Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18237 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:57 pm »

Welcome back! We were down for a month, here's some free goodies in the hopes you'll forget all about that whole "losing your credit card and user information" business. It'll be just like old times!

Painfully transparent, but it'll probably work on the people with no compulsion (or ability) to buy another game system. And they're still having problems with their networks.

In regards to
There is no motivation for serious hackers to break a console just to pirate games. You have no idea the hardware that you have to purchase and physical labor you have to do to even begin calling yourself a ps3(or any hardware) hacker.

This is about as true as it gets. When Sony (or anyone, really) locks down something, it's just like putting a big "come at me bro" sign on your forehead: people who are smarter or more capable are going to take the challenge and trash you for it. Security is a cat and mouse game, but the mouse only needs to win once, then he's got a foothold and a bunch of friends ready to use it. All it takes is time.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2011, 08:19:02 am »

my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2011, 03:00:56 am »

...and now Sony BMG (greece) gets hacked. Username's & passwords.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/05/22/sony-bmg-greece-the-latest-hacked-sony-site/

SQL Injections even, that's not really reassuring. Then again, this (probably) has nothing to do with SOE network, its still very painfull they get hacked so soon after the SOE incident.
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:55 pm »

Lol, 2 more hacks in as many days. One by LulzSec, one as of yet unknown.
http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/05/24/sony-music-hack-of-the-day-2/
http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/05/25/sony-ericsson-hack-of-the-day/
This puts it up to 8 or 9 now.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2011, 02:28:05 am »

My god, I just realized this means my station access was refilled.
I've got 45 days of pretty much every game.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2011, 02:29:38 am »

What the hell do I use PSN+ for anyway?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2011, 07:57:25 pm »

http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/06/02/sony-hack-of-the-day-2/
Sony hacked again by LulzSec.
Sony Hack of the Day: With Sony’s PlayStation Network fully restored for less than a day, hackers at Lulz Security say they’ve compromised PSN again.

While they were at it, they also hit Sony Pictures and Sony BMG, scoring a treasure trove of unencrypted usernames and passwords, as well as millions of coupons and music codes.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2011, 08:27:20 pm »

when nintendo got hacked all was done was Wii brew.
when Xbox 360 got hacked all that lead was online multiplayer hackers getting banned and flagged.
ps3 had to brag and be large baby and try to start a war against hackers.
why didn't they just tackle the online players and let the homebrew make games for them, no other developer doing so. they got no games.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »

when nintendo got hacked all was done was Wii brew.
when Xbox 360 got hacked all that lead was online multiplayer hackers getting banned and flagged.
ps3 had to brag and be large baby and try to start a war against hackers.
why didn't they just tackle the online players and let the homebrew make games for them, no other developer doing so. they got no games.

Coherent.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2011, 03:38:43 pm »

If what LulzSec is saying is true (and it probably is), I can't understand why Sony doesn't bother to encrypt user data. Is it for internal convenience? Or just negligence?

I wouldn't care so much if it weren't for Sony being so DRM-heavy. I remember the root kits.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »

If what LulzSec is saying is true (and it probably is), I can't understand why Sony doesn't bother to encrypt user data. Is it for internal convenience? Or just negligence?

Storing passwords themselves instead of their hashes seems like a terrible idea to begin with when you're such a high-profile target.

However, we all should consider this: Is Sony's security really that bad, or have they just become a popular target after the first hack? Can we really be sure that anyone else's security is better?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

However, we all should consider this: Is Sony's security really that bad, or have they just become a popular target after the first hack? Can we really be sure that anyone else's security is better?

In the last weeks, there have been attacks on Pokertablerating, Cardrunners, Best Buy, Chase, the US Dept. of Mass Commerce and tons more. And these are just the names that I remember.

PSN makes such a fuss because it has 70.000.000 accounts...
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2011, 04:16:40 pm »

Storing passwords themselves instead of their hashes seems like a terrible idea to begin with when you're such a high-profile target.
That doesn't really matter. If you get to the password and know what type of hash is being used, it's easy to reveng a string to generate the same hash and match the password. It's a problem with these lazy days of webservice and integration.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

I can see a way to make some bucks out of this. Just threaten Sony that you'll tell everyone you've hacked them unless they give you enough money. Because right now, who's going to believe Sony in claiming they have not been hacked?

That doesn't really matter. If you get to the password and know what type of hash is being used, it's easy to reveng a string to generate the same hash and match the password. It's a problem with these lazy days of webservice and integration.
Besides, this was likely an inside job because the hackers had to know something about the new PSN security model to hack it in less then a day. If you've got a mole, getting the hash is trivial.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »

Nono, there was one that was a simple SQL injection any non-hacker douche can do.

It's really bad.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15