Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advanced level danger rooms?  (Read 2088 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Advanced level danger rooms?
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:10:47 pm »

now I know the wooden training spears trick, but could you use maybe a battery of siege engines along two walls do you think? They're notoriously inaccurate, but Ith skilled enough operators I was thinking it'd be possible to use them instead of spikes.

Granted, this sounds more lethal, but that's part of the fun I guess. I'll have to try it once I'm not frantically finishing end-of-semester work.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced level danger rooms?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:14:27 pm »

Other than Fun, would there be much point to this? I think a 10x training spear trap gives as much training as anything can; it's just less likely to cause serious damage. But, this would probably work, as long as the operators were skilled enough to be accurate and the training crew can actually avoid damage. Armor would be a necessity.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:15:56 pm »

I forsee a lot of perforated soldiers. If you must do this, please please please test it on a bunch of expendable recruits before letting veterans anywhere near it...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:25:23 pm »

Next thing you know , he will be testing ballistas....

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:03:25 pm »

What kind of siege engine? Catapults or ballistae? Pleeeease say catapults.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:18:30 pm »

Would siege engineers even aim catapaults at their own men dwarves?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 02:30:11 pm »

Would siege engineers even aim catapaults at their own men dwarves?

You aim the siege engines in a direction. Then you give the order to man the catapult and/or shoot it.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »

I was thinking pults, But I'd upgrade to untipped ballistae eventually.I don't need to worry about veterans, since I never have any. I typically have no military to speak of and just leave the grinders and Goblinite refinery running constantly

and I know the training spears would probably be more efficient, this is just far dwarfier in my mind because it's less efficient, more deadly, and serves no real purpose.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:48:33 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:50:09 pm »

I don't need to worry about veterans, since I never have any.
I have a couple of theories on this.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

I think I'll try this. Catapults really aren't very deadly, like training spears. Plus, it'll train up your siege operators and engineers, while getting rid of useless rocks. So it's a good plan, right?
...Right?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 03:32:40 pm »

Wooden bolts do glance off decent armour - but I think the recruit would have to have armour skill first... and I don't know the maths craft here, but isn't it just a dodge/deflect roll - or do you get to parry etc like with training spears?

Make sure they have a nice relaxing magma shower afterwards to soothe those aches n pains now :D
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 03:37:43 pm »

Armor has no skill for deflection value.  Armor User skill determines the dwarf's speed while wearing armor.  With Legendary+5 Armor User, the dwarf runs in armor as fast as they run naked, no matter the weight.

All attacks on a given creature seem to roll for a dodge, then roll for a block, then roll for an armor deflection, at least in my experience.  A ballistae bolt is the same as a troglodyte fist, it follows the exact same steps and checks.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 03:43:28 pm »

I think I'll try this. Catapults really aren't very deadly, like training spears. Plus, it'll train up your siege operators and engineers, while getting rid of useless rocks. So it's a good plan, right?...Right?

catapults wouldn't work for training purposes, because your dwarves are somehow able to magically dodge the rocks. have lots of FUN make dwarf-kabobs with the ballista battery.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:00:53 pm »

maybe once they've graduated from training spear rooms we'll throw them against ballistae

*Mayor facepalms*

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:00:44 pm »

They can't block the bolts, and they won't provide much XP.
Pages: [1] 2