Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 10 years, 2 wars, 919,967 deaths, and $1,188,263,000,000 later, Osama's dead  (Read 3728 times)

DuckPolice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That sounds pretty dang dorfy to me

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Here's the thread for that, although it's not as creatively named: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83734.0;topicseen

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

DuckPolice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This thread is about how dwarfy the act is

It's like boatmurdered but instead of elephants it's terrorists
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:49:41 pm by DuckPolice »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Ooookay, then. At the risk of having things thrown at me, I'm going with not very. It wasn't done in ASCII, not a drop of magma was used, and no one was beheaded by having a handful of sand thrown at them. All in all, it's just another @ dead.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

You'll forgive me if I don't cheer after all of that, not to mention being told "we won" about 9 years ago.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

America got what it wanted; now they just need to decide if the price was worth it.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile

All taken, nearly a million dead, over a trillion in debt... and the middle east hates us more than ever.

My money would be on "no", if I still had any.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The celebrations ... disturb me.

This isn't a victory for democracy this is a defeat. A man (monster as he was) was killed without a trial, hardly justice.
Not saying there was any chance it could have ended differently, but treating the event as a victory in history is just stupid.

So many dead, such waste of resources. Not to mention the war is long from over.

I guess the true winner here is blind Nationalism...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

This isn't a victory for democracy this is a defeat. A man (monster as he was) was killed without a trial, hardly justice.
Not saying there was any chance it could have ended differently, but treating the event as a victory in history is just stupid.

I guess the true winner here is blind Nationalism...

meh, it's like WW2. Not that i'm comparing Hitler to Osama, but the toll of death they both brought to the world for their convictions? and even Mussolini was shot in the back without trial. or no, wait, he was trialed, by a commission of his "peers": communist partisan. Fair trial indeed.
This is just to say that, how "unhuman" as it may be, killing them without a trial, death is the only certain thing :/ prison life? he might escape. trial? their long, and victims deserve vengeance, don't they? i always think that people who speak about "being merciful" have never had their family slaughtered by a fundamentalist. Or by a serial killer. Or the like. It's obvious there are people who will celebrate this. As there are people who will be against it. But alive there was no possibility to take him. He was an estremist, he would have shot himself, after trying to kill as many US soldiers as possible, that, we must not forget, are yet human beings, who may have families, friends. One may well think against the way it was done, but there were few ways to do it. The second way just being nuking the entire region.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

I really don't think a politics thread like this needs to be in the Dwarf Fortress discussion zone.  Should probably stick with the other thread.

Edit:  Hahah the OP literally registered to post this

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Victims deserve closure in which venegenace rarely supplies.

Although I agree with Capntastic this thread is in the wrong place and I apologise for fueling it. Should be very much closed.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In 2001, "The War on Terror" began.

The War on Terror was waged by The United States on The Middle East. The most significant cause of the conflict was a dispute over the destruction of property.

In the early winter of 2001, "The Enduring Freedom Operation" occurred.

A: 402,203 humans, 11,758 losses
D: 136,000 humans, 38,000 losses

In the early winter of 2001, The United States attacked The Middle East at Afghanistan. The human George Walker Bush led the attack, and the defenders were led by the human Osama Bin Laden.

In the early summer of 2011, the human Osama Bin Laden was struck down by the human Joe Unknownsoldier.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

meh, it's like WW2. Not that i'm comparing Hitler to Osama, but the toll of death they both brought to the world for their convictions? and even Mussolini was shot in the back without trial. or no, wait, he was trialed, by a commission of his "peers": communist partisan. Fair trial indeed.

I think you'll find that the number of innocents killed looking for him is tens if not hundreds times the number of people he killed. And I don't see anyone advocating the US government be shot on sight...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

I think you'll find that the number of innocents killed looking for him is tens if not hundreds times the number of people he killed. And I don't see anyone advocating the US government be shot on sight...

You should probably look harder then  :P
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you'll find that the number of innocents killed looking for him is tens if not hundreds times the number of people he killed.
Go ahead and cite that, please.
And I don't see anyone advocating the US government be shot on sight...
You aren't American, I'm guessing? Or if you are you're from some populated eastern area (or perhaps directly on the west coast), and you've never got out of your suburb. Shooting feds on sight is a pretty popular notion in some part of the country.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:22:00 am by Cruxador »
Pages: [1] 2