Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven Hive .4 - second major release. Still beta.  (Read 8465 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hive .3 - First release.
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 08:39:40 am »

I think that you should remove dwarven ghosts for this mod. Ants don't get pissy if not properly memorialized (if this is already in, disregard. Consider this my watching post).

Some ants bury their dead very carefully. They'll carry them great distances to get them into their little burial mounds.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 11:52:32 am »

To-do (with the stipulation that I won't likely be doing these things quickly):

1.  Make the dwarves less humanlike.  I envision the drones being armless and having more than two legs, now, almost like beetles, with a mouth that can grasp.  Other castes are going to be a mix of insect and humanoid, to the point that Royals look like normal dwarves, but Blood have two arms, two pincers.  Gender limits are going in also; I suspect that Blood and Royal dwarves will be the only females in the hive.

Noble definitions will also get redone.  Militia commanders and captains will have to be female, in order to limit it to Blood and Royal castes; if this works, it'll mean that you need these castes to even form a military.  Mayor, baron and higher won't exist, but there will be one Hive Queen; no mandates for any of the nobles, but they'll have a high value room requirements and the ability to make many demands.

Also, I intend to cut the Hive off from caravans - I'd cut them off from migrants too (to avoid a number of minor bugs), and up their reproductive and maturation rates, but there's no guarantee that the player will get a breeding pair on embark.

2. Add in Hive reactions and crafting.  One issue that has occurred to me is that a lot of jobs can easily be done by Drones; who cares if they have no skill if they smelt at 300% speed?  To combat this, I intend to make some reactions for skills that normally are just performed faster when skill is higher; these reactions will instead produce useful objects with a quality attached.

Is it possible to have the quality of ingredients affect the quality of the output product?  How?

For Hive metal, I want to require the player to collect Blood and Royal Jelly.  Right now there's no way to collect blood except to either embark with it or import it; I need to add a reaction.  Right now I'm intending to have it be at the Screw Press, resulting in a <species> press cake and a barrel / jug of blood.

Hive armor would include Carapace Plate and Jointed Helms.  Trap components would include Razor Wire and Crushing Maws.  Weapons include the Wafer Blade (pressed), Hive Stinger (a knife that uses wrestling skill), Farsting (crossbow skill), Razordisk launcher (bow skill, pressed coins for ammo), and Longsting (spear with very thin point, low stuck chance).

3.  Other species.  Ideally, I want to have regular dwarves as a hostile and very dangerous opponent.  After all, the Hive is monstrous, and its ethics (to be defined in step 1) are completely callous towards anyone outside of the Hive.  On top of that, I intend to add some powerful castes to other opponents, and maybe add a couple species, including the deadly Collectors.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 12:11:53 pm »

How to cut off the dwarven caravan:

Go into the entity_default file and look for the dwarven civ. Delete the ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN tag from it. Without this tag telling the caravan to come in autumn, it will never arrive.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 12:20:26 pm »

Easier than I expected.  Thanks!
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »

Or simply get out of the "dwarf" part entirelu and make an entity of eusocial insects.

Or naked mole dogs :P

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 06:07:47 pm »

Ur mod seems to be getting a lot of attention dude :P and very deservant ^_^ Also there seems to be a lot of action and updates happening which is also really good yay
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »

Some ideas that might be cool:

Blind dwarves with beard feelers and the [extravision] tag. They would be good hunters and scouts, able to spot sneaking kobolds and elves better than a regular dwarf.

Amphibious dwarves. Because waterworld.

I was going to suggest magma-safe dwarves but it looks like you have that caste already. Can they swim in magma? They would be able to build some cool stuff.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:29:03 pm by Koji »
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:40 pm »

The blind dwarves with beard feelers might work better with a caste idea I had already.  Armless, with a beard that could Grasp. 

Amphibious dwarves would be cool, but the problem is that they won't perform jobs in water anyway, even if they can swim with impunity; pathing just doesn't allow it.  That sharply limits magma dwarves as well, sadly.

The larger problem is, right now the castes fill all the major roles in Dwarven society.  While I could add more, it'd be adding overlap, or decreasing the abilities of current castes. 

