Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Good reads  (Read 2530 times)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good reads
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 12:57:18 am »

The Malazan Book of the Fallen  YA - Stephen Ericson
A Song of Ice and Fire

The sci fi LE Modesitt Jr writes is in my opinion better than The Saga of Recluce   agreed!.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 01:50:31 am »

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday
Snow Crash by iforgotwho
Any Vonnegeut book..

just to name a couple I really enjoyed..
Yeah yeah yeah!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 02:09:07 am »

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
The House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday
Snow Crash by iforgotwho
Any Vonnegeut book..

I've never heard of The House Made of Dawn, but given the books it shares the list with I may have to look into it. Also brofist.

Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson. Cyberpunk classic, but a lighter tone and more humour than most cyberpunk. The only book I want to reread immediately after finishing it, every time I read it.

I'll add Cryptonomicon and Diamond Age to that list.

One of my math professors highly recommended the former, and the latter is just extremely good.  I own and love both of them.

Out of curiosity, have you read The Baroque Cycle by Stephenson? I've admittedly just started the first book, but it seems to have a lot to do with Isaac Newton and Natural Philosophers and related stuff. Seems like it might overlap with your areas of interest. Isaac Newton is a total badass thus far, by the way. Kicking ass and taking names and discovering calculus and shit.

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 02:42:24 am »

Out of curiosity, have you read The Baroque Cycle by Stephenson? I've admittedly just started the first book, but it seems to have a lot to do with Isaac Newton and Natural Philosophers and related stuff. Seems like it might overlap with your areas of interest. Isaac Newton is a total badass thus far, by the way. Kicking ass and taking names and discovering calculus and shit.

I've read the Baroque Cycle through numerous times, and I recommend it. You need to have a multithreading core of a brain to get through the second book, you might as well set the chapters in a different order and get two shorter books out of it. The tone, settings, and characters cover a very large amount of ground.

And while I'm fully aware I'm contradicting xkcd, Anathem was awesome and well worth the trouble of figuring out what the hell they're talking about. If you're a DF fan I assume you're not afraid of a steep learning curve.
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 03:12:18 am »

I've read the Baroque Cycle through numerous times, and I recommend it. You need to have a multithreading core of a brain to get through the second book, you might as well set the chapters in a different order and get two shorter books out of it. The tone, settings, and characters cover a very large amount of ground.

And while I'm fully aware I'm contradicting xkcd, Anathem was awesome and well worth the trouble of figuring out what the hell they're talking about. If you're a DF fan I assume you're not afraid of a steep learning curve.
Seconded (or thirded?), loved Anathem, and the Baroque Cycle is excellent too.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 03:46:48 am »

Fantasy/Sci fi/Action/Adventure/Comedy? The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglass Adams tricks most of those boxes if not all of them. If you've seen the film then don't panic the books are better.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:09 am »

The Farseer trilogy is an awesome thing. I mean, it was absolutely great.
Falls into the Fantasy genre.

Also, the Lord Golden is a trilogy which is placed after Farseer trilogy: Same writer, same place, and mostly same characters.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »

The Farseer trilogy is an awesome thing. I mean, it was absolutely great.
Falls into the Fantasy genre.

Also, the Lord Golden is a trilogy which is placed after Farseer trilogy: Same writer, same place, and mostly same characters.

Actually, it's Farseer trilogy -> Liveship trilogy -> Fool trilogy -> Dragon duology.

I haven't read that last part yet, I like to leave some space between my Robin Hobb bouts (because I read entire Robin Hobb books in two or three days, despite them being lengthy), but the first three trilogies, I have to say, I HIGHLY recommend.

If you're planning to start the series, look for Assassin's Apprentice, as it is the first book, period.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 2 [3]