Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Hive .4 - second major release. Still beta.  (Read 8471 times)

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
Re: Dwarven Hive .001 - Concept, ideas.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:24 am »

Sounds like a cool idea. Probably way too much micromanagement once you hit 40-120 citizens. I'd rename every dorf to their caste so I could make sense of it in Therapist.
How about a no-arms caste, talkative type.
That's something we should probaby do too :).

No-arms will spam you with "cannot *** too injured", also they won't wash and change clothes.

This would probably be very stupid and funny :P as They would not be able to drink nor eat and would probably be forced into the hospital all the time????? Unless u can find a way to make their feet also their hands?
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 04:21:12 am »

I think they can eat and probably drink water (not from barrels) just fine, MWaser lived for a few years without hands in Plump's fort.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 04:24:06 am »

I think they can eat and probably drink water (not from barrels) just fine, MWaser lived for a few years without hands in Plump's fort.

Is this the most recent fort? I have actually stopped watching PHPs stuff. But I guess they can still drink by dunking their head into summit :P

Daff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 10:02:36 am »

Love the idea, lets hope you can pull it off. :)
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 11:12:57 am »

Adding the [CAN_GRASP] tag to their mouths should allow them to dress themselves and eat, removing spam.  I suspect I'd have to make a custom mouth for that (or just add [CAN_GRASP] to the regular mouth, which would possibly cause trouble, like creatures charging into battle with weapons in their mouths - alternatively, awesomeness, like creatures charging into battle with weapons in their mouths).  Still - don't know if I want to add an armless caste.  Right now the Soil caste is considered the diplomats.

I've managed to make drones pathetically weak; at size 100 and with all physical attributes at 1, they do little more than bruise.  It's more than I want, though, so I'll try them at speed 50.

I'm making progress.  Rock dwarves are now properly made of stone and can absorb ludicrous punishment.  Armed opponents can still bring them down, and unarmed opponents can maim them - after taking 5 on 1 normal dwarves, the lone rock dwarf had no fingers or teeth, but no other injuries.  When I put the rock dwarf up against one blood dwarf with axes, things got hairy - he took down the blood dwarf with a lucky shot, and then the rock dwarf had an axe.  There was...trouble. 

As far as organization, that can be dealt with to some degree by increasing the severity of learning restrictions and providing natural skill.  If only Magma dwarves can learn smithing, and they start with a few ranks of Furnace Operator, then any incoming Furnace Operators or Metalsmiths are almost definitely Magma caste.  Any peasants or brewers are most likely drones. 
Edit:  Turns out that profession names are editable on a caste level.  Drones now always show up as drones.  The other castes will be more work.

Anyway, glad to see that people like the idea; thanks for the advice and answers.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:16:30 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 03:26:01 pm »

Going to be heading off to work, may or may not be able to work on it.  The following is done:

- Rock, wood, flesh dwarves and drones have their skill rates set and have caste profession names so that you can tell what caste a dwarf is at a glance.

- Rock dwarves are made of rock (gypsum right now).  They're a bit too tough, perhaps - although, in one test, two bulls DID manage to take down a rock dwarf, so they might be okay as long as they're not up against other unarmed bipeds.

- Blood dwarves have the proper number of limbs.

The game can run, with the following errors:

*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_standard.txt"
DWARF:ROCK:Attack SCRATCH seems to have correct format but could not find proper BPs in any caste, so not added
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature DWARF
DWARF:Creature Tissue Material Failure: WOOD:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD:(no mat3)

I'll probably remove scratching from rock dwarves entirely, but that last one is the current issue.  I'm having a devil of a time actually getting wood dwarves to be made of wood.

RAW, if you're interested in poking around - warning, it may be a soul-scarring mess.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Kweri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 04:15:49 pm »

You don't use LOCAL_PLANT_MAT like this when you're not in a plant definition. The local part is saying "belonging to the thing we're talking about already". What you want is just PLANT_MAT, which takes the argument for which plant to use. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Material_token

I think it should look like PLANT_MAT:PINE:WOOD
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:20:22 pm by Kweri »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hive .3 - First release.
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 04:15:24 pm »

First playable version is up.  All testing that I've done has been on an individual-unit basis, though - so please let me know if game-breakers pop up in play!

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 04:21:05 pm »

YES!!!!! LPING STR8 AWAY!!!!!!!!

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 10:13:21 am »

Here is the first video for Dwarven Hive Test of mine ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5xRpljyDg

And the Playlist which this will be in

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=AC1711DACAD9305F
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 10:24:57 am by Ult1mara »

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 12:35:11 pm »

Thanks for the review!  I'm going to be editing the caste descriptions straightaway.  It looks like you got lucky - blood dwarves are (supposed to be, at least!) a lot rarer than drones.  Three of them, plus a rock dwarf, at embark means you're probably in good shape to take on most animals.

Once I have the next version up, it should be safe to just replace your old creature_standard.txt and continue playing.

Done.  V .3.1 is up.  Caste pop ratios adjusted a bit (drones should be VERY common, with only Stinger Drones as a second) and all caste descriptions note exactly what skills a caste is allowed to do.

Note that any caste can DO any job, they just won't get better at it.

Also, there's a glitch - when embarking, if you assign skills, the game will push them through, even if the caste you're assigning to can't learn them.  No big deal for, say, Rock dwarves, but drones?  A drone who's a proficient miner can carve out a fortress in a matter of minutes.  So seriously, don't do it.

I tried to assign caste profession names for all non-Royal castes, to try to make it easy to spot what caste any dwarf was on sight.  In minutes on my first test embark, I got a Cook showing up.  He's a magma dwarf with no skill in cooking, but has the Cook labor enabled and is labeled a Cook.

*sigh*

Anyway.  Hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:01:40 pm by Talanic »

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 02:21:00 pm »

I think that you should remove dwarven ghosts for this mod. Ants don't get pissy if not properly memorialized (if this is already in, disregard. Consider this my watching post).

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 03:16:27 pm »

NEW new update.  I tested the allowed skill descriptions only to find that a colon in the dwarf description cuts the rest of the description off RIGHT THERE.  So all the castes said Allowed Skills but nothing more about what skills were allowed.

Re ghosts, I'm not sure it's even possible to mod them away.  Also, ants do form graveyards, don't they?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 03:18:49 pm »

CANNOT_UNDEAD should stop ghosts from showing up.

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2011, 08:17:08 am »

Their graveyards are more a giant refuse stockpile, I believe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5