So if there will be blind, armless, prehensile-haired dwarves, they'll most likely be a monster type.  Not all aberrations get along with one another.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »

A rival dwarf hive civ with different castes maybe?

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 05:10:01 am »

Wat about a juggernaut caste or summit? That will Just be used as cannon fodder, incredibly tough but cant really hurt things in battle. They can ONLY be wrestlers or summit? They would be incredibly good to use in the front line so that they take the aggro to allow the Rock and Blood dwarves can get to work?

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:28 am »

Posting to watccccchhhhh
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 02:22:48 pm »

If you want the "true" insect-type hive, then you should change the "Royal" caste to "Prince".  It is their job to become outstanding and breed with the Queeen.

Of course, you also need a "Queen" caste.  Even rarer than the "Prince" caste, this dwarf can only learn social skills, but has a humongous breed rate/litter size.  Slow, huge, and the player should feel oblidged to always promote this dwarf to Duchess.

Granted, neither class will work out quite as intended, with the Queen likely marrying something totally unexpected.  But hey, what dwarf would dare tell the Queen whom she can or can not marry.  Oh, and the appearance of two Queens would be sort of odd, but players can deal with this in the most Dwarvenly method they desire. 

Perhaps a lever-pulling contest?  First to pull the lever gets bathe in Magma, loser has to attend to the needs of these...dwarfs.  Truly a horrid fate.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 12:15:41 am »

In the spirit of making the hive be a mix of dwarf and insect, I'm leaving the Royals as an entirely-female caste that can have lots more young than anyone else. 

I was working on the Hive's ethics, and here's what I have now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They're still mostly dwarves outside of the ethics, which have only two settings - either they can't even conceive of doing it (because it would harm the Hive), or it's perfectly fine to them (because it would only harm others). 

After this I intend to revamp noble positions entirely.  With the civilization having no active season, there will be no Baronial appointment, so that entire line is irrelevant; as I noted earlier, though, the Militia Commander and Militia Captains will 1. be female to restrict the castes that can be appointed to those positions and 2. require very nice rooms, and be able to make Demands but not Mandates. 

There may also be a Hive Queen position but I'm not certain - it may be better to imply that the Queen is elsewhere.  Other leadership positions may be created if I think of ones that make sense.

Regarding a Juggernaut caste, I have an idea based on the idea of creating a type of armor that is ludicrously protective, but requires a minimum Size that nobody in any other caste will ever reach.  After that, just make the Juggernauts big enough to wear it, limit their offensive power to make sure they're not TOO good, and see how it goes. 

Also, I just started a new job today, so we'll see how well I can keep up with updates.  It may be tricky.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2011, 12:44:42 pm »

Dwarven Hive is at .4 now.  I tracked down a number of small bugs (no pun intended), including one where my attempts to make drones mindless backfired; adding NOTHOUGHT to them made them immune to brain damage, and was making them significantly tougher to kill.  Now they're both insectoid and extremely fragile; they also can only grasp a single item at a time, due to using their small_mandible to grab things.

Blood dwarves are no longer four-armed.  Now they have two arms and two pincers, which amounts to nearly the same thing.

Stinger drones are now insectaurs; four legs, two pincers, and a large mandible (non-grasping).  Sadly, the pincers and mandible don't actually have special attacks.  Could use some help / suggestions for that.

Ethics and noble positions are in.  Military captains and commanders require extremely nice rooms, and there's a single type of drone that does bookkeeping, managing and brokering.  Your nobles will be very DEMANDing but there will be no mandates.  Also, the Hive is now in its own files, so you should be able to plug it in to nearly any existing mod and start having Fun right away - although, you'd probably best remove CIV_CONTROLLABLE from any race you don't want to play as.

You should only get two waves of migrants and no Hive caravan.  However, the Hive females reproduce at astounding rates, and dwarf larvae grow to adulthood very quickly.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hive .4 - second major release. Still beta.
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »

I am loving the new updates Talanic cant wait to see more. Sorry I have not been on lately as I stated I was busy moving. I have now moved so expect there to be more updates soon and more LPs etc. And there will DEFINATELY be more once my gf goes back to school ^_^
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5