Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Might and Magic Fan-made game looking for help  (Read 4235 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Might and Magic Fan-made game looking for help
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:26:55 pm »

The last time people tried this, not many people heard of it, so I figured I'd post it here as I know there are those who love the old M&M universe here.

http://www.thegaminguniverse.org/forum/index.php?topic=40648.0

In other words, if you have the talents and the time, why not put your name on this project? It seems to be tied to the now defunct old Castle Gobs forums and their project, as that's how I found this new, more recent forums. I'd hope they use what the Castle Gob's had made since 2003 in addition to their own work, there were some nice screens coming out of Castle Gobs for a while.

EDIT: Posted a link to this thread on their forums. Also I'll be volunteering my innumerable talents, which will be provided at my leisure.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:35:25 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Might and Magic Fan-made game looking for help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:04 pm »

* Project has been ongoing since at least 2009, and so far as I can tell they're still looking for programmers.
 * The forums list two websites for the project. One is no longer valid and the other was last updated in May 2009
 * Looking at forum activity, I see several necrod "New update!" threads with posts dated 2010, but those threads were all created in 2009.
 * The teaser video for the project is dated 2009, and as of that time the video claims the project had already been "under development for years" and describes its release as "approaching fast"

I don't get the overwhelming impression that this project is going anywhere.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 10:42:57 pm »

If a project doesn't attract a few good men to keep things in shape, they slowly rot... Sorry to say, but things have a stench of decay here.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »

I had such hope for the project, then discovered how the "project leader" there thinks, along with the kind of mind the project attracts. There is one person there who has his act together, but seems to be waiting until someone else comes up who does.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

MMX Alamar

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the M&M10 Development Team!
    • View Profile
    • Might & Magic 10: Children of the Void [Facebook Page]
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:19 am »

Hey guys, while it may seem like MM10 isn't going anywhere, the project is far from dead. Duuvian, I want to thank you for starting this thread and volunteering your services!

Might & Magic 10 has evolved much since it was first created and Deyja Vu Studios named themselves in 2009. A whole entire game has been scrapped since then, and many developers have faded into the background. I can completely understand your lack of faith in the project, which is why I am here. ;)

First I want to make it clear that MM10 and MMT on Castle Gobs are two totally different projects. They are similar in that they are ongoing fan projects, but they are completely separate entities. I have been informed that Ribannah who created and leads MMT has been carrying the load of almost the entire project for some time now, and is making great progress behind the scenes. MMT has gained new members as well and is wokring on a restoration effort. I have learned this from Asomath, MMTs current public affairs manager as of 2011.

MM10 is also working on a restoration effort, and we are doing quite well right now compared to where we were at the end of last year in 2010. We are pretty much starting from scratch though and we still have a long way to go.

As a part of our restoration efforts, Might & Magic 10 has put together a flourishing Facebook page to keep our fans up to date with the project. You are welcome to visit it here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Might-Magic-10-Children-of-the-Void/134591446605146

These are our goals for May 2011:
-Launch a new interactive website for MMX
-Redesign the MMX forums at the Gaming Universe
-Begin developing a brand new game engine based on open source software and applications
-Developing the storyline, quests, and areas/locations
-Hire new developers for writing, art, and programming
-Begin releasing concept art and new graphics

As with MMT, most of the work on MM10 is going on behind the scenes. The newly developed aspects of the game are stored in the private section of the MMX forums, which is invisible to non-dev team members. The remainder of the work is being done over email and MSN Messenger. This is why you may find little physical evidence of the project. I have tried to post informational threads for the public, and I am working on getting some graphics out there so we can provide you with more unquestionable evidence of our progress.

@ Nivm, I remember seeing your name throughout the MMX forums. You control cube icon is very memorable :)

Vector is our project leader, but he doesn't have the time or the resources to manage the entire project on his own. He has personal matters that he needs to attend to, and things like these take time. For those of you who want to become developers, you need to think of Vector as an observer who steps in when he needs to, and does excellent work when he has the free time.

I hope this has cleared a lot of things up, and please contact me if you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, or if you would like to join our project and help out! :)

-Ari

MMX Alamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 12:02:20 pm »

Bump!

I'm very interested in what you guys think now that I have clarified some things about the Might & Magic 10 project.

MMX Alamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »

Bump!

Boy, these forums are really active. This topic keeps finding its way to the next page ???

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 02:30:24 pm »

While I appreciate that you want to draw attention to your project, frequent contentless bumps aren't really appropriate here.

Good luck, btw.  As a Might & Magic fan, I'd love to see a well-built fan sequel.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »

The best bump is the one that contains content updates. That gets people more interested in your thread, even if they weren't before.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »

I should warn you, bumping for the sake of bumping leads to reporting and banning.

However, updating a topic with new information is totally appropriate.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »

I must admit that I am interested. I loved Might and Magic 6 & 7 as well as Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and 5. Anything that does justice to either series is ok by me.

