Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18209 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 01:34:29 pm »

Heh, bet Sony will not be responsible for anything in any court of law. Pretty typical corporate fuckuping in the modern world and another reason to avoid Sony, in addition to their draconian DRM schemes.
And the fact that they've worked extremely hard to earn the ire of the tech community. PS3 modifications? Out the window. PSP? Don't make me laugh; they removed codability from that a long time ago.

Seems like everything they do is an attempt to be more like Apple. Yet the DMCA doesn't project jailbreaking a PS3 like it does an iPhone.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »

Sony's response to this has been golden.

"Hackers": Look at this guys, no security, unsalted hash, lolololol.
Sony: Shut. It. Down.
Customers: ?
Sony: ...
Customers: Must be maintenance. Right?
"Hackers": Look at all this info we stole! Hurr, no encryption on anything, plain text tells me where your girlfriend lives.
Customers: WTF!? Sony?
Media: Sony hacked, personal info may include CC numbers in addition to most of your sensitive personal info!
Customers: Is this true OMG!!
Sony: (nearly a week later) Evil haxx0rz bypassed our non-security, we can assure you only unimportant info was stolen, like your name and address etc. No CC stolen!
Customers: ... eh ... alright, when is PSN coming back up?
Sony: ....
Media: People reporting credit card fraud, stolen IDs, mysterious bullshit ... is it Sony?
Customers: MY DATAS :(
Sony: ....
"Hackers": <trollface.jpg>
Sony: Alright, MAYBE a few OLD and unimportant CC numbers and debit card numbers got snatched, no big deal though ... oh, and this is for SOE stuff, who knows how long we've known about this! Thanks for your support! We'll be up soon, with free 30 day trials of shit you don't want anyway! <wink.jpg>
Media: LOL LOOK AT THIS SHIT.
Customers: FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Sony: (takes down SOE websites, online games, replaces with "We will catch evil criminals and we are not liable for your losses, bitches.")

That about sums it up, I think. Point of my dumb little strawman skit: Sony reacted late in the eyes of the public, preventing people from taking informed action immediately, and Sony hasn't been all that clear on what they're doing other than chasing bad guys (haha, sure) and securing their stuff.

I've already gotten new credit and debit card numbers, my credit union was very understanding -- even had a special team to handle Sony fraud issues.

TL;DR: Sony is a terrible company run by terrible people. The lack of concern and security for our personal information is insulting.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »

Im definitely not buying any more sony crap. ps4? I'll wait for the xbox 720 (or whatever it is going to be called), new games? sorry, I'll only buy used. Downloadable Content? HELL NO!
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 02:10:41 pm »

The whole thing is a disaster and has been for awhile.

People have been abandoning Sony for awhile. The removal linux from the ps3 was the last straw for me.

The last straw for the hackers was either the hundred of employees they laid off (who all had full access) or all the lawsuit bs that shouldn't be an issue in the first place. If they had embraced people who wanted to have fun with their ps3 and not treated their customers and employees like shit, they wouldn't be in this position.

Any network can be hacked or at least taken down. It is all about motivation. Don't be mad at the hackers that you can't play online right now, be mad at what Sony did to push the issue this far.

I haven't spent a dime on Microsoft products for 20 years (besides the tax that is unavoidable when buying laptops). If they release a new console that doesn't have the storage limitations the 360 does, I will switch to it in the next generation.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 02:33:54 pm »

I actually had an issue with my account back on March 9th.  Got an email telling me thanks for my purchase of Star Wars Galaxies.  I was like...hmm, maybe it's a new free trail deal or something.  Went in and sure enough, someone had hacked the account and purchased Galaxies.

What was odd though, they did not change my password, nor did they change my email addy. (Red Flag!)
I called support, spoke with a dude for about a half hour, he transferred me to the fraud department, spoke to them for about another half hour.  After it was all said and done, they removed the game from my account, checked all of my characters (I could have cared less, had been 3 years since I played) and confirmed the hacker used a credit card other than mine.

After I got done talking with them I of course went in and changed all my info, addy, PW and all that jazz.  Granted, this current hack seems to have come after my issues...which is sort of funny/weird to me that it actually happened.  I mean, my account was hacked, just a few months before this huge attack.  It's pretty safe to say someone was testing the waters and probably hacked a few accounts.  You'd think this would have thrown a flag for Sony and they would have tightened things down more, or at least had an eye on things.

In any case, I saved all the emails and info from Sony about my situation, if anything for me gets out of wack with my identity and what not, you can bet I'll be suing the shit out of them.

Take care,

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 02:58:21 pm »

(The oracle of Delphoi delivering us truth from Elysium)

I hope this doesn't count as spam; I just wanted to say bravo at SeaBee's excellent summary of everything so far. I've lost nothing and got nothing riding on this. My only Sony product is a MP3 player I got as a present. Still, evil corporate bullshit like this riles me up.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 04:13:04 pm »

Diamok, what you just described was good, old fashioned, account hacking which has happened to every single MMO since we collectively stoppped using dial-up. It is what happens when you get keylogged or someone bruteforces your pw. This Sony hack was an infiltration of data centers with mass theft of data, enncrypted and unencrypted.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »

Heh, bet Sony will not be responsible for anything in any court of law. Pretty typical corporate fuckuping in the modern world and another reason to avoid Sony, in addition to their draconian DRM schemes.

Remember the Sony Rootkit scandal? That was entirely the reason I decided to buy an Xbox 360 and not a PS3 back in the day. I knew not to expect any better from them ever again. Man, am I ever happy with my choice. Smart buyers beware indeed.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 04:33:18 pm »

*ahem*

Smart buyers bought PCs.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 04:43:51 pm »

*ahem*

Smart buyers bought PCs.

I also have a PC, but I wanted a blue ray player and half my friends already had PS3s and I wanted to play certain multiplayer games with them.

Of course I bought my ps3 second hand, and most of my games second hand as well, so I have not supported them all that much.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 04:44:38 pm »

*ahem*

Smart buyers bought PCs.

Which, as we all know, is the unassailable stronghold of personal information security? ;)

I hope for the sake of indie devs this kind of thing never happens to, say, Steam or Gamersgate.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 04:47:42 pm »

I hope for the sake of indie devs this kind of thing never happens to, say, Steam or Gamersgate.

One of those sounds like a scandal waiting to happen.  :P

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 04:55:18 pm »

^This.

Steam has been the target of this kind of stuff several times, and yet it hasn't fail (so far). Plus getting steam user's account info would be alot more useful then SOE users since nearly everyone who uses steam buys stuff from it, while the percentage of people who actualy buy stuff off playstation network in comparatively low.

Anyway, SOE's contract got it covered. While there's nothing stopping you from going on a legal adventure, its quite improbable you'll get anything out of it except lawyer fees. A contract is a contract, no stopping it unless the clause you're arguing over is illegal in a way, which this one is not.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 05:03:57 pm »

SOE's contract got it covered. While there's nothing stopping you from going on a legal adventure, its quite improbable you'll get anything out of it except lawyer fees. A contract is a contract, no stopping it unless the clause you're arguing over is illegal in a way, which this one is not.

You do realise EULAs are completely illegal, right?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

SOE's contract got it covered. While there's nothing stopping you from going on a legal adventure, its quite improbable you'll get anything out of it except lawyer fees. A contract is a contract, no stopping it unless the clause you're arguing over is illegal in a way, which this one is not.

You do realise EULAs are completely illegal, right?
No, they aren't. They are essentially unenforceable for the most part, but not illegal.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15