Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten races  (Read 745 times)

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten races
« on: April 30, 2011, 02:43:17 pm »

I got a FB message. It was a leech with deadly dust. I already knew that this was going to be FUN, looking at it. Not long after it appeared, it moved closer to where I had sealed the cavern breech. There was a small camp of cave swallow men there.

FB vs 5 Cave swallow man

FB got in close, and the birds started with blowguns and nether cap darts. When the beast got close, it unleashed that dust attack, filling pretty much the entire screen with dust and blocking vision. The facepalm came when the dust cleared. The FB looked like it had been thrown aside and was dead. More then that, none of the birds had been wounded.

All this happened in a single day.

Now, Will the birds be hostile to me also?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten races
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:54:34 pm »

Beastfolk tribes in the caverns are hostile by default. However, if one of them lands a kill on a Forgotten Beast, that one will become friendly, even though all the others will remain hostile to you.

Also, depending on what syndromes that deadly dust attack causes, that tribe might still end up dying horribly.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:08:00 pm »

Like having their faces melt off. Cordon off the area for three months until you can determine the possible syndrome, if any.

It is kinda interesting how the creature would just turn friendly like that. Why is that?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

zarokima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 03:14:13 pm »

It is kinda interesting how the creature would just turn friendly like that. Why is that?

Some kind of bug, probably. As a straight-up guess, maybe because killing a Forgotten Beast counts as a historical event, which would be expected to be made by one of your dwarves, and...I don't know.
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into a ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »

Like having their faces melt off. Cordon off the area for three months until you can determine the possible syndrome, if any.

Maybe it's like how it works in Adventure mode.  If you go out and kill some big bad guy (or enough little bad guys) that's hostile to some other hostile civilization, then they can all become friendly to you because you become a Hero to that civilization.  For instance, once I was playing a human (maybe dwarf) of a civ at war with these elves.  Their patrols would stop me and attack me and stuff when I was near their territory.  Then I killed a bunch of baddies nearby, night creatures and stuff.  Their patrols still stopped and threatened me, but they just stood there and wouldn't attack.