Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Halp! Demonstrations!  (Read 797 times)

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Halp! Demonstrations!
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:53:18 am »

The first fort I made in the newest version had such lovely demonstrations.  The dwarves would organize useful things like Armor User, FIghting, or Shield User (Some kicking and striking, but not much) and they'd spend most of their time doing those, a sparring match, or individual combat drills.

Now it's pretty much all Striking/Wrestling.  Occasionally there's dodging.  Right now I have a squad that is actually choosing a demonstration despite none of them having any skills.  How do I make this nonsense stop?   It's getting to the point where I'd pretty much rather deactivate them, turn off their labors, and just have them individual train so they'll at least kill.

I'm aware of the three dwarf squad thing, but it feels super cheap, and it'd be a nightmare to manage in an actual fight.  Plus the demonstrations I was having before were so darn USEFUL.  Can I please just make them stop with the useless ones?

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halp! Demonstrations!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:46:35 am »

Sounds like you don't have them active.

Alert menu is far more complex than it seems. Study it much more--chances are your problem lies there. Your men won't do anything bu individual study if they're not on active duty, and only then if they're even remotely close to assertive in their personality.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:05:32 am »

He's complaining about the demonstrations, so his military is active.
I have the same problem : They seem to like making stiking/dodging demonstrations, and no axe or sword practice. I think it's because of the migrant recruit's skills : They often have striking at a good level, but no weapon experience, so the squads are filled with far more stike trainers (i.e. drunken brawlers) than weapon trainers.

It's kinda frustrating  :-\

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 02:17:11 am »

They organize demonstrations depending on their best skill. So you have to have 1-2 skilled soldiers in you squad, preferably with high teaching skill. Have soldiers fight unarmed goblins on arena to get skills fast.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:29:17 am »

Striking is mad useful though--it's what makes those occasional punches and kicks occasionally burst a brain or shatter a rib cage into a heart. Think end of Kill Bil vol. 2, and fear the might of striking,
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37:15 am »

Striking is mad useful though--it's what makes those occasional punches and kicks occasionally burst a brain or shatter a rib cage into a heart. Think end of Kill Bil vol. 2, and fear the might of striking,

except instead, the guy who gets striked is encased in steel armor. the striker would be regretting their decision.

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 02:19:49 pm »

SEe, if it was just their strongerest skill I'd put them with the Sheriff; she's at Proficient Axedwarf and + or -1 rank Fighter.  But she had a tendency to train Striking too (Despite being 'competent')  I know Fighting can be taught because I saw teh demonstrations in this and the previous fort, but that's not what's happening.

I ended up biting the bullet and making 3 dwarf squads; I'd LOVE to not do this and still have a remotely functioning melee squad, but it's just not working out.  I'm actually seeing some sparring now, and most of the demonstrations have been Armor User/Fighting/Shield User and an Axe demonstration.  I'm still seeing some Striking but it's rarer.  Still haven't had a recruit evolve into their proper form though.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »

except instead, the guy who gets striked is encased in steel armor. the striker would be regretting their decision.

Fixed for you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)