Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mainstream Conspiracy Theories  (Read 12633 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mainstream Conspiracy Theories
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 07:25:40 pm »

Actually there was a recent study, that conservative brains are physically different from liberal brains, and scientists could say with 75% accuracy whether person is conservative or liberal. And conservative and liberal people do have different characteristics (by average), one of them being that conservative brain reacts more strongly to threats.

How do you react to the scary unknown? You make up fascinating conspiracy stories to shield you from the harsh reality :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:30:11 pm by Hiiri »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 07:29:27 pm »

How do you react to the unknown?

SCIENCE!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:02 pm »

Actually there was a recent study, that conservative brains are physically different from liberal brains, and scientists could say with 75% accuracy whether person is conservative or liberal. And conservative and liberal people do have different characteristics (by average), one of them being that conservative brain reacts more strongly to threats.

You'll have to pardon me if I remain skeptical.  I'd expect any difference to be on par with any other cultural differences.  You make it sound like "ZOMG something is wrong their brain chemistry -> conservatives are diseased!!!!11one"

Ale and Axes

• Bay Watcher
  • Chug - Swipe - Cheer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 07:36:04 pm »

How do you react to the scary unknown? You make up fascinating conspiracy stories to shield you from the harsh reality :P

I'd say the root was more to do with self-satistfying conceits. Some people are more willing than others to entertain arbitrary and largely unfounded assumptions that fit with their preexisting world view and biases. :P

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »

Information is power and control.  It's perfectly reasonable that the press, government etc. would propagate false information as a way of keeping you clueless.  Always consider the source and don't believe anything that contradicts your common sense or instincts.

That having been said, often simpler explanations are the correct ones.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 07:50:15 pm »

My favorite has got to be the 'global warming was invented to raise taxes' conspiracy theory. As if the government doesn't have the power to raise taxes or something without a vast conspiracy among tens of thousands of people worldwide.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »

BUt this way they can stay in power while doing it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 07:53:56 pm »

My favorite has got to be the 'global warming was invented to raise taxes' conspiracy theory. As if the government doesn't have the power to raise taxes or something without a vast conspiracy among tens of thousands of people worldwide.

Not so much to raise taxes but as a means of control.  I don't believe in anthropogenic global warming.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »

Not so much to raise taxes but as a means of control.  I don't believe in anthropogenic global warming.

As if the government doesn't have the power to raise taxes control people or something without a vast conspiracy among tens of thousands of people worldwide.
Shoes...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 07:59:17 pm »

As if the government doesn't have the power to raise taxes control people or something without a vast conspiracy among tens of thousands of people worldwide.

It's easier to control people if you have them believing some neo-paganist "save the planet" mumbo jumbo.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:02:42 pm by Bouchart »

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 08:01:56 pm »

I always find it interesting that there are a people who think that the government can't do ANYTHING right, except flawlessly pull off elaborate hoaxes that involve hundreds or thousands of people.

Its also interesting that in the face of a real honest to god conspiracy being revealed to the public after the fact, (a secret military operation to track down and eliminate a guy in a foreign country without its knowledge and merely tacit approval) people insist on immediately developing a larger, more complicated conspiracy that this is just a ruse for.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 08:03:10 pm »

I always find it interesting that there are a people who think that the government can't do ANYTHING right, except flawlessly pull off elaborate hoaxes that involve hundreds or thousands of people.

Its also interesting that in the face of a real honest to god conspiracy being revealed to the public after the fact, (a secret military operation to track down and eliminate a guy in a foreign country without its knowledge and merely tacit approval) people insist on immediately developing a larger, more complicated conspiracy that this is just a ruse for.

Governments are bad at basically anything that doesn't involve mass murder and oppression.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »

Governments are bad at basically anything that doesn't involve mass murder and oppression.

Slow down Machiavelli a la The Prince, they're pretty good at wasting money too.

As well, I rest my case, you are your avatar!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »

Those are some handy catch phrases and statements, you have throughly out reasoned me, and i bow, defeated by your superior arguments.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:44 pm »

I read a book recently called The Male Brain, in which the author discusses how modern science's view of the brain has changed over the years.  Before, the brain was considered immutable, unchangeable, new brain cells are never constructed.  That is until somewhat recently (not sure what changed) when it was discovered that the human brain changes fundamentally several times over a person's lifetime.  And that comes from just going from growing up.  Wouldn't be surprised that if you took a liberal and asked him to roleplay as a conservative for a few months, his brain would appear a bit more conservative.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4