Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lucky son-of-a...  (Read 1273 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Lucky son-of-a...
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:04:50 pm »

Don't you love it? You have a nice trap, filled with large, serrated discs waiting for a siege to come up and get sliced up?

Don't you hate it when a mountain goat walks into that same trap and survives it?

Just happened to me, a weapon trap full of large, serrated iron discs (No flux :( ), and a mountain goat. The mountain goat survived the trap.

Unluckily for it, the one right next to the original one was full of superior and better quality ones :)

Anyone else witnessed any other such trap failures?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:06:38 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky son-of-a...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:07:56 pm »

10 level pitfall trap, it has killed many a goblin due to the pointy sticks down below. Until one day , a capybra fell off and survived....

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:08:08 pm »

If the mechanism is bad the trap is bad.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 01:26:00 pm »

The mechanisms were superior quality.

10 level pitfall trap, it has killed many a goblin due to the pointy sticks down below. Until one day , a capybra fell off and survived....

For me it's a 25 level pitfall ;)

With spikes at the bottom scavenged from the bloody remains of the goblins who met their end there.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:22 pm »

This is why my 40 weapon traps are followed by 15 cage traps.  Of a full siege usually only about 4 make it to cages.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »

I don't use weapon traps above ground, but I do put a single line of weapon traps (with a pair of silver serrated discs each) and a line of cage traps in front of my caverns entrance to keep out the crundles/elk birds/whatever.  Just leaves you to wonder what to do with a few crundles with several red wounds...

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:42 pm »

Once had a naked goblin survive passing through a triple-steel serrated disk trap with an artifact mechanism. Granted, the next one sliced him up good, but still. Also, when a goblin ambush decided to go through all those delicious sawblades, one of them managed to dodge two traps back and land on safe ground. He did bleed to death some time later, BUT STILL. All the other gobs fell 20z down and exploded, but this one guy dodged backwards TWICE and ended up on a tile with an occupied cage trap.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 02:16:39 am »

All the other gobs fell 20z down and exploded, but this one guy dodged backwards TWICE and ended up on a tile with an occupied cage trap.
I could almost imagine him doing the stuff they do in the matrix.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:54:52 am »

If you used a low quality mechanism for a 10-large serrated disc trap, you're doing it wrong.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:26:48 am »

In my last fort I had excessive amounts of copper and silver, no tin, and very limited iron/steel (just enough to equip a decent military), so I levelled my weaponsmith up on copper/silver trap components. Then after getting legendary and beginning work on the good weapons for the military, he died in an extremely stupid way and - still having hundreds of silver/copper - I levelled a new weaponsmith from novice to legendary on more terrible trap components. I even melted and reforged the lower quality ones, and of course used masterpiece mechanisms, so they were about as good as copper/silver traps can get. I lined a loooong corridor with them and the results were hilarious: apparently silver and copper don't penetrate goblin iron armor too well. I had goblins dodging all the way down the corridor and back up it, I would lock them in there for months as the traps reactivated and continually failed to scratch them. I eventually saw a few goblins get over-exerted from dodging, and finally dying when they collapsed from exhaustion (although most took a lucky hit that severed an exposed hand/foot before they got exhausted, then gave in to the pain).

And the best part - after an epic battle between my military and a siege, the only survivor on either side was an incredibly skilled lasher just hanging out on my traps refusing to die. So I rounded up 5 or 6 peasants, put them in my best steel, and sent them in. Of course, a copper whip goes through masterpiece steel as if it was paper, I watched in horror as every peasant died the same way: first whip attack punched through the armor and shattered a bone, peasant gives in to pain, peasant collapses on my own traps and gets finely minced through multiple layers of masterpiece steel by silver/copper serrated blades.

Lesson learned: no matter how bad the trap components, no matter how good the armor, if you can get anyone to fall unconscious on traps (even a friendly), they won't be getting back up.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:42:39 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.