Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The End-Phase 8  (Read 3709 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: The End-Phase 5
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2011, 04:07:41 pm »

Phase 6

Spoiler: Orders (click to show/hide)

Deciding the Gunboat is the greatest threat, you engage your afterburners and turn toward Starboard, and the vaguely starfish shaped enemy broadsword fighter sluggishly moves to intercept. You override your computer manually and input two targets at the same time. Your missile easily connects against the enemy fighter, and you see his shields flash bright red-sure sign you've scored a good hit. You move into gun range-you execute a perfect roll and come up behind him, and let loose your guns-he jigs your first shot, but the second volley connects and shreds into his armor. He's on the ropes, but instead of finshing him off, you activate your manuevering engines and turn your nose starboard, and fire your second missile at the gunboat, which is currently deploying its weapon. Your missile evades the few sloppily fired flares and badly aimed flak cannons and scores a direct hit, but caroms off his shield with moderate effect. You've softened him up and made the bombers job easier, at least.

Snow Owl moves to take on the three needlers, taking on all 3 at the same time-you watch this ballet of death with a surgeons eye, as she reaps three lives in the space of 5 seconds. Beautiful.

The Bomber continues toward you-next phase, he'll hit his afterburners and be able to drop a payload on the enemy gunboat. Your homemade sensor continues to go crazy though-now it's getting an odd reading to your rear, long range. What's wrong with this thing? Then you hear that familiar voice.

Your attention is drawn to your frontal sensors-3 fresh ships incoming, moving in standard Tarrak offensive reverse wedge formation. That usually precludes a bombing run.

Spoiler: rolls (click to show/hide)

Ship Status
Type:Thunderchild Starfighter
Armor Integrity: 100%
Shield Integrity:  100%
Missiles: 0 remaining (Blackshot Fg4 homing, long range)
Guns: 4 Xerxes Rail guns (200 rounds remaining, close range)
Generator: 4 MgWT (recharge 2 Mgwt a turn, afterburners -4 MgWT a phase)
Fuel Remaining: 55%
Active Bonuses: Balanced Craft (+1 to all rolls)

Sensors
FRONTAL
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

REAR

PORT

STARBOARD

Communications
Typhoon Interceptor, Callsign -Snow Owl-: "Well, that was easy. Are you getting some strange readings Blue Sky?"

Blizzard Bomber, Callsign -Floral Prince-: "ETA one phase to bomb gunboat Blue Sky, keep that Broadsword from intercepting me, will ya?"

50 Megaton Civilian Freighter, Unindentified Speaker: "I think we're gonna make it. We have to make it."

Unknown Transmission, Unidentified Speaker (Sounds familiar...your old "friend"...): "Did you really think you could escape me?"
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 04:15:34 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: The End-Phase 6
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 04:24:46 pm »

"Snow Owl, affirmative, unknown readings at long range off my port side. In addition, I have an unknown transmission from unknown source, possibly hostile. Snow Owl, cover the freighter, I detect a Tarrak bombing run."

"Floral Prince, roger that. Moving in to cover you."

Get into close range with Floral Prince, intercept any threats.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 04:26:45 pm »

comm- "nah snow owl... it's nothing. SHIT, we've got more broadswords. Cover me while I clear the way for Floral Prince"

comm- "well... never thought I'd hear from you again. However, I guess it was inevitable that one day we would meet again."

continue firing railguns at the broadsword. Once done, we attack the incoming bomber wave, starting with the Halberd

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 05:28:54 pm »

Seems your invested in this little exercise ggamer! I'll assign sole control of the Thunderchild to you if you want it, and throw in another allied vessel to follow public orders.

As you move to intercept the bomber, a previously hidden landing bay emerges from the side of the megaton freighter-you see an emergency hatch blow off and a small civilian fighter emerges.

50 Megaton Civilian Freighter, Unindentified Speaker: "That old girls ready to go-I've done some nice work on her, couldn't think of a better use."

-New Ship added-

Ship Status
Type: Hellhound Civilian Starfighter
Missiles: 2 remaining (Vorpal Type-Zeta Cluster Bombs #illeglly modiified#, close range, x2 vs shields)
Guns: 2 Type Z98 Pulse Guns  #illeglly modiified# (50 rounds remaining, close range)
Generator: 5/5 MgWT (recharge 1 Mgwt a phase)
Fuel Remaining: 100%
Active Bonuses: Modified Heavy Guns (+3 to Weaponry), Modified Manuvering Jets (Afterburners add +3 to manuevering when used), Makeshift Defenses (-3 to armor, -3 to shields)

^=additional info=^
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 05:46:11 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

sweet, thanks man.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2011, 09:58:29 pm »

Wait, so we now give orders to the hellhound and ggamer gets his own ship?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 09:42:18 am »

Mcclay, yep.

