Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not Exactly Terrifying  (Read 952 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not Exactly Terrifying
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:54 pm »

I embarked a few minutes ago into some terrifying mountains. I even brought along a hammerdwarf; I was pretty well prepared.

Wild animals: Mountain goat; Mountain goat. Nothing remotely terrifying. Later, some geese came in. That's it so far.

Does this happen often? and; is there any way to assuredly start somewhere truly terrifying?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Not Exactly Terrifying
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:23:35 pm »

Just wait a little longer. You'll probably start seeing undead creatures rolling around. Also remember that the good/evil balance affects the caverns too; skeletal troglodytes aren't much fun.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:25:10 pm »

Geese? Geese are real killers. You shouldn't underestimate them just because of their geese-ness.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:51 pm »

This is good news. I'll eagerly be awaiting the Fun.

Though, is it always like this? I recall embarking a few versions (or more) ago into an evil biome and being invaded immediately by slugmen and the like.

EDIT: Suddenly, capybara. About 20 giant capybara came out of nowhere, with a giant eagle to top it off. Fun marches in on large rodent feet.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:31:35 pm by Lectorog »

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:32:01 pm »

It's completely random.  I've started on a map with a pack of beak dogs before; I've also managed to go years before seeing anything vaguely evil or skeletal. 
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:32:40 pm »

Your package of Fun is being delivered. Please wait.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:25 pm »

It looks like the crew of giants came to interrupt my wood cutter, gnaw off the leg and arm of my hammerdwarf, and leave. I'm now entirely without a military on a Terrifying mountain; but I've established my fortress in a very defensible valley. After I finish this last wall, there will be two ways in and out.

I just noticed that I also forgot to embark with an anvil and booze. Nope, no alcohol for my dwarves. Those plump helmets had better be ready soon.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:58 pm »

I just noticed that I also forgot to embark with an anvil and booze. Nope, no alcohol for my dwarves.
YOU SICK SADISTIC BASTARD. MAY SKELETAL CARP SMITE YOU IN THE CIRCUS, YOU FREAK!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »

Creatures so far: Hoary marmots and Yak cows. A wave of 2 migrants and 2 pets arrived also. Completely useless, as one may predict.

Still nothing terrifying yet. Except for the lack of booze. That was pretty scary.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:33 pm »

I've been under the impression that zombies and skeletons don't even exist in the latest version, in the 8 collective years I've spent between a Haunted and a Terrifying embark I have yet to see a single one. Granted both these embarks were halfway into a relatively benign forest, still pretty disappointing though.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »

I've been under the impression that zombies and skeletons don't even exist in the latest version, in the 8 collective years I've spent between a Haunted and a Terrifying embark I have yet to see a single one. Granted both these embarks were halfway into a relatively benign forest, still pretty disappointing though.
Some have them, some don't. Kinda like not embarks have GCS's.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 02:47:27 am »

Terrifying embarks don't usually have undead (those live in haunted, I thought), instead they have regular wildlife. And harpies, werewolves and ogres. They'll show soon enough. Have fun!
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 03:26:03 am »

immigrants are never useless

bones are always handy for crafts and training bolts and those clothers give a nice price at the depod