Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18238 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 06:59:17 pm »

A contract is a really powerful tool, because as long it is not illegal...
Unfortunately this is often the case in EULA's.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 07:01:52 pm »

A contract is a really powerful tool, because as long it is not illegal...
Unfortunately this is often the case in EULA's.

Ilegality means being directly against or diverse regarding a law, in this case a federal one. This is debatable at best.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2011, 07:19:28 pm »

Checked my email and got a big long letter from sony talking about this recommending I put my credit on fraud alert, which seems to be a massive PITA full of red tape and bureaucracy.  Also Gmail claims someone had logged into my account from china, but the account itself still seems to be there, Seems I was still using my gmail password for other things back when I actually used that thing.  Herp Derp.  Password wasn't changed, info wasn't changed, and they can't get anything from my gmail that wasn't already available to Sony though.

Anyway I changed my gmail password to some really long thing, anybody else know any simple thing to check that I may have missed?

P.S. Unless sony's system requires a credit card account to create I don't have to worry about my actual card, I never bought a thing from their online stuff.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 07:21:34 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2011, 07:22:49 pm »

Its not a huge problem if you simply do not have any sort of sensitive info on your email. If you don't, changing your password is enough, if just to prevent it from being used by spambots and scams.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2011, 08:08:50 pm »

You might want to fire off a notification to anyone on your mailing list to not download any attachments sent from you. (Just in case they looted your contact list) :P
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2011, 08:33:21 pm »

Yea I already did that.  I sent one to everyone except Toady, who probably has better things to do than read a random email about an email address getting out that is already (or was at one time) posted in public.  And knows better than to download random attachments.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:39 pm »

To the people saying "Can you only blame Sony?": Yes.

1) They based the entire security of their system on a client that is in the users hands. First rule of security: Never trust the user.
2) They earned the ire of the tech community by giving them Linux (hey, we can replace our computers with this! and it plays games too!) then removing it. Meaning people knew it could run an alternative operating system in the first place.
3) By making such a big deal about it, they painted a big target on their ass. Suing some 21 year old just because he did things they couldn't, and dragging out a court case just to make an example out of him? They should be giving this guy a job, not trying to ruin his life with the backing of a multinational corporation.
4) Knowing that GeoHot's hack was fully functional and (if their company had people actually looking up these things rather than having their head up their painted asses) there was a custom firmware, with... alternative... functionality, did nothing.
5) Played the Madagascar route and shut down everything, staying quiet until they noticed "Oh, hey, maybe there was something important in there")

Ars Technica articles covering it (Comment sections are pretty juicy):

Edit: Nintendo and Microsoft are probably laughing their asses off at this by now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:38:53 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 02:41:51 am »

No, they aren't. They are essentially unenforceable for the most part, but not illegal.

Let's go with "they're borderline". You're not allowed to try to force someone into a contract when they've already purchased your product. You have to present the contract before purchase or the contract is null and void.

Every time an EULA has been tested in court, it's been laughed out immediately due to the fact that they're completely bullcrap.

They're also in legalese which is another major "lol no". Any contract presented to a person without a lawyer present to explain it to them must be written in plain speech. EULAs are never written in plain speech.

So, yeah. They're pretty much illegal except they're not illegal they're just not legal.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 03:31:57 am »

*Agreements, not contracts. In the case of PSN, so forth: free user, no cost for either side to continue services... There's a "contract" with no monetary value exchange? Huh? That word doesn't mean what you think it means, sorry sony.
*Gross or intentional negligence is not just a civil matter. An example of paypal, because they're incompetent quite often, despite their rather draconian terms of us. You'll note the court ruled against them after calling their customer service unconscionable. Point in fact, if ANYONE does something completely rear-backwards and idiotic and harms you, I don't think any agreements cover it.

Relevant precedents from high school: "By looking at this O i'm making with my fingers you consent to being punched in the nads"/"If she didn't want him to pee on her, why didn't she just move out the way?"

Was sony's level of protection reasonable? Quite a few people before and after are sayin no.
*You cannot sign away your rights. Even in a real contract.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 05:14:03 am »

*Agreements, not contracts. In the case of PSN, so forth: free user, no cost for either side to continue services... There's a "contract" with no monetary value exchange? Huh? That word doesn't mean what you think it means, sorry sony.

You do realise a contract is an agreement, right?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:46 am »

Definition of CONTRACT
a : a binding agreement between two or more persons or parties; especially : one legally enforceable

in layman's terms it is a legally enforceable, written agreement.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2011, 09:40:51 am »

Diamok, what you just described was good, old fashioned, account hacking which has happened to every single MMO since we collectively stoppped using dial-up. It is what happens when you get keylogged or someone bruteforces your pw. This Sony hack was an infiltration of data centers with mass theft of data, enncrypted and unencrypted.

[sarcasm]
Really? I had no idea my account being hacked wasn't part of some grand master plan to over throw the world.
Wow...I feel so much better now that you've cleared that up.

Thank you for shinning the light on my naivety too!
[/sarcasm]

Seriously, I was just telling you guys what happened to me and thought it might pertain.

Take care,

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2011, 11:20:19 am »

in layman's terms it is a legally enforceable, written agreement.

Too bad you didn't define what is legally enforceable :P

Legally a contract requires a "meeting of the minds", defining what THAT means isn't possible in a forum post hehe.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »

Hey guys, come on, don't you realize Sony is going down the shitter anyways?
wait a moment here...

Goddammit.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 12:48:44 pm »

wait a moment here...

I could be mistaken, but AFAIK $9 million (roughly, stock included) is pretty tame.  Don't uproars about this sort of thing usually occur with numbers in the $50-150 million range?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15