flip of a quarter they shouldn't be paid a dime.

A coin toss wouldn't be wrong about everything :/
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2011, 01:33:19 pm »

wait a moment here...

I could be mistaken, but AFAIK $9 million (roughly, stock included) is pretty tame.  Don't uproars about this sort of thing usually occur with numbers in the $50-150 million range?
To be fair, that happened before the whole debacle, so his salary wasn't really based on it.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2011, 01:34:17 pm »

Congrats Bay12ers, you now all have the chance to take part in not one, but two class-action lawsuits against Sony.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2011, 01:43:14 pm »

wait a moment here...
I could be mistaken, but AFAIK $9 million (roughly, stock included) is pretty tame.  Don't uproars about this sort of thing usually occur with numbers in the $50-150 million range?
Oh I know, I'm just saying, it's ridiculous that they should be paid at all with the way they're doing their jobs.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »

wait a moment here...
Oh I know, I'm just saying, it's ridiculous that they should be paid at all with the way they're doing their jobs.
That article was from june 2010. Their was absolutely no Sony problems then, so its not ridiculous at all (although the fact that CEO's can get like 10 million dollars a year is pretty rediculous on its own).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:18 pm »

wait a moment here...
That article was from june 2010. Their was absolutely no Sony problems then, so its not ridiculous at all (although the fact that CEO's can get like 10 million dollars a year is pretty rediculous on its own).
I know, I'm saying I'm worried about how they're going to be compensated this time, and the inevitable shitstorm that will follow. Sheesh, I should really start explaining my comments.  :P

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »

Let's also try to keep in mind that Sony is a multinational corporation with countless divisions beyond this games division.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 02:56:48 pm »

The movie industry, yeah. Given how many problems their games division has had overcoming the competition, it probably makes up far more of their income. Time to put some of that DVD money to work.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 03:01:15 pm »

and electronics, financial services, semiconductors, music, MOVIES(as you said) and gaming. This is an $80 billion company, so I would say the bonus was in line.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 03:39:20 pm »

My guess is this will shake out (make sure to read OBJECTION! On Gamespy when it's posted, it's actual legal analysis) is that the plaintiff will have to prove Sony's online and backup security measures were inadequate. If they can't prove that, I doubt a normal jury would find fault with Sony, especially if they can demonstrate they were the victim of a sophisticated attack. That current data was encrypted, and older data was not.....I don't know, I guess that will come down to someone testifying what the industry standard is for encrypting older user information and keeping it.

I could see Sony settling out of court quickly, especially when the service comes back online, the true extent of the damage is known and they're willing to make a token, but tangible, compensation to all PSN users. None of that "free subscription to some shit music service" crap.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »

I wonder if I will get a few free months to play planetside out of the deal?

I haven't played that game in forever. Wonder if anyone still does...
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 10:29:56 pm »

Password tip:
Always use different passwords. Even something that is quite simple like this example will stop automated bots that use passwords from hacked data.
Quote from: Password Tip
Example 1: sohcahtoabay
Use normal password but add first three letters of site name as a suffix.

Better Example: sohbaycahtoa
Break up password in middle with letters from site name
both are quite simple and go a long way to protecting your accounts without having to remember/save billions of passwords.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2011, 11:21:39 pm »

*Password tip*
That's a great tip. Honestly. I get lazy sometimes, but Sony has reminded me that laziness will cause me massive inconvenience if left unchecked.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2011, 09:22:07 pm »

Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2011, 02:08:06 am »

Only $1 billion? Go for the throat, men!

Also amusing: Sony website hacked to display partial user details (May 7). Sony pulls down website, but not before hackers pull down Sony's pants (again)!

And PSN still isn't up, not expected to be up this week after all.

Meanwhile, Sony fanboy hardliners continue unrelenting campaign of blind/deaf support, threaten violence to detractors.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15