I guess with multiple fighters in play, the sensors will stay centered on the Freighter, so the HellHound and Thunderchild will just be listed normally. Also, you'll notice if you try to move more than one distance unit, like from medium range in one direction to medium range in another, I'll automatically interpret that as turning on your afterburners, with increases your energy usage and doubles fuel useage for that turn-going past your generators overload point will give you a 10% chance per MgWT gone under of blowing up.

Phase 7

When it rains it pours...you quickly reacquire the Tarrak Broadsword and render it unto the void with a burst of cannon. The pilot gets lucky though-instead of death the Broadsword's rear power generator absorbs the fire and merely explode in a cloud of particles, disabling him. Wasting no time, you hit your afterburners again and fly by Floral Prince and Hellhound, as they go to attack the gunboat.

Under the cover of the Hellhound, which baits the gunboat into wasting it's first volley, the Floral Prince easily dodges the flak screen and sets four torpedoes along the weakened gunboats hull before it can fire-the already damaged ship literally implodes, it's crews death cries competing with the cheers from those within the freighter.

Before you can comm up Floral Prince to congratulate him, your sensor screeches loudly-and you have just enough time to try and warn him as the enemy warbird materializes from subspace right behind him...but the pilot of the Hellhound maintained formation, and he does a corkscrew turn to throw off the War Birds aim-he barely dodges the deadly returning fire with the last of his afterburner's strength. The bomber turns around to assisst, but he see's only space...the Battle Axe has already disappeared. You've faced this one before, and your sure if he had wanted, he would have taken them both. Why the games?

Snow Owl is waiting up ahead, impatient to charge the enemy formation. You order her to engage the covering fighter, while you go for the bomber. Together, you move forward, Snow Owl firing her last missile at the covering fighter-it goes right through the frontal shielding, but doesn't do additional damage. The fighter breaks formation and engages her, send powerful bursts from his frontal cannons-she is quick to react, and skillfully leads him off while dodging his clumsy shots-leaving the bomber wide open to you. It doesn't deviate from it's straight course toward the freighter, and you empty your guns alongside it's entire length-it's limping now (Sensors 3 vs 1, pass) and you can tell you've knocked off something important-the targeting array. Lucky...

The remaining Broadsword turns toward you and opens fire, but you easily evade and come up behind him and let fly, dropping his shields and peppering his hull with rail gun rounds. If only all the Tarrak had been this stupid...

The damaged fighter which has been approaching the freighter (luck roll 10 vs 3), floats by the freighter without any course correction. Apparently it's being flown by a corpse.

Yet more tarrak fighters approach...look's like an interceptor and fighter sqaudron. Now things get interesting.

Spoiler:  NPC rolls (click to show/hide)

Ship Status
Type:Thunderchild Starfighter (Controlled by ggamer)
Guns: 4 Xerxes Rail guns (170 rounds remaining, close range)
Generator: 2/10 MgWT (recharge 2 Mgwt a turn, afterburners -4 MgWT a phase, *warning, generator overload imminent*)
Fuel Remaining: 45%

Type: Hellhound Civilian Starfighter (public control, open to all)
Missiles: 2 remaining (Vorpal Type-Zeta Cluster Bombs #illeglly modiified#, close range, x2 vs shields)
Guns: 2 Type Z98 Pulse Guns  #illeglly modiified# (50 rounds remaining, close range)
Generator: 2/5 MgWT (recharge 1 Mgwt a phase, afterburners -4 MgWT a phase, *warning, generator overload imminent*)
Fuel Remaining: 90%
Active Bonuses: Modified Heavy Guns (+3 to Weaponry), Modified Manuvering Jets (Afterburners add +3 to manuevering when used), Makeshift Defenses (-3 to armor, -3 to shields)

Sensors
FRONTAL

REAR

^=Additional Info=^

CENTER

PORT

STARBOARD

^=Additional Info=^

Communications
Typhoon Interceptor, Callsign -Snow Owl-: "Finish him off, I've got this one!"

Blizzard Bomber, Callsign -Floral Prince-: "Scratch one gunboat...I'm...the fuck, what was that? Thanks for the save Hell Hound"

HellHound Civilian Fighter, callsign -Wall Crawler-: "No problem...keep a eye out for him, he's got talent..."

50 Megaton Civilian Freighter, Unindentified Speaker: "We're almost done...1 ETA to completed repairs, then we'll need one more phase to warp out. We're gonna make it!"

Unknown Transmission, Unidentified Speaker (Your old "friend"): "Tell me when your ready to fight for real..."
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:11:50 am by Dwarmin »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The End-Phase 7
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:04 am »

I actually liked it better when the rolls weren't in a spoiler. Maybe you could include them using acronym tags? Might be too much work, thou.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 10:03:45 am »

All right, player moves are in acronym then, I'll keep NPC rolls in spoiler.

Speaking of which, does anyone have questions on the combat system?

