Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Aperture !!Science!!  (Read 22244 times)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Aperture !!Science!!
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 04:05:21 pm »

A goblin going through a series of tests with a Crossbow and a Companion War Frog

More like companion animated puzzlebox.
I am dumbstruck. I have seen that strand of bliss that portal and DF share!
Such as "Rat Man", and the all-seeing conscience that controls (and enjoys killing) everything? And the magma?
And Maybe as the goblin goes through the abandoned areas of testing rooms, he hears the monologue of a certain Cave Urist, who made his Pet Cat immortal......
Scamps? lol.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 07:01:00 pm »

A goblin going through a series of tests with a Crossbow and a Companion War Frog

More like companion animated puzzlebox.
I am dumbstruck. I have seen that strand of bliss that portal and DF share!
Such as "Rat Man", and the all-seeing conscience that controls (and enjoys killing) everything? And the magma?
And Maybe as the goblin goes through the abandoned areas of testing rooms, he hears the monologue of a certain Cave Urist, who made his Pet Cat immortal......
Wait...

Then who would Rat Man be?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2011, 03:06:03 am »

Do we still even have rat men?

Anyway, my fort is called BrainStorm for tho0se who want to know. I havent played portal 2 so pleasze dont spoil this.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2011, 04:57:02 am »

Do we still even have rat men?

they are referring to Doug "ratman"

Read the comic that connects portal 1 and 2. he stars in it

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2011, 07:44:51 am »

I think I am going to have gem windows as the computers(because they be blinky-shiny)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2011, 11:30:35 am »

I think I am going to have gem windows as the computers(because they be blinky-shiny)
:3

This is going to be such an awesome fort. Be sure to add cake glazed bread and kittens grief counseling!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2011, 12:24:29 pm »

So sad. I had TWO WHOLE FUCKING OLM MEN CAMPS but they didnt want to step into the cage. SUCH A WAIST of potential!!! I also caught some goblins...and lost three dwarves. Only three. I had a dwarf go hunting in the caverns and he hunted a giant toad...and guess what...IT WAS HIS FIRST SHOT! AND HE WAS A NOOB! It just said the fungiwood bolt strikes the giant toad in the head tearing the brain thrugh the scull. I had to kill those olm/swallow whatever men...But there are 2.5 left. I will try to capture them.

My idea for the rooms will be in patterns of weapon traps(can you walk diognaly?) and in having a true-false pressure plates that the enemy can step on(left=open door. Right=Flood the chamber)

OH GOD! A cave crocodile+dwarf hunter=dwarf hunter-one arm-cave crocodile! Not EXACTLY a turret but still.

EDIT@: Maaaan. I thought I can ad as many gems to a window as I want...turns out I can ad only 3. Sucks.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:38:24 pm by antymattar »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2011, 12:41:18 pm »

So sad. I had TWO WHOLE FUCKING OLM MEN CAMPS but they didnt want to step into the cage. SUCH A WAIST of potential!!! I also caught some goblins...and lost three dwarves. Only three. I had a dwarf go hunting in the caverns and he hunted a giant toad...and guess what...IT WAS HIS FIRST SHOT! AND HE WAS A NOOB! It just said the fungiwood bolt strikes the giant toad in the head tearing the brain thrugh the scull. I had to kill those olm/swallow whatever men...But there are 2.5 left. I will try to capture them.

My idea for the rooms will be in patterns of weapon traps(can you walk diognaly?) and in having a true-false pressure plates that the enemy can step on(left=open door. Right=Flood the chamber)

OH GOD! A cave crocodile+dwarf hunter=dwarf hunter-one arm-cave crocodile! Not EXACTLY a turret but still.

EDIT@: Maaaan. I thought I can ad as many gems to a window as I want...turns out I can ad only 3. Sucks.
Use 3 crappy gems.

Remember to make the central processing room out of microcline! That way the magic can power the facility  ;D

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2011, 01:15:34 pm »

Use 3 crappy gems.

Remember to make the central processing room out of microcline! That way the magic can power the facility  ;D
Why crappy? Also, I havent played portal 2 so all I know about black mes is from portal 1.

Anyway, I think I will be able to catch those three swallow men. Also, I told my glassmaker to construct some...Portals.  8)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2011, 01:19:33 pm »

Use 3 crappy gems.

Why crappy? Also, I havent played portal 2 so all I know about black mes is from portal 1.

Anyway, I think I will be able to catch those three swallow men. Also, I told my glassmaker to construct some...Portals.  8)
You don't need a lot of background knowledge to make aperture. Just remember to make the turret factory (slide o' pain anyone?) and the subject vault (sleeping quarters/cryo chambers).

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »

This is a great idea.
Now, someone probably already said this, but I think rather than pitting random-path finding goblins into these mazes, someone should design a fortress around this concept, upload, and use it for adventure mode. There's certainly alot of potential with all the game mechanics in Dwarf Fortress.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 05:09:28 pm »

This is a great idea.
Now, someone probably already said this, but I think rather than pitting random-path finding goblins into these mazes, someone should design a fortress around this concept, upload, and use it for adventure mode. There's certainly alot of potential with all the game mechanics in Dwarf Fortress.
That too. I put that in the OP.

Pull this lever to open a hatch that drops a Block of Empathy. Put the Block of Empathy on this pressure plate, which will drop the bridge leading to the next test chamber.

Walk past this wall please ZAP!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 06:59:47 pm »

This is a great idea.
this idea but for the more trap lab rat idea use Dfusion to set a caged gobbo as an adventurer when finished with the course have the Cage the adv controlled test subject be released(use a easy destroyable material like ice and some type of instant fire like a modded liganite that instant conbustable or hook the cage up to a mechanism that will release the creature on a set timer using water) a timed mechanism so that in adventure mode(swap over to it using DFmode) the player has to wait for the cage to be released adding a nice trapped effect. oh and we need a silly Food theme to go with the whole portal thing so Plump helmets good?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2011, 07:25:37 pm »

Potential GLaDOS dorf names from the DFwiki:
U.R.I.S.T. - Underground Reasonably Intelligent Settlement Technologist
N.O.B.L.E. - Narcissistic Obnoxious Boastful Laughable Excrement
M.A.G.M.A. - Massively Alcoholic Gear-Machine Assembly
A.R.M.O.K. - All-Reaching Master Of Killing

Your could have an URiST as just a dwarf up in a big hall of levers controlling everything. He grows food and brews his own beer, getting water from an aquifer (lakes/rivers would let outside stuff potentially swim in). Total isolation!
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2011, 07:47:25 pm »

This is a great idea.
this idea but for the more trap lab rat idea use Dfusion to set a caged gobbo as an adventurer when finished with the course have the Cage the adv controlled test subject be released(use a easy destroyable material like ice and some type of instant fire like a modded liganite that instant conbustable or hook the cage up to a mechanism that will release the creature on a set timer using water) a timed mechanism so that in adventure mode(swap over to it using DFmode) the player has to wait for the cage to be released adding a nice trapped effect. oh and we need a silly Food theme to go with the whole portal thing so Plump helmets good?
*Cat roast* or *plump helmet roast* would be good  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6