Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Evil plants in real life.  (Read 4177 times)

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
Re: Evil plants in real life.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 09:09:35 am »

The author must really fear be a dicks to call anything shaped thusly as the most evil looking of all!

Better. Seems like high school poop humor style : "Uh uh! Hey Beavis! this looks like a dick! Uh uh!"

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_Tree

I think this monstrosity tops anything on that list.  Toxic sap, spikes everywhere, and fragmentation grenades instead of fruit.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:44:40 pm »

Actually, I found the links off of that article to be the most fun and interesting...

Apparently, that bleeding tooth mushroom is used as a dye, just like Dimple Cups are in-game.  In fact, they can be blue like dimple cups with the right mordant applied. 

There are also a list of mushroom dyes listed off of the Wikipedia page, and most of them require either salt water or ammonia to bring out their dye color.

Ammonia, of course, being derivable from urine, so we have another use for sewage in this game, as well.

Fun stuff!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »

We need sandbox trees. Now.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 10:51:42 pm »

We need sandbox trees. Now.
Maybe as creatures who are immobile? So they can attack you when you get near to them? And after all who would eat their fruit?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 11:11:02 pm »

Actually, I found the links off of that article to be the most fun and interesting...

Apparently, that bleeding tooth mushroom is used as a dye, just like Dimple Cups are in-game.  In fact, they can be blue like dimple cups with the right mordant applied. 

There are also a list of mushroom dyes listed off of the Wikipedia page, and most of them require either salt water or ammonia to bring out their dye color.

Ammonia, of course, being derivable from urine, so we have another use for sewage in this game, as well.

Fun stuff!
I have blood boils from the underground plant compilation in our mod, and I think those were inspired by this mushroom :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:25 am »

I could definitely go for having a reason to want to embark somewhere with salt water.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 03:55:06 pm »

I'm never going to look at my dyers the same way now....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »

I'm never going to look at my dyers the same way now....

You might want to brace yourself for what I'm about to say.

You see, the dyers can't beat the tanners when it comes to disgusting raw material sources. Ammonia from urine is where they start.
Pages: 1 [2]