Right now it's

1. Roll Opposed Manuvering
2. High roll fires, every 3 above the enemy defense roll means you fire an additional shot
3. Targeting Vs Manuvering to determine hit
3. Normal shots are D10 damage, plus modifier
4. Every hit on the hull has a chance to inflict extra critical damage.
Points on your ships armor delay this, though-A Thunderchild has +1 armor naturally, and one that takes 2 hull damage will only suffer 10% chance instead of 20%.

Assuming critical hits connect, I roll a D10...

and finally roll for severity/duration if applicable.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 10:25:43 am by Dwarmin »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »

comm- "Will do, snow owl"

Do not deviate from course, continue firing at the bomber

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 12:47:25 pm »

Remember Dwarmin, It's a bumpy road ahead.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2011, 09:43:53 am »

I guess I was waiting for something. Oh well!
Also, I was a bit off on my estimation of how much damage the freighter could take. D:

Phase 8
You pursue the bomber, your heart pounding in your ears. Just...a little bit...closer... before you can get a lock, the bomber releases his deadly payload. (Intiative You 1 vs Enemy 5) Even with a broken sensor, the torpedoes need little help to hit a target as large as the freighter...you continue after the bomber, still, and open fire, destroying it pretty much instantly. Little comfort...you look back to the freighter. It's in bad shape, but it's still intact. The worst damage was to the frontal mining laser, it seems.

Snow owl Squares off against the two fighters-outnumbered, she manages to shoot the shields off one before getting caught in a well planned crossfire-her ships shields buckle, and her hull takes a pounding. She's still fighting though.

There's dozens of warp signatures now, and more ships incoming...the freighter reports they're finished with repairs and about to warp out-anyone who wants to risk the trip can ride in the freighters wake, but they admit they have no idea where they are going-just that it's away from here. Do you stay? Or do you go...where is there to go, anyway? You know of a well hidden military station near Jupiter that went dark months ago to avoid detection, and there's always the Phobos base...last you heard, there was a military fallback point outside of the system, but that's might have been dectected by now...choices, choices...you hear from your "old friend" that he'll spare no expense in hunting you down, so even if you escape today, you might be dooming the crew of the freighter. Choices...choices...time..

^=Additional Info=^

Spoiler:  NPC rolls (click to show/hide)

Ship Status
Type:Thunderchild Starfighter (Controlled by ggamer)
Guns: 4 Xerxes Rail guns (140 rounds remaining, close range)
Generator: 4/10 MgWT (recharge 2 Mgwt a turn)
Fuel Remaining: 40%

Type: Hellhound Civilian Starfighter (public control, open to all)
Generator: 3/5 MgWT (recharge 1 Mgwt a phase)
Fuel Remaining: 85%

Sensors
FRONTAL

REAR

CENTER

PORT

STARBOARD

Communications
Typhoon Interceptor, Callsign -Snow Owl-: "Shit... Sorry Blue sky, this is one trip I'm not going to be able to take with you. I guess I'll say hi to all our friends."

Blizzard Bomber, Callsign -Floral Prince-: "...I'm going for it."

HellHound Civilian Fighter, callsign -Wall Crawler-: "My families on the megaton...I'm going."

50 Megaton Civilian Freighter, Unindentified Speaker: "Damn! We lost the entire lower deck...lucky it was only be used for supplies, right?
Well, Last chance, everyone who's left...prepare for warp jump. Any suggestions on where to go Blue Sky?"

Unknown Transmission, Unidentified Speaker (Your old "friend"): "Are you sure you want to run with them? One freighter can be ignored, but if you stay with them and deny me battle on this day, I promise our full force will be used hunt you down. Make your choice..."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:52:29 am by Dwarmin »

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The End-Phase 8
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:12 am »

Tell everyone to fall in line behind the freighter, and get the hell outta dodge!

If we could do a double jump, I'd say go to the military station, then if things go wrong, just get back into hyperspace

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 09:55:36 am »

Without special equipment there's no staying in subspace, unless you want to stay forever. :P

I guess it should take a phase to "recharge" your warp drive, and one more to warp out. So you'll have to stick around a bit! Mwahaha

1 vote for military station.

EDIT: I should of added jump distances too-you can get to Jupiter or Phobos from Earth in one warp, getting to the fallback point will take two, from either Earth. or any of those points.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 10:02:34 am by Dwarmin »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 04:56:23 pm »

No.

comm- "You know what? fuck you. I've been hunting you down for seven. Godforsaken. Years. It ends here."

comm- "Thanks snow owl. Godsend."

comm- "Civilian freighter, this is blue sky. I'm afraid i'm going to have to stay here. Suggesting The base at Jupiter."

comm- "Floral prince, as soon as you drop payload, bug out with the freighter."

prepare to engage with our "friend"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 08:28:50 pm by ggamer »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4