MMX Alamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »

Thanks guys, I'm not too uptight about letting a bit of bumping happen, but I realize you have to keep the peace as well, so I'll post some information along with my bumps from now on. :)

Here's a brief description of the currently planned setting for Might & Magic 10:

MM10 takes place on the planet Axeoth, where MM9 and Heroes 4, along with the expansions took place as well. In addition, the original story planned for Legends of Might & Magic takes place on Axeoth too, as does the book "The Sea of Mist", written by Mel Odom.

===Might & Magic X: Children of the Void===

The M&MX game is set in a land called Rysh, which is inspired by a Nordic, Celtic, and Viking influence. There was once a great empire called the Ursanian Empire that ruled over Rysh, which collapsed when a powerful sorcerer named Verhoffin cast a spell that destroyed the Empire's Capitol and sunk about a third of the entire empire. The Empire's fall was about 550 years ago, and sea travel is now very prominent because of the sea that Verhoffin created from casting his spell.
The provinces of Rysh include Chedian (explored in MM9), Framon (partially explored in MM9), Beldonia (mentioned only in MM9), Mendossus (mentioned only in MM9) and finally Xixis, which was mentioned only in ONE line of NPC dialogue in MM9. "The Xixis" was referred to by a historian hanging around Guberland Tavern in Guberland, where the Guberland Players put on a performance of an ancient tragedy from the days of the Ursanian Empire where Emperor Trislan was supposedly slain by his Guard Captain.

Well, that's a little tidbit of storyline summary for now! :)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 01:31:39 am »

You guys restarted the project last Winter, from what I noticed. Is that right? How much work have ya done in that time? Also, what Might and Magic games would you recommend? I haven't played many/any of them, but they've always seemed kinda interesting.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 01:53:32 am »

Also, what Might and Magic games would you recommend? I haven't played many/any of them, but they've always seemed kinda interesting.

Though I think there are a few side games, there are two main series.  Might & Magic is a first-person party-based adventure-RPG with tactical combat and puzzles (lever puzzles and riddles, basically).  Heroes of Might & Magic is a turn-based strategy game where you build up towns on one hand and hire heroes to lead your armies and gather resources/artifacts, slay enemy heroes, and conquer other towns on the other.  They're both good series and share common settings.  For example, MM6 shares a region and to some extent storyline with HoMM2.  Likewise MM7 and HoMM3, though both pairs share the same world.  Also lore continuity.

In the Heroes series, I played a tiny bit of 1 and 2 looong ago, so I can't say much there.  3 is pretty sweet, though.  If you play 3, there's a fantastic mod for it:  In the Wake of Gods.  It's not entirely stable (intermittent crashes, though not too frequent), but adds all kinds of neat features.

In the Might & Magic series, I've played 6-9.  6 is easily my favorite, mostly due to the story and setting, though the drawn/'shopped character portraits are pretty awesome compared to the lame CG ones in the later games.  7 is my 2nd favorite, with a great story and setting and IMO the best gameplay (classes, skills, and so forth).

8 is a letdown but still worth playing.  It feels shorter than 6 & 7, you only design one party member (you add/drop NPCs along the way), has simplified character choices (race and class are joined e.g. minotaurs are basically paladins), has IMO a less satisfying story, and the ending is poorly thought out and reeks of rushed-release-itis.

9 is basically a beta release.  It's horrifically ugly.  It's the first in the series to feature 3D models for enemies.  Their textures are horrid and the models themselves are pretty simplistic (understandably so, since you face hordes of them as is par for the series).  There are IIRC fewer quests than ever and plenty of cut corners, including an unfinished dungeon with IIRC no related quests (barely started before the release deadline).  The controls are fantastic.  IIRC it has the most configurable commands of the series, and it's certainly the first to feature mouselook (so you can control it like an FPS), which is awesome.  The classes/skills went back in a MM6+7 direction, which is nice.  It also featured two decision points for class promotion.  MM7 had a Light/Dark option for the second promotion.  IIRC MM9 had two choices for each promotion.  So there really were some good design decisions in there, but the game wasn't even close to finished.

If you play Might & Magic 6-8, there are some awesome unofficial patches that have come out in recent years.  They fix a few bugs, add mouselook, and generally improve the games.  You should be able to find them here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:59:35 am by Earthquake Damage »

MMX Alamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:52 pm »

You guys restarted the project last Winter, from what I noticed. Is that right? How much work have ya done in that time? Also, what Might and Magic games would you recommend? I haven't played many/any of them, but they've always seemed kinda interesting.
Yes, we scrapped the entire storyline for the first plans of MMX. It has recently been recreated and it's a wonderful work in progress!
As for other Might & Magic games, my personal favorites are HoMM 2 and MM6.

There are IIRC fewer quests than ever and plenty of cut corners, including an unfinished dungeon with IIRC no related quests (barely started before the release deadline).
Which of the dungeons in MM9 is unfinished?
By the way, I believe Legends of Might & Magic was the first game to feature 3D modeling. I've heard that there was a lot of crossover work between LoMM and MM9, though.
Pages: [1] 2