Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sniping Games?  (Read 2276 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Sniping Games?
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:18:59 pm »

So I've been playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Ace of Spades (which is a wonderful game but it needs so much more polish) and I've come to the conclusion that I want to spend the next few days shooting people in the head from really really far away.

So I'm going to open this thread up for suggestions on realistic sniping games.

Wishlist:
Realistic ballistics, aiming and all that jazz.
Single Player focused (skills have gotten a big rusty)
Decent graphics (optional but still good to have)
Would love "scopeless" rifle sniping
Would love it to be WW1 trench sniping, perhaps playing as a German elite sniper.
Sniper Duels (though this is more of a multiplayer thing)
Bullet and/or killcam
Storyline (something different than an American gun wank for a change).
Open ended levels (for different tactics and all that)
Stealth/decent AI (no Farcry enemies seeing you hidden in a shack 50,000 kilometres away)
Infromative HUD (displaying wind direction and the like)
Replay value

I don't want games like Battlefield, CoD, etc that allows one to play the role of a sniper. Rather the game to be built around sniping... if that makes any sense.
Nor do I want hunting simulators. I want to shoot at things that can shoot back... if they knew where I was.

Cheers.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Sniping Games?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:59 pm »

Well Arma II has some pretty realistic sniping compared to other games, and you can download different missions for it.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:27:14 pm »

I must admit to never playing Arma.

I played the orginal Operation Flashpoint and loved it, the sequal did not impress me. I believe Arma is meant to be the "spiritual successor" to the orginal flashpoint games.

I've gotten some very mixed reviews with the Arma series (mostly about the bugs); but it is on my list of games I'm considering.
That said I would prefer something not based in the modern world, battle of Stalingrad in WW2 (even if WW2 is over done in games) would be great or trench warfare in the first.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:09:21 pm »

There's a game called Sniper Elite on steam (and I guess elsewhere as well) that sounds like what you're looking for. I haven't played it so I can't say anything about its quality, but if the trailer is anything to go by it should fit at least some of the points on your list.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:15:04 pm »

Sniper Elite is about as good as you're going to get when it comes to dedicated sniping games.  Sniper Ghost Warrior is pretty bad but it has sniping.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:15:56 pm »

Op. Flashpoint or ARMA would be good for you.

I'd recommend the first Flashpoint instead. At least it was the one I liked best.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 02:25:22 pm »

I played the orginal Operation Flashpoint and loved it, the sequal did not impress me.
The sequel to OFP is ARMA2, ARMA was just sort of an in-between game.

I can't think of any game where you get a rifle you can snipe with (optics or not) that doesn't take place before WWII
I can't think of any games that aren't trying to be Cockadooty that probably haven't already been mentioned.

There's a mod for ARMA2 that takes place in WWII.
There's Red orchestra but the 'single player' is balls
There's Red Orchestra 2 but that's not out yet, and we're not sure exactly if the singleplayer is going to be good.
In all the above games engagement ranges are much longer than typically found in Cockadooty (usually 100/200+ meters for regular infantry)

There's also Hidden & Dangerous and Hidden & Dangerous 2. I would highly recommend at least trying Hidden and Dangerous 2 since it's really awesome and I would not mind them making a third game one little bit. It has squad-based singleplayer as a commando team, but if you can find people you can go and get humans to play as your squadmates. I have not tried the co-op myself but it seems like something i'd love to do, especially with other Bay12-ers
Hidden & Dangerous 1 is too bugged to play online though.

Sniper Elite I haven't played much of... apparently you are a US sniper disguised as a German and shooting at Russians or something. This is probably your best bet, I'd think, bullet drop, concealment, other snipers trying to outsnipe you, that sort of deal.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 02:27:15 pm »

There's a game called Sniper Elite on steam (and I guess elsewhere as well) that sounds like what you're looking for. I haven't played it so I can't say anything about its quality, but if the trailer is anything to go by it should fit at least some of the points on your list.
Yeah, this is probably the best out there. The storyline is inane and the protagonist sounds like Peter Parker, but it's pretty much focused on taking out opponents with realistic sniping, taking wind and such into consideration. There's even a part where you "stealth" through by firing only when artillery shells hit. Although I don't think it's all that open-ended, so ech.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »

Don't flame me or anything, but JFK Reloaded is a pretty good sniper game.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 03:55:19 pm »

This is probably not your idea of a sniper game, but on TF2, cp_badlands on your second point, you've got a nice balcony overlooking the area. Sniper Rifle, Razorback and Kukri. Do it.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »

I don't know if this counts, but there is a lot of sniping in the Ghost Recon series.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 05:27:22 pm »

Sniper Elite is the best for your requirements and is a great game if you can handle the very dated graphics. There is a new sniper game that was released last year that had decent reviews but I had problems with. Also it is a modern setting. For realism and the time period you requested Sniper Elite is the only real choice.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:49 pm »

It may not be that sniper focused, but should you play through Conflict : Desert Storm (FIRST part, not the terrible second) as your sniper only, and set the difficulty on 3... This was my best sniping experience.

The game had awesome tanks!

It has no fancy things as wind direction though.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 05:48:46 pm »

Sniper Elite is indeed a great game worth your time. Though on some levels it might cause you a bit of frustration.

Realistic ballistics, aiming and all that jazz.

Sniper Elite has both bullet drop and wind in the options. There are also many techniques to steady your aim like manually breathing out.

Single Player focused (skills have gotten a big rusty)

Yes, though I think there's a multiplayer mode as well, not that I have much hopes of there being a community that's still playing it.

Decent graphics (optional but still good to have)
It's passable for what they need to accomplish.

Would love "scopeless" rifle sniping
You can try shooting without the scope :P.

Sniper Duels (though this is more of a multiplayer thing)

There are certain parts where you are going to have to find and take out enemy snipers.

Bullet and/or killcam

Yes it has this.

Storyline (something different than an American gun wank for a change).

You are an American, but his nationality doesn't feature very heavily in the story.

Open ended levels (for different tactics and all that)

Oh yes this. There are some missions that aren't very open, but for many of the missions, there are a lot of approaches to competing the objective. You're usually placed in a wide open area with bits of cover and artillery craters littered around for hiding. There's one mission where you have to stop three vehicles from leaving the staging point and you're given a bit of time to plan how you're going to stop them, scout the paths that they may take, and set up traps if that's your fancy.

Stealth/decent AI (no Farcry enemies seeing you hidden in a shack 50,000 kilometres away)

On hard, timing your shots with landing artillery shells is going to be very important. There's lots of non-sniper shooting in the game as well if you so choose to pick up those weapons. All in all, you can't take much damage on the difficulties above medium, for the most part, you're going to have to take some shots, and run away from overwhelming forces if you bump into them unexpectedly, but they're usually not a problem because you're leading them into some traps you've set up, right?

Infromative HUD (displaying wind direction and the like)

I think so. It's been a while since I've played this.

Replay value

The missions have a lot of replay value in that there's quite a lot of ways to accomplish them. Though there are some levels like the one where you have to provide covering sniper fire for a fleeing PoW that don't offer much wiggle room, the area leading up to it certainly does.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:00:09 pm »

that was an excellent and accurate write up of Sniper Elite!

Also wanted to mention the Hitman series, while the balistics are not accurately modeled, the positioning and observation elements are.
Only a simple mind can be certain.
Pages: [1] 2